Shez: We don't want our local youngsters supporting Manchester United or City

Shez wants local youngsters to support Latics and backs the BOGOF/reduced admission price idea. He says "Hopefully we can get a few people down who haven't been before, put on a good performance and get them coming back". Amen to that!

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1493670,00.html

Shez is right - and at £10/£2 today it's still worth getting your mates to come along too.

Another thought though.

Do the occasional chants of hating Man U and City too discourage fans of "bigger" sides coming to watch Latics?

I do wonder whether that alienates those who may otherwise adopt Oldham as a second team.

Yup, I'd rather locals supported Latics first and foremost, but getting a bigger share of City and Utd fans down to BP to back the lads on matchday can only be good for the club.

Shez is right - and at £10/£2 today it's still worth getting your mates to come along too.

Another thought though.

Do the occasional chants of hating Man U and City too discourage fans of "bigger" sides coming to watch Latics?

I do wonder whether that alienates those who may otherwise adopt Oldham as a second team.

Yup, I'd rather locals supported Latics first and foremost, but getting a bigger share of City and Utd fans down to BP to back the lads on matchday can only be good for the club.

I dont want them to adopt us as a second team, If they come when they're away/got no game then fair enough but they still have to remember that we have reasons to dislike them - If i knew there would reds there I would sing anti scum songs louder. We cant adapt a more friendly attitude on the assumption that a few reds might turn up - I'd sooner alienate a few rather thatn lose an identity

I dont want them to adopt us as a second team, If they come when they're away/got no game then fair enough but they still have to remember that we have reasons to dislike them - If i knew there would reds there I would sing anti scum songs louder. We cant adapt a more friendly attitude on the assumption that a few reds might turn up - I'd sooner alienate a few rather thatn lose an identity
If they bring their kids, their kids will get to love seeing real football instead of TV football. Singing "we hate man u ..." is pretty pointless at the best of times - would rather be getting behind the team on the pitch.

If they bring their kids, their kids will get to love seeing real football instead of TV football. Singing "we hate man u ..." is pretty pointless at the best of times - would rather be getting behind the team on the pitch.

agreed about getting behind the team, but we sing about past players, teams we dont like - you need to have a laugh aswell. T famous man united went to rome to see the pope......

good post,i'am sure man united fans don't really lose any sleep over us anyway,still going to be hard to get local children to support us when united and city are as big as they are,kids can be cruel if your the only one with a latics top on in your class your going to get some stick.

kids can be cruel if your the only one with a latics top on in your class your going to get some stick.

My youngest is the only Latics fan in his class.

He may get stick when they lose, but it's no different to what he can give back to the City/Utd fans.

He's also the only one who sees football live week in, week out. A far better place to be!

good post,i'am sure man united fans don't really lose any sleep over us anyway,still going to be hard to get local children to support us when united and city are as big as they are,kids can be cruel if your the only one with a latics top on in your class your going to get some stick.

what is this??? lets befriend a plastic manc? - get a grip, I dont care if they dont lose any sleep over us i still dont like them for valid reasons, why should we get rid of traditional rivalries? I wore a latics shirt since the age of 5 in a school full of reds and loved the banter. The new kids that come that may be swayed and will probably be moulded into latics fans - knowing that there is a passion there will help that. I cant believe i am hearing suggestions of curbing anti utd/city songs.

Edited by longtimeblue

My youngest is the only Latics fan in his class.

He may get stick when they lose, but it's no different to what he can give back to the City/Utd fans.

He's also the only one who sees football live week in, week out. A far better place to be!

I remember being at Diggle Junior School being the only one that seemed to support OLdham. In fact a few slighlty older kids calling me for supporting Oldham PAtheic. Best I could come up with was Manchester puny-ted. But I was about 7.

Two observations.

Get 'em young.

I wonder if that is iwhy I am a stubborn and obstinate bugger sometimes...

Another thought though.

Not sure why people sing about city or united at Latics. We're hardly rivals anymore, why mention them? Support our team rather than slag the munichs off when we are not even in the same league as them. Singing about hating City is hardly going to inspire our boys.

Edited by ritchie82

Not sure why people sing about city or united at Latics. We're hardly rivals anymore, why mention them? Support our team rather than slag the munichs off when we are not even in the same league as them. Singing about hating City is hardly going to inspire our boys.

So what?? history, location, town full of glory hunters, 90, 94, - Football is about having a laugh aswell - shall we stop singing songs about roger and stitch aswell because they dont play for us anymore. Dissapointed to say the least - And i dont think it will hinder the team at all, noise is noise. Taylor loves it

Edited by longtimeblue

So what?? history, location, town full of glory hunters, 90, 94, - Football is about having a laugh aswell - shall we stop singing songs about roger and stitch aswell because they dont play for us anymore. Dissapointed to say the least

I don't see the point in singing about sides we're not playing.

I do see the point in celebrating the players who have graced the hallowed turf before though.

Different things.

Each to his own I s'pose.

So what?? history, location, town full of glory hunters, 90, 94, - Football is about having a laugh aswell - shall we stop singing songs about roger and stitch aswell because they dont play for us anymore. Dissapointed to say the least

:lol:

There are far bigger things to be dissapointed in! One of the things that will never change is our history and the great memories of the pinch me years and the players during that time.... unfortunately one thing that has changed is the relationshp we have with the local teams around us, its much more relevant to sing we hate rochadale or leeds, however people are still obsessed with United and Citeh...

Things change... think we have to accept that now there is a whole generation of fans that no longer think United are a rival... but simply the best football team of this generation... and have no inclination to sing about hating them at all....

As has been said, its about converting kids to live football, and accepting that a lot of younger fans will hopefully support oldham... but still enjoy watching the bigger teams on TV without any hatred...

:lol:

There are far bigger things to be dissapointed in! One of the things that will never change is our history and the great memories of the pinch me years and the players during that time.... unfortunately one thing that has changed is the relationshp we have with the local teams around us, its much more relevant to sing we hate rochadale or leeds, however people are still obsessed with United and Citeh...

Things change... think we have to accept that now there is a whole generation of fans that no longer think United are a rival... but simply the best football team of this generation... and have no inclination to sing about hating them at all....

As has been said, its about converting kids to live football, and accepting that a lot of younger fans will hopefully support oldham... but still enjoy watching the bigger teams on TV without any hatred...

Not for me, I am sick to the very core :wink:

Edited by longtimeblue

Not for me, I am sick to the ery core :mad:

Fair enough... however I see it is more dissapointing if we are still more obsessed in hating Man Yoo, than caring about what our own team are doiing on the pitch... the old "Ah well, we are crap, but as long as man Yoo dont win the league" feeling doesnt quite wash for me...

Time to accept that rivalry is for the history books, and we may have to be a little more accepting of the mock-reds that might have to come and watch us if we are ever going to get to the crowd targets the TTA want...

I dont mind if people think of us as their second club if they come to the games when they can.

Then if we get promoted they may re consider us as their first team.

Exactly the point.

Latics need to broaden their appeal.

Success on the pitch is the major part of this, but there is so much else that can be done to making BP the centre of the town's attention each and every Saturday.

Not alienating Oldhamers who support Manchester clubs is part of that.

Edited by opinions4u

Exactly the point.

Latics need to broaden their appeal.

Success on the pitch is the major part of this, but there is so much else that can be done to making BP the centre of the town's attention each and every Saturday.

Not alienating Oldhamers who support Manchester clubs is part of that.

good point, people need to accept that Robbie Williams is no longer in Take That and you can circumnavigate Manchester by motorway. A couple of my mates are armchair Utd fans but have an outside interest in Latics I get embarrased when they were with me at the Huddersfield game and we were singing anti Man U songs, my mates response was "arent you meant to be playing Huddersfield in League 1?". I still despise Man Utd for what they stand for, but people need to accept they are not our rivals

It makes me laugh that we still think of United and city as rivals, forget it! We will never compete with those two on a level playing ground on or off the pitch EVER!

Today I went with 9 others all from Tameside, the real threat to this club is if Tameside gets a football league side!!

How many of us on here live in Tameside?

It’s the only AGMA authority not to have a league side and the owners are flogging a dead horse with the people of Oldham, the towns not interested in its team and today showed.

It pains me to say it but we would have been better off relocating to Ashton Moss by far!!!!!

If the people of Tameside stopped going to Latics then we would struggle to scrape 2500! For league games.

It makes me laugh that we still think of United and city as rivals, forget it! We will never compete with those two on a level playing ground on or off the pitch EVER!

Today I went with 9 others all from Tameside, the real threat to this club is if Tameside gets a football league side!!

How many of us on here live in Tameside?

It’s the only AGMA authority not to have a league side and the owners are flogging a dead horse with the people of Oldham, the towns not interested in its team and today showed.

It pains me to say it but we would have been better off relocating to Ashton Moss by far!!!!!

If the people of Tameside stopped going to Latics then we would struggle to scrape 2500! For league games.

we need to broaden our horrizons beyond the town of Oldham because that is what other teams are doing and example being Charlton fans trying to promote the club to people in Kent, Tameside would be a good start, it might of helped if todays game was advertised in the Tameside Report and Glossop Chronicle. The company I work for does and they cant even afford to pay for a Christmas meal for it's staff

Edited by Tommy_Fent