Getting customers to buy a product

What an opportunity missed.

In fact there were more opportunities missed yesterday than the average home game. Not only did most of the teams around us drop points again, but the 1000 or so "extra" fans who bothered to turn up on a reduced price ticket may very well not bother again, going off that lacklustre display from Shez and the boys.

The directive yesterday from Mr.Corney - his shift brief if you will - must have been along the lines of - "There are some new/returning customers out there - we must win this game - we must give them incentive to return." The men at the top are trying to get people in the ground, and for that I take my hat off - but in today's market, this message has to reinforced with a decent playing product.

I hope Shez got a bollocking for not coming up with the goods....

In fact there were more opportunities missed yesterday than the average home game. Not only did most of the teams around us drop points again, but the 1000 or so "extra" fans who bothered to turn up on a reduced price ticket may very well not bother again, going off that lacklustre display from Shez and the boys.

The directive yesterday from Mr.Corney - his shift brief if you will - must have been along the lines of - "There are some new/returning customers out there - we must win this game - we must give them incentive to return." The men at the top are trying to get people in the ground, and for that I take my hat off - but in today's market, this message has to reinforced with a decent playing product.

The problem is ...it happens every time we promote cheap entry.

The only time I can ever remember a positive outcome was salvation Sunday against Grimsby when we scored ..was it 5 or 6 and yet the following fixture we were back to the die hards.

It's been said before, the Oldham public have had enough and will not come to watch us in this league, we have to go up sooner rather than later...it's the only way I'm afraid.

The problem is ...it happens every time we promote cheap entry.

The only time I can ever remember a positive outcome was salvation Sunday against Grimsby when we scored ..was it 5 or 6 and yet the following fixture we were back to the die hards.

It's been said before, the Oldham public have had enough and will not come to watch us in this league, we have to go up sooner rather than later...it's the only way I'm afraid.

100% on the head there.

its been tried countless times,its not shown any improvements regarding bums on seats,results matter-not freebies/cheap deals.

100% on the head there.

its been tried countless times,its not shown any improvements regarding bums on seats,results matter-not freebies/cheap deals.

yes indeed, everytime we reduce prices we then turn in a poor performance and frighten everyone away again.

some guy behind me after 20 mins said he would rather be at home picking his nose than watching this.

another said to his mate he could have been down the pub, but a fiver dont buy many pints these days.

says it all. hope they remember these comments when the club folds.

Agree 100% Rummy.

And I'm sorry, the 'we always play like that on free games' excuse doesn't wash. That's just naive.

Every single special offer game is another chance to turn the stay aways. Another chance for Shez to convince them they've a team worth £30 a week. Another chance blown. I don't think Shez has many left.

I'd cut him some slack if Orient parked the coach in front of the goal but he chellenged them to come and play football. They did. We had no answer. Once again. So add Orient to the list of bottom of the league teams who've stumped us. Easily.

Shez hasn't a leg to stand on.

E4e

LEEDS

Agree 100% Rummy.

And I'm sorry, the 'we always play like that on free games' excuse doesn't wash. That's just naive.

Every single special offer game is another chance to turn the stay aways. Another chance for Shez to convince them they've a team worth £30 a week. Another chance blown. I don't think Shez has many left.

I'd cut him some slack if Orient parked the coach in front of the goal but he chellenged them to come and play football. They did. We had no answer. Once again. So add Orient to the list of bottom of the league teams who've stumped us. Easily.

Shez hasn't a leg to stand on.

E4e

LEEDS

I agree Nik Shez has to take the flak for that, and should get a bollocking from TTA. Especially coming out with the 'wehave no leaders on the field', he said that last season, brought some in (maher and lee, who was captain of a very good man u reserve team) and doesnt play them.

Although as long as we are in touch with the chasing pack, I think its only fair he stays.

Sorry what position was Shezza yesterday? Didnt actually notice HIM on the pitch! Right let me just put me ha'pnny across. I was gutted walking out yesterday, it felt like we had got beat 4-0 not drew 1-1. Then I had time to reflect. Orient are a bit of a bogey side, 2 points clear of the dreaded relegation zone. Twas never going to be an easy game. They played a very effective 4-5-1 with first priority to stop us playig through em - it worked. The threat on the break was clearly evident for all to see. They were well drilled well organised and gave everything 110% effort. BUT - we are the mighty Oldham and must surely sweep past everyone who gets in the way - helloooo! Wake up people - anyone who turns up every week expecting 4-0 victories against everyone at home is clearly dillusional. We didnt play well but having a dig at shezza and now thinking that a victory would ensure another 1000 every week - get real peeps!

Sorry what position was Shezza yesterday? Didnt actually notice HIM on the pitch! Right let me just put me ha'pnny across. I was gutted walking out yesterday, it felt like we had got beat 4-0 not drew 1-1. Then I had time to reflect. Orient are a bit of a bogey side, 2 points clear of the dreaded relegation zone. Twas never going to be an easy game. They played a very effective 4-5-1 with first priority to stop us playig through em - it worked. The threat on the break was clearly evident for all to see. They were well drilled well organised and gave everything 110% effort. BUT - we are the mighty Oldham and must surely sweep past everyone who gets in the way - helloooo! Wake up people - anyone who turns up every week expecting 4-0 victories against everyone at home is clearly dillusional. We didnt play well but having a dig at shezza and now thinking that a victory would ensure another 1000 every week - get real peeps!

Re the 4-0 comment, agree the people who expect that need to get real

But I for one expect at least 11 players on the field who look arsed and give it their all. I feel like we didnt get that yesterday

Agree we are league one. But you still need to be entertained, yesterday was another in a ever growing list.

I'm wide awake, the irony of it is that yesterday's performance was like inhaling chloroform. If we are to expect that every week well, I can see attendances dropping off some more.

Do we not have a side assembled to win? Do we not have the tools to get the task done? Are we capable of taking games by the scruff of the neck? I really, really, hope that come May we don't look back at Brighton and Orient at home and think, f**k - there was 4 points for the taking if every there was any - and it kicks us up the arse.

EDIT:

One of my mates yesterday said at half time - "We've dominated that.." - well my version of domination is 3-0 up after 45mins - I'm not asking for it - I'm just highlighting what my perception of dominance is.

If that is our 2008/9 version of it well, creek and paddle spring to mind...

NEW EDIT:

To answer your initial question Leezy, Shez is probably in the position to make the most impact. If there is anybody who could inject the "have a go" spirit in the outfit - it surely must be him.

Leezy, you should concentrate on posing for the paparazzi!!!

If I was you I would be very worried what website them pictures of you are going to turn up on!!! Hahaha!!!!

Not good enough yesterday as was said by others earlier, a few of the lads didn't look up for it. That's the worse I've seen Whittaker play, amount of times he let players run past him with no challenge, should have got Maher on for him.

Still top six though so not too gutted, off to the pub now!! :D

I'm wide awake, the irony of it is that yesterday's performance was like inhaling chloroform. If we are to expect that every week well, I can see attendances dropping off some more.

Do we not have a side assembled to win? Do we not have the tools to get the task done? Are we capable of taking games by the scruff of the neck? I really, really, hope that come May we don't look back at Brighton and Orient at home and think, f**k - there was 4 points for the taking if every there was any - and it kicks us up the arse.

EDIT:

One of my mates yesterday said at half time - "We've dominated that.." - well my version of domination is 3-0 up after 45mins - I'm not asking for it - I'm just highlighting what my perception of dominance is.

If that is our 2008/9 version of it well, creek and paddle spring to mind...

NEW EDIT:

To answer your initial question Leezy, Shez is probably in the position to make the most impact. If there is anybody who could inject the "have a go" spirit in the outfit - it surely must be him.

110 percent true, if we miss out on the playoffs by 4 or 5 points, we could well be looking at them two games thinking if only

Some stalls ran out of pies before kick off. No hot food available in the chaddy end at Half-time. What a f*****g joke. Someone needs to sort that out, lost income and also just makes the club look laughable

Dont think it will affect the club that much as the catering is outsources, they just take a percentage of the takings

I don't think there was a lack of effort from the players yesterday. Sure one or two had poor games, but a poor game doesn't have to mean the player has lacked effort.

For me the problem lies with the different tactics shown by teams such as Orient, Brighton and Yeovil to those employed by Leicester, MK Dons, Scunthorpe and other top half teams and the fact that we keep to exactly the same tactics against all styles. Despite early season success against very poor Chetenham and Hereford sides, we just keep plugging away and do not vary our style. The only time we have changed was in the opening game against Millwall.

We clearly do not have a plan to deal with teams coming and killing our midfield 2 by sticking 3 up against them. The supply to Taylor and Lidds, becomes restricted, balls into the channels for Hughes and Byfield (or Alesandra/O'Grady/Davies take your pick) are stifled and our threat is nulified.

Shez likes a rigid 4-4-2 but to me it apppears that we need to change to a 4-5-1 to match up what the opposition are throwing at us or if we want to go after a game a 3-5-2. With the players we have in our bloated squad this season, we have the ability to change, but do not seem to be prepared to do so.

Throwing O'Grady on in the last minute on the left wing and bringing Taylor into central midfield is not the answer. What does that achieve? O'Grady on the left wing?

Over to you Shez to adapt and overcome.

Cheers,

Harry

I may be incorrect, but isn't the catering done by an outside agency who are charged a fee by Latics for being there?

I think you are correct however I would also expect that latics take a percentage of the takings. My main concern is not the direct loss of income but the fact it makes us look like a joke to anyone who is coming to their first game. Yesterday was made cheap to try and get new/returning fans into BP. The football was :censored: but to top it off you couldn't even get hot food at half time. People talk about the matchday experience, it was non existant at BP yesterday

Finally a Latics fan with some sense. We had no cutting edge that was the problem. The oldham public need to get real. We need there support now more than ever and our attendance has been going down.

What I was thinking yesterday was that we should be actually tryingto get people in on the attractive match days, not the ones that are likely to be rubbish. Surely the idea is to show people anenjoyable day, whereas we look to promote the games that people would more likely decide not to bother with - ie against low down sides when the weather is grim and you've got other things to do. It's not like we are selling out at the games earlier in the season when the sun occasionally shines, why not try to hook people in then?

Its all very well saying that but WTF do you think Leyton Orient are expected to do???? just turn up and lose because we are having a special off on tickets? If Mr bloody Corney just gives a brief to Shez that he must win because there is a big crowd then god help us all that man must no nothing about football.

Did the Leyton Orient chairman brief Ling by saying "you can throw your tactics out the window today we wont be trying to beat Oldham as Mr Corney their chairman has just phoned up and said they have a special offer for the fans so they are expecting a big crowd and therefore they must win so we are going to help them do exactly that."

I think you need to realise that their are two professional sports teams out their with professional managers doing their upmost to win the game. Yes we didnt play well but if we are starting to bollock a manager on getting draws when we are 6th in the league their is something very very wrong.

What I was thinking yesterday was that we should be actually tryingto get people in on the attractive match days, not the ones that are likely to be rubbish. Surely the idea is to show people anenjoyable day, whereas we look to promote the games that people would more likely decide not to bother with - ie against low down sides when the weather is grim and you've got other things to do. It's not like we are selling out at the games earlier in the season when the sun occasionally shines, why not try to hook people in then?

not a bad idea,lets face it,who on here would come back to watch our next home game if that was their first time at bp yesterday,not many i think.ktf.

Its all very well saying that but WTF do you think Leyton Orient are expected to do???? just turn up and lose because we are having a special off on tickets? If Mr bloody Corney just gives a brief to Shez that he must win because there is a big crowd then god help us all that man must no nothing about football.

Did the Leyton Orient chairman brief Ling by saying "you can throw your tactics out the window today we wont be trying to beat Oldham as Mr Corney their chairman has just phoned up and said they have a special offer for the fans so they are expecting a big crowd and therefore they must win so we are going to help them do exactly that."

I think you need to realise that their are two professional sports teams out their with professional managers doing their upmost to win the game. Yes we didnt play well but if we are starting to bollock a manager on getting draws when we are 6th in the league their is something very very wrong.

WTF are you going on about? I need to realise that there are two teams? Do you honestly think I give a monkeys about how Orient or any other team who turn up to BP play? I do however, give a monkeys about how we play, our performance - and especially how we perform in front of a large home crowd (of which some are there to be won over again) in today's market. We've got the tools to do the job, so why aren't we doing the job?

All I saw yesterday is underachievement. But who am I to question the consensus that getting draws is a sign of progress?

:lol:

And one can huff and puff and blow the same old smoke about not losing -

I'm more interested about us not winning at the moment....