Getting customers to buy a product

I don't think there was a lack of effort from the players yesterday. Sure one or two had poor games, but a poor game doesn't have to mean the player has lacked effort.

For me the problem lies with the different tactics shown by teams such as Orient, Brighton and Yeovil to those employed by Leicester, MK Dons, Scunthorpe and other top half teams and the fact that we keep to exactly the same tactics against all styles. Despite early season success against very poor Chetenham and Hereford sides, we just keep plugging away and do not vary our style. The only time we have changed was in the opening game against Millwall.

We clearly do not have a plan to deal with teams coming and killing our midfield 2 by sticking 3 up against them. The supply to Taylor and Lidds, becomes restricted, balls into the channels for Hughes and Byfield (or Alesandra/O'Grady/Davies take your pick) are stifled and our threat is nulified.

Shez likes a rigid 4-4-2 but to me it apppears that we need to change to a 4-5-1 to match up what the opposition are throwing at us or if we want to go after a game a 3-5-2. With the players we have in our bloated squad this season, we have the ability to change, but do not seem to be prepared to do so.

Throwing O'Grady on in the last minute on the left wing and bringing Taylor into central midfield is not the answer. What does that achieve? O'Grady on the left wing?

Over to you Shez to adapt and overcome.

Cheers,

Harry

good post, the whole 'players cant be bothered' is the oldest excuse in the book, people need to look at why they 'dont look bothered', as I've said on numberous occasions the bottom sides will usually play 2 the damage limitation tactic that you stated and playing 4-4-2 is not the answer. Funny how players all of a sudden 'give 110%' when the tactics are correct

The problem is ...it happens every time we promote cheap entry.

I think you are being unfair.

The team produced the same result and performance at £5/£10 against Orient as they did against Brighton, Huddersfield etc etc. :wink:

Unfortunately Oldham Athletic's on pitch decline through the divisions coincided with the massive growth of televised football and the transition of the Premier League into the "most exciting league in the world" .

So the quality of football on offer at BP has declined at the time when the quality of football available on TV has improved. The draw for the 'part-time' supporters gets ever less.

For most of the last 12 years, we have been struggling financially which has meant little chance of promotion coupled with a deteriorating match day experience from the facilities and stadium. Now at an all time low with a very sad looking 3 sided ground.

Hardly a recipe for crowd growth.

The only thing that will bring the crowds back to BP is a period of sustained success - not flirting with the play-off positions for half a season. We need promotion - and then we probably need to be not fighting relegation in the following year.

Only other alternative is the new ground syndrome - but that isn't going to happen either for a while (and I am not sure gradual stand by stand replacement has the same impact as a full new ground anyway).

TTA and the regular supporters need to accept that we are going to have small gates until we get some success; but do the best we can to boost them while we wait.

I think you are being unfair.

The team produced the same result and performance at £5/£10 against Orient as they did against Brighton, Huddersfield etc etc. :wink:

Unfortunately Oldham Athletic's on pitch decline through the divisions coincided with the massive growth of televised football and the transition of the Premier League into the "most exciting league in the world" .

So the quality of football on offer at BP has declined at the time when the quality of football available on TV has improved. The draw for the 'part-time' supporters gets ever less.

For most of the last 12 years, we have been struggling financially which has meant little chance of promotion coupled with a deteriorating match day experience from the facilities and stadium. Now at an all time low with a very sad looking 3 sided ground.

Hardly a recipe for crowd growth.

The only thing that will bring the crowds back to BP is a period of sustained success - not flirting with the play-off positions for half a season. We need promotion - and then we probably need to be not fighting relegation in the following year.

Only other alternative is the new ground syndrome - but that isn't going to happen either for a while (and I am not sure gradual stand by stand replacement has the same impact as a full new ground anyway).

TTA and the regular supporters need to accept that we are going to have small gates until we get some success; but do the best we can to boost them while we wait.

Excellent post!

Sadly I agree with your point "We need promotion - and then we probably need to be not fighting relegation in the following year." The 'part-time' supporters are hard task-masters - not only do they want promotion, but they also want the Club to be in with a chance of further promotion to the Greedy League, before they will give TTA their money. If we go up and then stuggle to consolidate, they will turn up their noses, and only attend away matches when new grounds are to be added to their lists.

The financial future is very bleak. :disappointed: