Penalties

garcon

Penalty?!  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Two penalties given, but were they?

• Neither were pens.
    • Both were pens.
    • The one he gave us was.
    • The one he gave them was.

Haven't seen much discussion of the penalties, so apologies if I've missed it.

For me, two of the softest penalties I've seen. In both cases there was the faintest of touches (if at all), certainly not enough for either player to go down in the way they did. I'm thinking neither should have been given and the result should have been what the match deserved ... 0-0.

Edited by garcon

For me, two of the softest penalties I've seen. In both cases there was the faintest of touches (if at all), certainly not enough for either player to go down in the way they did. I'm thinking neither should have been given and the result should have been what the match deserved ... 0-0.

Byfield was definitley impeded but i'm kinda surprised that he gave it being that he was still on his feet. If you compare it to some of the pens given for pushes then it was a spot on decision.

I thought Fleming got the ball for the second but my dad and mate both said it was a pen. Though they both wear glasses and I don't so I still think he got the ball. Considering where the ball went it wasn't going to be a scoring opportunity anyway. Have to see what the highlights show.

Byfield was clipped twice.

He almost turned to the ref and asked for it.

It was a foul therefore should be a penalty. Refreshing to see it given without the need for the attacking player to fall over.

My first though for their pen was that he was going to give it, but that Fleming had pushed the ball wide and their forward went over him. TV is inconclusive. I'd have been screaming for a pen if it was the other way round.

He wouldn't have awarded their penalty if Latics hadn't also had one earlier in the game.

Edited by opinions4u

Is it not a worry Fleming has given away 2 penalties? Both were contraversial I know but it is still 2 in 2 games

the one last week was a good save,the ref got that one wrong,atleast he can come off his line and he seems to read the danger well,i'd keep him in when crossley regains his fitness.

Is it not a worry Fleming has given away 2 penalties? Both were contraversial I know but it is still 2 in 2 games

He has also saved(contributed to a hit post at posh),each penalty,only for inept defending to let him down

Byfield was fouled, albeit the sort that 99% of the time isn't give. From the TV it looks to me like no foul, certainly benefit of the doubt should have gone our way, sadly the refs assessors see it the other way. The more I see it the more I am shocked by how woeful our defending was after Flemings' save.

Thought ours was VERY soft - I'd have gone mental if that was given against us, but theirs is an absolute JOKE. Not only does Fleming deflect the ball away but their player takes about 3 more steps before dropping to the ground like he's been electrocuted or something! Absolutely laughable!!

Edit: PS: If their player stays on his feet (which he could easily have done) then there is no way the ref gives the penalty. It's a great block by Fleming.

Edited by danoafc

Another opinion.

1st one - there is a foul on Byfield (shirt pull mainl), the ref is in close attendance - he sees it and gives it. But that type of incident happens all over the pitch without fouls being given, so whilst technically the ref was correct - it was a surprise to get it and in pundit speak its a "soft" one. If everyone of those was given, games would be full of them.

In some respects its similar to Stams against P'boro. Yes its was a slight push, but normally not given. Ref was close, saw it, gave it. Even themselves out?

2nd one - watched this 3 or 4 times in slo-mo on Sky+. Unlike the P'boro one last week which Fleming got to first, I don't see the ball changing direction as I'd expect if he got to the ball. So I don't think he got the ball. Did he get the man? Hard to say, but he goes down and I can see why it was given. Player made the most of it? No doubt, but that's the game these days.

Looking at both incidents I think that ours was 'softer' than theirs - so don't we did too badly to be honest.

Another opinion.

1st one - there is a foul on Byfield (shirt pull mainl), the ref is in close attendance - he sees it and gives it. But that type of incident happens all over the pitch without fouls being given, so whilst technically the ref was correct - it was a surprise to get it and in pundit speak its a "soft" one. If everyone of those was given, games would be full of them.

In some respects its similar to Stams against P'boro. Yes its was a slight push, but normally not given. Ref was close, saw it, gave it. Even themselves out?

2nd one - watched this 3 or 4 times in slo-mo on Sky+. Unlike the P'boro one last week which Fleming got to first, I don't see the ball changing direction as I'd expect if he got to the ball. So I don't think he got the ball. Did he get the man? Hard to say, but he goes down and I can see why it was given. Player made the most of it? No doubt, but that's the game these days.

Looking at both incidents I think that ours was 'softer' than theirs - so don't we did too badly to be honest.

He clipped him, I was sat directly in front - any contact and its a pen. it wasn't soft, the referee was abiding to the rules, he didn't go down and maybe given against us i would have been disappointed but sat where i was sat i wouldn't have argued

I thought Byfield was clipped at the time, but you cant really tell from the highlights. I think the only reason it was given was because he stayed up.

As for theirs, I thought Greg got a hand on it. He took the ball first, rendering the fact that their forward fell over him insignificant. I feel for him, as hes had IMO two very bad desicions go against him these last two weeks.