F is for Fickle

Boo a 1 1 draw which had Davies not scored a third at stockport would have lifted us to 5th in the table. I know we didnt play that well... Im aware that certain people booed off Byfield and sang Lewis' name ... Just what has to happen for us to offer our 'SUPPORT' to the team who are undefeated in 7 games ?

I don't expect Premiership class, I don't expect 6-0 every week or to steamroller over opponents, I do not think we have a right to beat teams - but I do expect them to perform. I always say; I might not have the best job in the world, but I'm going to be the best at it. Well, Latics aren't the best team in the world, we are not the best in England, we don't have the best players - but they have the potential to be the best at this level.

Saturday, second half in particular - we were second best, and not for the first time at home this season either.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Grady better than Lewis?

Yep. :blink:

Explain why you disagree?!!!!

Lewis has not ripped up any trees (I LIKE HIM, BEFORE YOU HAVE A POP) but not sure where this superstar status has come from. He had a cracking game V. Scunny, then had the chance to step up to the plate in the next 3 games - NOWHERE TO BE SEEN!!!! Ogrady hasnt even had a run of games under Shez to prove himself. At Tranmere/Colchester away he was different class from the bench, and his performance V Brighton was good....... Then ala Shez he gets dropped????????

I don't expect Premiership class, I don't expect 6-0 every week or to steamroller over opponents, I do not think we have a right to beat teams - but I do expect them to perform. I always say; I might not have the best job in the world, but I'm going to be the best at it. Well, Latics aren't the best team in the world, we are not the best in England, we don't have the best players - but they have the potential to be the best at this level.

Saturday, second half in particular - we were second best, and not for the first time at home this season either.

It is simple - and if Shez cant see the problem he should go post his application to Elland Road NOW!!!

* No tactical changes (EVERY GAME)

* All substitutions are LIKE LIKE (EVERY GAME)

* When a team sits deep (WE ARE TERRIBLE)

* When we play a side near the top (WE FIND SPACE)

We dont really have a playmaker (Whittaker has been a V.good signing) but we rely on him too much.

I am pretty happy TBH with the season so far.... but if we miss out on the play offs by 2/3 points - you will look at BRIGHTON and ORIENT games with your head in your hands!!! TRYING TO KEEP THE FAITH IN MR SHEZ!!! but difficult?

Explain why you disagree?!!!!

Lewis has not ripped up any trees (I LIKE HIM, BEFORE YOU HAVE A POP) but not sure where this superstar status has come from. He had a cracking game V. Scunny, then had the chance to step up to the plate in the next 3 games - NOWHERE TO BE SEEN!!!! Ogrady hasnt even had a run of games under Shez to prove himself. At Tranmere/Colchester away he was different class from the bench, and his performance V Brighton was good....... Then ala Shez he gets dropped????????

Maybe because we do score goals with him in the side. He's a clever player, good in possession, mature beyond his years. Maybe he is not a striker though. Ability wise he wins hands down. I'd say this is the highest level COG will achieve though. I believe Lewi could go much further than League One.

As Allott said with regards to COG, "he can't trap :censored:".

What gets me is that we didnt lose ....... We drew and yes it wasnt a good performance ... But to boo ...... come on. Its no coincidence that the away 'support' and performances are matched .... eg good and home ... lacklustre ... just like the support ..... !!!!

What gets me is that we didnt lose ....... We drew and yes it wasnt a good performance ... But to boo ...... come on. Its no coincidence that the away 'support' and performances are matched .... eg good and home ... lacklustre ... just like the support ..... !!!!

To assimilate home performances to the level/type of support is utter bull.

I'm not so sure it is utter bull. I'm quite sure that the players feel under a different pressure when playing at home and Mark Allott said something very similar after the game on saturday.

If you have a crowd that vocally gets behind you, it does help to raise your game - I'm not saying that they should need raising, but a good example would be to look at Eardley. As soon as he misplaces a pass at home, his body language is completely different than in a similar situation away from home.

Explain the difference then!!!! It is one fo the most commonly used analagies on this board. Our away form is very good .... Home is not so good ... did either end manage to complete a song ? we were vocal with the boo's and player abuse but offered nothing by way of support

Maybe because we do score goals with him in the side. He's a clever player, good in possession, mature beyond his years. Maybe he is not a striker though. Ability wise he wins hands down. I'd say this is the highest level COG will achieve though. I believe Lewi could go much further than League One.

As Allott said with regards to COG, "he can't trap :censored:".

I would like to see the stats on that? I dont understand how people can call a player who has NOT had a chance?

Lewis has not stepped up to the plate like I thought he would, and dont understand all theis SUPERSTAR label?

Explain the difference then!!!! It is one fo the most commonly used analagies on this board. Our away form is very good .... Home is not so good ... did either end manage to complete a song ? we were vocal with the boo's and player abuse but offered nothing by way of support

Well, I have only missed the Southend game this season, and we play with a better tempo away - FACT!!!!!

I had a bloke behind me on Sat who didnt say one good thing all match...... Then followed it up by saying I WONT BE BACK!! which means he never comes to BP...... That is what TTA are up against, and that is why we will loose our best players.

I would like to see the stats on that? I dont understand how people can call a player who has NOT had a chance?

Lewis has not stepped up to the plate like I thought he would, and dont understand all theis SUPERSTAR label?

Superstar label by who? People can see he is a good player. He creates space and opportunities for others. As I have said and others have commented on, maybe he isn't destined to be a striker.

Sheridan had to tell O'Grady after Brighton that he needs to shoot more as he had no shots in the game. A striker being told to shoot more...

Calling him how? What have I said is wrong with him other than his ability does not match Lewi's? That's not to say he's a bad player is it. We've a few who lack the awareness Lewis has who play much more often than him and COG.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Superstar label by who? People can see he is a good player. He creates space and opportunities for others. As I have said and others have commented on, maybe he isn't destined to be a striker.

Sheridan had to tell O'Grady after Brighton that he needs to shoot more. A striker being told to shoot more...

Calling him how? What have I said is wrong with him other than his ability does not match Lewi's? That's not to say he's a bad player is it. We've a few who lack the awareness Lewis has who play much more often than him and COG.

The fans who are all bleeting what a world beater he is, I havent seen it? -SORRY! He is a very good player, who I feel needs to shoot more. O'grady was MOM V. brighton (And Shez had to pick a negative) - Enough said, that gives the O'grady beaters license to kill........ Shez should look to call some of the more senior squad players IMO

I am pretty happy TBH with the season so far.... but if we miss out on the play offs by 2/3 points - you will look at BRIGHTON and ORIENT games with your head in your hands!!!...

That is my view.

Doing OK in the league, its Christmas and we are in the Play-Offs and have a decent chance of staying there.

I think the negative feelings around the board are due to the fact we feel we are 'giving' points away. We won't win every game, but the games we have dropped points at home are ones that you come our and think "but if we'd played even half as well as I know they can we'd have won".

We all feel like this at times - and I am certain Shez, TTA and the players feel the same. They'll be looking at the table and thinking "what if" as well.

I'd prefer this feeling though to one where I felt we were 6th and and we were playing as well as we could and only just hanging in. We are in with a shout and CAN (WILL?) get better.

We are not the only team that performs better away from home. I think it's symptomatic of the unrealistically high expectations of the game in terms of what it costs to watch a team week-in, week-out and that the fans at the away games have a different mentality than when watching at BP.

At the away games, a siege mentality kicks-in and the 'us against them', the few against the many can spur you on to be more vocal and supportive. In short, you have got a point to prove. Combine this with the fact that the onus is always on the home team to be the more attack minded and you have the ideal situation to cause an upset.

This is probably not applicable to teams like Leicester, who have large home crowds and maybe the teams who have come up from League 2 as they are on a roll of a sorts and are in a strong, winning mentality. We have been stuck in this league for a long time, whilst others have come, gone and come back again. We are probably more frustrated than most and the desire to get out is a strong one. The problem is, it's when we feel that the team doesn't have the same desire that we start flinging the accusations around.

Guest oa_exile
I am pretty happy TBH with the season so far.... but if we miss out on the play offs by 2/3 points - you will look at BRIGHTON and ORIENT games with your head in your hands!!!

......add Udders and Yeovil onto Orient and Brighton and add a :ohno: for good measure :wink:

Boo a 1 1 draw which had Davies not scored a third at stockport would have lifted us to 5th in the table. I know we didnt play that well... Im aware that certain people booed off Byfield and sang Lewis' name ... Just what has to happen for us to offer our 'SUPPORT' to the team who are undefeated in 7 games ? I know its a game we could have won .... but we also could have lost it too !!!! We do not have a divne right to win games ... Nor do we have a devine right to dominate midfield. We were not overun (IMO) but we lacked vision going forward. Our supply to the front two was appalling and it was lack lustre .. but thats about as far as it goes really

Where did this 'divine right' business that gets bandied about nowadays come from? 'We have no divine right to be in a promotion place, beat mediocre sides etc etc.' Nobody has suggested that we have a divine right to anything. On the other hand, they do expect that a team assembled at considerable cost (let's stop pretending that these are no different than the Ritchie days in money terms), to put in the required effort and show consistency. It's simply no use beating Leeds or coming back from two down at the mighty Peterborough, only to draw at home with a club near the bottom.

People do support the team by simply walking through the door, but BP won't become a cauldron of fanaticism when the team is playing like it has been doing at home.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Where the 'devine right' comes from is wading through countless posts stating we 'should' be winning matches agianst lesser or bottom of the table teams. We do not have any such right. The FA cup shows us that 11 v 11 no team has the right to win. Matches are won and lost .... and drawn.... the state of some of these posts you would think we had lost the last seven.

Guest oa_exile
Where the 'devine right' comes from is wading through countless posts stating we 'should' be winning matches agianst lesser or bottom of the table teams. We do not have any such right. The FA cup shows us that 11 v 11 no team has the right to win. Matches are won and lost .... and drawn.... the state of some of these posts you would think we had lost the last seven.

Having a 'devine right' attitude is one of the ways which will get us out of the Division,the players have believe that they can win every game,something I am not seeing enough of :wink:

Let's just wind up the club and relaunch Oldham Athletic as a knitting circle or something.

Guest oa_exile
Let's just wind up the club and relaunch Oldham Athletic as a knitting circle or something.

lol :grin: "Sometimes" you make me laugh with your little one liners :lol: