Neal Eardley

Skysports.com understands Bristol City are tracking Oldham's Neal Eardley as they search for a replacement for wantaway Bradley Orr.

Robins boss Gary Johnson is the market for a new full-back with Orr seeming likely to leave Ashton Gate after being placed on the transfer list.

Orr has been made available for transfer after turning down a new deal at City with his current contract due to expire in the summer.

City could try and sell Orr in the January transfer window rather than risk losing him for nothing at the end of the season meaning a new full-back will be needed to bolster this squad.

Highly-rated Eardley could be the answer for City and the Welsh international is thought to be the top of Johnson's wanted list.

A number of clubs are thought to be monitoring Eardley's situation at Oldham and the Boundary Park outfit would find it hard to turn down any substantial bids for the versatile performer in January.

Sky Sports

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
Wouldn't be surprised. Is a great player IMO. He could definately cut it at that level, and if he goes, good luck to him.

I assume your post is about Bradley Orr ? :shock:

...I'll just pop out and ask...

"Oi Johnson... are you gullable enough to give us a stupid amount of cash for our reserve full-back"

:thinking2:

...He said yes... bloomin 'eck... they are stupid down here in the west-country... :wink:

Happy days, Eardley could be our financial saviour!

Wouldn't be surprised. Is a great player IMO. He could definately cut it at that level, and if he goes, good luck to him.

Yeah if anyone from Bristol City is on here, he is great. Not overrated and is excellent on the ball, especially playing cross field or down the line passes. I wouldn't carry him on my back to Bristol, honest he's one of the greats. :lol:

:pray: Please Jebus let someone buy him so we can keep the footballers in our squad.

Edited by ritchie82

Neal eardley has played 2 games since he has been out of the side for a lenghty period. He hardly set the world alight on saturday, but he was solid, and definately wasn't one of the worst performers. IMO he has a decent delivery (yes decent delivery) and is a very good defender. Hence why he is getting picked for his national side. He also has strong leadership qualities, although they clearly werent on show on saturday, as higlighted by his ability to captain Oldham and The u-21 Wales side. He has attracted much attention from clubs from higher divisions, and i can 100% garuantee that if his spooned free kick had gone in, we would all be praising his complete performance, not slagging him off.

Yeah if anyone from Bristol City is on here, he is great. Not overrated and is excellent on the ball, especially playing cross field or down the line passes. I wouldn't carry him on my back to Bristol, honest he's one of the greats. :lol:

:pray: Please Jebus let someone buy him so we can keep the footballers in our squad.

hahahah...oh dear..

i agree if a silly offer comes in first and the cash we get enables us to keep taylor then fine,wouldnt shed a tear....he has his moments of pure quality and genious,but far too many shoddy performances and misplaced passes....

i can 100% garuantee that if his spooned free kick had gone in, we would all be praising his complete performance, not slagging him off.

Did anyone think he was going to score a free kick like that? He can smash a ball but bend it round a wall or show some craft? Gary Glitter has more chance of winning father of the year.

Guest oa_exile
Neal eardley has played 2 games since he has been out of the side for a lenghty period. He hardly set the world alight on saturday, but he was solid, and definately wasn't one of the worst performers. IMO he has a decent delivery (yes decent delivery) and is a very good defender. Hence why he is getting picked for his national side. He also has strong leadership qualities, although they clearly werent on show on saturday, as higlighted by his ability to captain Oldham and The u-21 Wales side. He has attracted much attention from clubs from higher divisions, and i can 100% garuantee that if his spooned free kick had gone in, we would all be praising his complete performance, not slagging him off.

Post that on a Brizzie forum :) as far as I am concerned he is over rated, but hey WTF do I know ^_^

I like your thinking....

I'm off to Ashton gate with a "please dont buy our full-back wonderkid (he's a welsh international dont-you-know)" banner... *

*in all seriousness, I like eards, and would love him to stay - he is radically underated.. however if it comes down to selling him over anyone else... well if he needs a guided tour of Brizzle just let me know...!!

In the latter stages of saturdays game, at least a couple of times eardley got left with 2 men coming at him, one in front waiting for the pass, the other with the ball, with eardley tracking him. No-one else around to help eardley. Both times he dealt with the threat, tracking the man with the ball and then quickly closing down the wide man after the pass. It was quality defending.

It's not that I actually watched him, just something I noticed when latics were defeding in the 2nd half, and commented on to my mate.

Some think he's dire, but they probably need to be spoken to by a man not in an owl costume.

Of course if a silly offer comes in it would be stupid to reject it, but i feel people are only focusing on his few gash performances, than on the times he has saved/won us points. I think a few are also forgetting that hes one of the youngest members of our sqad, yet one of the most established in the international field.

Guest oa_exile
focusing on his few gash performances

See you are already starting to change your mind, a couple of more posts on and you will quoting "good riddance, he's gash" :lol:

Of course if a silly offer comes in it would be stupid to reject it, but i feel people are only focusing on his few gash performances, than on the times he has saved/won us points. I think a few are also forgetting that hes one of the youngest members of our sqad, yet one of the most established in the international field.

he wasnt made captain for his leadership qualities....he was made captain to boost his transfer fee towards the end of last season,shez then decided to play him a few times in midfield as again his value would be worth more as a good defender/midfielder....

on his day he can be outstanding....but he needs an experienced head near him as he tends to wander away from his position then when he gets found out trys to blame it on someone not covering....

he isnt likely to go charging down the touchline like irwin used to do,making the overlap runs etc etc.....and 8 times out of ten when he has time to control the ball and pick a pass,he spoons it out of play or straight to the opposition.....

if he performed consistantly week in week out then we wouldnt even be having this debate,as the no sale sign would be up for our welsh international full back...

however if by selling him it means taylor stays then so be it.....

Did anyone think he was going to score a free kick like that? He can smash a ball but bend it round a wall or show some craft? Gary Glitter has more chance of winning father of the year.

In our "Eardley Free kick Sweepstakes" I had the 'C' in DETECT-ALL on the roof of the Chaddy. I think Sav was closest with the 'R' in the Security bit...

See you are already starting to change your mind, a couple of more posts on and you will quoting "good riddance, he's gash" :lol:

No. Not once in my original post did i state that he hasn't had a few off games. I am not one to change my opinion simply because a majority disagree.

He is clearly going to have a couple of bad moments, dictated by his age, however this hardly detracts from my opinion that he's a good player.

he wasnt made captain for his leadership qualities....he was made captain to boost his transfer fee towards the end of last season,shez then decided to play him a few times in midfield as again his value would be worth more as a good defender/midfielder....

So sheridan had a word with the national side aswell then? He wasn't made captain of the u-21s to boost any status or transfer fee. He was made captain surely due to his leadership skills?

So sheridan had a word with the national side aswell then? He wasn't made captain of the u-21s to boost any status or transfer fee. He was made captain surely due to his leadership skills?

so if hes so brimming full with leadership qualities why isnt he showing this in matches then.....or is it a case of ok,they took the armband off me im not talking on the pitch any more.....

can you honestly see eardly charging over the pitch to confront greegs about a wayward 60 yard pass????

so if hes so brimming full with leadership qualities why isnt he showing this in matches then.....or is it a case of ok,they took the armband off me im not talking on the pitch any more.....

can you honestly see eardly charging over the pitch to confront greegs about a wayward 60 yard pass????

I saw Eardley properly ripping into Gregan for a hopsital pass this season.

EDIT - grey cells warming up, it was away at Tranmere

Edited by leeslover

Hes played in two matches recently, and hasn't had a decent run in the team this season. So hasn't really had much of a chance to prove this.

it doesnt really matter if you have a run in the team or just a few games..if your personality is that way inclined you will be bawling and shouting and communicationg everytime you take to the field regardless if your the captain or not.....

if its not in your natural game you simply wont do it,and just concentrate on playing.