No sub keeper

How come Bell hasn't been picked for the bench for the last two games?

Didn't realise he wasn't a sub at Posh until got back from the game, but assumed it was a last minute change or something and he couldn't be picked (despite being assured Norm injured himself getting off the bus, thus before teamsheets were handed in, and the fact Bell warmed up). Then he wasn't selected on Saturday either. Bearing in mind Fleming could easily have got sent off at Posh it was very surprising that the worry didn't lead to having a sub against Orient, and it was heart in mouth time again when Greg brought Jarvis down.

I don't get it. Is Bell not deemed to be better than whoever our 'outfield GK' is? If Norm was fit then we would have had a sub keeper on Saturday, it should be no different.

Didn't realise he wasn't a sub at Posh until got back from the game, but assumed it was a last minute change or something and he couldn't be picked (despite being assured Norm injured himself getting off the bus, thus before teamsheets were handed in, and the fact Bell warmed up). Then he wasn't selected on Saturday either. Bearing in mind Fleming could easily have got sent off at Posh it was very surprising that the worry didn't lead to having a sub against Orient, and it was heart in mouth time again when Greg brought Jarvis down.

I don't get it. Is Bell not deemed to be better than whoever our 'outfield GK' is? If Norm was fit then we would have had a sub keeper on Saturday, it should be no different.

he's probably sat with Lee, Stephens and Maher in that strange Black Hole that exists at boundary park... you know the one that sucks our players into another dimension and prevents Sheridan from picking them for the first team....

Crossley got injured on the Thursday so doubt they arrived in Peterborough 2 days early, or was he getting off the 409 using his free bus pass ? ( i thought they had ramps to avoid incidents like this ?) don't know where you heard that from :lol:

What's the point of a sub keeper, he'll only be sat there like a :censored:ing garden gnome, like Lee, Stephens, Maher etc... Come to think of it, get 'em to grow beards, buy 'em wheelbarrows and fishing rods and there yer go...............

Didn't realise he wasn't a sub at Posh until got back from the game,

I don't get it. Is Bell not deemed to be better than whoever our 'outfield GK' is?

Bell was warming up on the pitch before the Posh game. I think Shez is waiting until he's grown enough to be able to reach the crossbar. :wink:

fair doos, but when was the last time you saw bell play a significant part in a reserve match? I would have thought it would have been flemming making the appearances in the very few reserve matches this season. But if you are refering to last years matches, then a season is much more than enough time for a person to mature as a player, and be ready to make the stepup to the first team.

fair doos, but when was the last time you saw bell play a significant part in a reserve match? I would have thought it would have been flemming making the appearances in the very few reserve matches this season. But if you are refering to last years matches, then a season is much more than enough time for a person to mature as a player, and be ready to make the stepup to the first team.

Last season in Ressies and Youth, but he was actuali shocking,he was nearly in tears against Stockport away and scored an O.G at home to Bury.

It might not necessarily be that, Shez might just feel he`d rather have the extra outfield player option rather than a sub-keeper .. it`s very rare that the sub-keeper is used.

Crossley got injured on the Thursday so doubt they arrived in Peterborough 2 days early, or was he getting off the 409 using his free bus pass ? ( i thought they had ramps to avoid incidents like this ?) don't know where you heard that from :lol:

Got a phone call from the old man before the game saying GMR had reported he'd pulled his hamstring getting off the team bus. I know the club have said it was on the Thursday and it was a case of wait and see...perhaps he aggravated it stepping down and that put him out for definate.

Anyway, if Bell isn't good enough to make the bench as a sub keeper (and bearing in mind Shez chose to give a 'keeper from Wednesday his league debut last year rather than Bell), it does make you wonder why he's still at the club...

Got a phone call from the old man before the game saying GMR had reported he'd pulled his hamstring getting off the team bus. I know the club have said it was on the Thursday and it was a case of wait and see...perhaps he aggravated it stepping down and that put him out for definate.

Load of rubbish im afraid mate, i got to P`Boro early and was there as the team got off the coach, and Crossley arrived afterwards followed by the physio (so im guessing they travelled down seperately), spoke to MC afterwards, said he`d be out for around 2-3 weeks.

It might not necessarily be that, Shez might just feel he`d rather have the extra outfield player option rather than a sub-keeper .. it`s very rare that the sub-keeper is used.

Viable, but that would mean a remarkable coincidence of Shez's first game of his managerial career with this tactic also being the game in which his #1 was injured for.

Edited by jsslatic

Load of rubbish im afraid mate, i got to P`Boro early and was there as the team got off the coach, and Crossley arrived afterwards followed by the physio (so im guessing they travelled down seperately), spoke to MC afterwards, said he`d be out for around 2-3 weeks.

Thought it sounded odd at the time, poor GMR reporting then!

Guest sheridans_world

We dont HAVE to name a sub goalie, to be honest, it gives managers more lee-way with their options on the bench. You only have four players to name, one for each position and then one other. Not enough. At least using five subs, you can name two strikers, two midfielders and a defender. Or something similar.

Hopefully we will have a seven man bench next season/soon. Meaning that Shez (or whoever :lol: ) will have more options and able to change the game easier.

I think it has cost us this season, Fleming was always named, then A Defender then Maher and Smalley and O'Grady. Meaning Davies and Alessandra (at times) havent even been getting on the bench. Not to mention Eardley or Stephens.

Bigfin, you can add Williams into your black hole, TP told me when we played Yeovil, that Williams played his first game for the youth team that morning. It was Williams' first 45 minutes of football in 18 months. Not heard anything since?

Edit: Last time Williams was mentioned in a youth team match report

We dont HAVE to name a sub goalie, to be honest, it gives managers more lee-way with their options on the bench. You only have four players to name, one for each position and then one other. Not enough. At least using five subs, you can name two strikers, two midfielders and a defender. Or something similar.

but given that flemming could have easily been sent off in the last two games, having one onthe bench is surely a good idea?

Guest sheridans_world
but given that flemming could have easily been sent off in the last two games, having one onthe bench is surely a good idea?

Granted, but how many times have we had to replace Crossley this season? Once?

Granted, but how many times have we had to replace Crossley this season? Once?

Safety first IMO. If Greg had been sent off when the first pen was given at London Rd, we'd have been tonked. It's one of those when I'd rather have one less sub for Shez (not) to bring on, than to guarantee a defeat if our keeper gets injured before about 70 mins.

Guest sheridans_world
Safety first IMO. If Greg had been sent off when the first pen was given at London Rd, we'd have been tonked. It's one of those when I'd rather have one less sub for Shez (not) to bring on, than to guarantee a defeat if our keeper gets injured before about 70 mins.

Not necessarily, its been done before where an outfield (left winger maybe :wink: ) player has been in net and the defending team has taken a striker off and put a sub defender on so they have a back five to protect their 'new' keeper.

Its not ideal but playing for a draw is an option. Of course, its never ideal going down to ten men either. If a keeper is sent off, you'll generally always have to make a sub, be it as above, or be it for a new keeper. You're always going to lose one outfield player.

Why would we have lost at P'boro if he'd been sent off ? How many shots exactly did they have on target after that ? and how many of them did Flem have to make great saves? answers 2 & 0 ?