Kieran Lee to start!

yeah, Ive been a bit baffled too. My brother in law works for Man United TV and has watched Lee in the reserves for years. Always said he's really comfortable on the ball and is good going forward. Thought he might have come in for Whittaker who's been a bit poor in recent weeks. Hopefully he can suitably impress to give Shez some real selection headaches.

Now we just need to see Dale Stephens step up to the plate.....anyone know how he's been doing in the reserves (whenever they've been playing!)

yeah, Ive been a bit baffled too. My brother in law works for Man United TV and has watched Lee in the reserves for years. Always said he's really comfortable on the ball and is good going forward. Thought he might have come in for Whittaker who's been a bit poor in recent weeks. Hopefully he can suitably impress to give Shez some real selection headaches.

Now we just need to see Dale Stephens step up to the plate.....anyone know how he's been doing in the reserves (whenever they've been playing!)

feel abit sorry for lee today,he knows he has to impress but how long is it since since he actually played a match,hope he does well i have seen this lad a few times and always looked classy i,m confident he could do a job here given the chance. stephens i havent seen as much of but have seen him in ressies he seems a good player also baffled why he not given a go

Lee started nervously but improved as the game progressed. Love his neat touches, little passes and the fact he gets into the 6 yard box. All he needs is match time. Never easy to know from the outside why he hasn't featured before - we have to trust the manager to know when the time is right.

Byfield was poor first half, but also unlucky. Took his goal extremely well and was a revitalised player after that. Hopefully a sign of better things to come.

Lee started nervously but improved as the game progressed. Love his neat touches, little passes and the fact he gets into the 6 yard box. All he needs is match time. Never easy to know from the outside why he hasn't featured before - we have to trust the manager to know when the time is right.

Byfield was poor first half, but also unlucky. Took his goal extremely well and was a revitalised player after that. Hopefully a sign of better things to come.

QFT.

Would have pretty much been my reply.

Just a thing; Lee's movement across the pitch was excellent - caught outta position here and there, but tracked back with enough time to spare Showed other signs of his youth like Lomax and Eardley in terms of a little bit more confidence with the ball at his feet etc, but he's exactly that: young.

Lee started a bit dodgy as to be expected but looked quality in the second half.

Doesn't look like an old fashioned right winger though but looked a good footballer.

Byfield who allegedly wasnt fully fit was awful in the first half but after his goal looked a different player.

Maher made a difference in midfield, looked solid.

By the way Crewe were the worst team i've seen this season.

he looked good, personally i would have lee starting on the left snd taylor on the right, the boy did weell todsy and contributed to us looking like we had a midfield, credit also must be given to maher, and this which showed that allott and maher can play together, wouldnt change that for sunday

Lee started a bit dodgy as to be expected but looked quality in the second half.

Doesn't look like an old fashioned right winger though but looked a good footballer.

Byfield who allegedly wasnt fully fit was awful in the first half but after his goal looked a different player.

if thyats the case, then makes this result even better as we nrmally slip up against teams who aint much good/ at the bottom, not so sure they where but may have been the fact we played well especially in the second half

Agree 100%

Don't want to make a judgement too early on Lee as we were playing a side who are as good as down already and the left back was cock and giving him abuse was pretty funny but his performance today was encouraging he's only 19 don't forget so plenty of time to develop. Not an out and out winger who will hug the touch line but someone with a good engine will get up and down the touch line a few nice touches here and their and grew as the game wore on would like to see more of him have waited for long enough give him a run of 4-5 games to see what he can do.

Agree 100%

Don't want to make a judgement too early on Lee as we were playing a side who are as good as down already and the left back was cock and giving him abuse was pretty funny but his performance today was encouraging he's only 19 don't forget so plenty of time to develop. Not an out and out winger who will hug the touch line but someone with a good engine will get up and down the touch line a few nice touches here and their and grew as the game wore on would like to see more of him have waited for long enough give him a run of 4-5 games to see what he can do.

totally agree,i think he,s a cm doing a job on wing but doing it well,would like him to get a run now to see what he does when confident as his confidence must have took a battering lately

I said after the Orient game that over the last few home games, especially against teams from the bottom half of the table, we were being outgunned in the centre of the park as teams were tending to come and stick 5 across the middle against our 4 and leave just 1 up front. I also said we needed to look at our own formation against this type of system/team and maybe go 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 ourselves in the home games.

What I hadn't expected was that Shez would change things for an away game, where, by and large, we have looked both solid and comfortable. What he did yesterday was replace Whittaker with Maher and Lidds with Lee. Whilst Maher is not exactly a straight swap, he certainly is a CM who although being more defensive minded than Whits does things simple and well, allowing us to retain possession longer. Lee though was the main change for me. Whilst he hugged the touchline at times particularly early on, that tended to be when we were in possession. However, when we we were not in possession, he tucked in 5 or 10 yards to make us that much more compact in the centre and I presume is an option to be used more by Shez so that he can retain his favoured 4-4-2.

A special word for Maher yesterday. Yes sideway passes, which are unfairly critisised by some, but ball retention is essential against teams that shut up against you (not that Crewe were capable of that yesterday) and you tend to have to play around them instead of through them. There were no "hoofs" over the top, no balls that were 50-50 for our forwards, but balls along the ground to players in blue (sorry flo-yellow), balls that allowed us to keep possession or as Shez says "take care of the ball." We were able to work our way around Crewe and if you watch the goals again, they have all been created from wide positions, by virtue of us "taking care of the ball." For those critisising Maher's sideways passing, think back particularly to the Henry/Milligan partnership and ,more recently when Shez himself was playing for us. The other plus with Maher yesterday, for me at least, was the way he kept talking particularly to young Lee. Shez has been talking about leaders on the pitch this week and he got that with Maher yesterday and, thankfully from Gregan when he came on for Stam.

Cheers,

Harry

Couldn't make the game yesterday but having read the reports it sounded good. however Harry's comments have given me some hope for the rest of the season. I've been convinced that our problems in consistency have not been our forwards but our lack of creation in midfield - sometimes patience is the key - and our poor balls from full back. Anyway its rare to see such intelligent meaningful analysis on here, well done H

For those critisising Maher's sideways passing, think back particularly to the Henry/Milligan partnership and ,more recently when Shez himself was playing for us.

Also for those criticising his sideways passing ... it was a delightful ball through from the lad to set one of the goals up, might have been Byfields.