Just Back

Great result today . . . Lee was superb. However, honourable mentions must go to Gregan, Eardley and Hughes.

First half both teams were poor. But the game changed when Gregan replaced Stam, we actually started to win headers.

Second half we tore them apart, great goal by Byfield, then Lee played a perfect ball to Hughes to score, then Allesandra allowed Hughes to net his brace by putting it on a plate for him. Hughes was very lucky not to be booked for his first celebration, he nearly casued a pitch invasion by the Crewe fans.

However, a note of caution before we get carried away. Crewe were awful and will be very lucky to stay up. But anyway grest result and bring on Carlisle.

Lee must stay in the team, offered a real threat coming inside with nice interplay . . . just a shame it has taken so long for him to make an impact.

Oldhamjack

Great result today . . . Lee was superb. However, honourable mentions must go to Gregan, Eardley and Hughes.

First half both teams were poor. But the game changed when Gregan replaced Stam, we actually started to win headers.

Second half we tore them apart, great goal by Byfield, then Lee played a perfect ball to Hughes to score, then Allesandra allowed Hughes to net his brace by putting it on a plate for him. Hughes was very lucky not to be booked for his first celebration, he nearly casued a pitch invasion by the Crewe fans.

However, a note of caution before we get carried away. Crewe were awful and will be very lucky to stay up. But anyway grest result and bring on Carlisle.

Lee must stay in the team, offered a real threat coming inside with nice interplay . . . just a shame it has taken so long for him to make an impact.

Oldhamjack

fantastic result today....keeps us in touch so to speak only 6 points off second spot.

glad lee got his debut and played well....now shez just has to keep the same team that finished against crewe today.....sounded like we played decent,even if crewe were rubbish...

byfield has openened his account as well,regardless if he was gash or not,he scored a goal.

My summary by player would be:

Fleming - a couple of decent saves first half that kept us on level terms. I'd be surprised if he lost his place to a fit again Crossley. Kicking up the middle is a little limited as a form of distribution.

Eardley - much better defensively and stronger distribution. Provided attacking options down the right side, although some woeful shots at goal.

Lomax - given the run around by their winger for a large part of the first half. Good pass to Byfield that led to goal.

Stam - struggled to win headers and injury (hamstring?) was a blessing.

Hazell - Excellent display again. One superb back post clearing header in the second half. Awful decision to book him (suspension to follow in 2 weeks?).

Gregan - Superb. Back to his awesome best.

Taylor - quiet, but again created some opportunities for himself.

Maher - wanted the ball, got the ball, distributed it sideways.

Allott - good display, he seems back to his best.

Lee - first half he couldn't wait to give the ball to another Latics player. Needed to push on more with it himself. Second half much better (word from Shez?) and showed some nice touches. I'd play him again.

Byfield - awful first half, much better second half. He was lucky not to be subbed at half time. Made the goal for himself superbly.

Hughes - always a threat, awful miss 1 on 1 first half. Took the goals superbly. The celebration route behind the goal for the first was a bit naughty. A striker who cannot be replaced. Challenged for more headers.

O'Grady - nice tiuches.

Alessandra - created the third superbly and looked good again. Should start with Hughes.

Crewe were a poor side and there to be taken. Their demise should have started sooner than it did. Credit to Shez for whatever he said at half time.

Edited by opinions4u

Good sum up.

I think the four key players today were Maher, Eardley, Lee and (as ever) Hughes. I thought Maher played his best game so far for us - at one point it seemed like literally everything was going through him. Yes some sideways passes, but he always kept the ball moving. Only really blotted his performance with a couple of wayward diagonal balls too easily cut out by the fullback. I think Maher will come to prominence as the season progresses, particularly away from home.

Eardley looked like he's got his confidence back, but maybe a little too desperate to emulate his two screamers at Crewe last season (and I'm not talking about Leeslover and Exile... :lol: )

Lee started nervously, but grew into the game and ended up a key player for us. Not blessed with loads of pace, but gets into great positions, had an excellent touch and will only get better with match time.

Only really one thing to say about Hughes. He's playing in the wrong division.

Stam - struggled to win headers and injury (hamstring?) was a blessing.

Hamstring (if it was) is usually 4 weeks +. On that basis, it wasn't a blessing!

Anyway, if we didn't make stupid errors, we'd be one of the toughest sides to play against away from home. Our ability to stand strong for 30 minutes is excellent. A few half-time tweaks and some encouragement, and we take control of games. We've done it a few times now.

Either way, a very good 3 points. It's only Crewe, who were dreadful with the ball, but it's away from home. I echo most comments above... the only, only, only thing I will pick at - no, it's not really picking, it's more what would make us even better is I hope Lomax and Eardley can get the confidence to run with the ball more. They're quick lads, so they can use the ball a little better than they do.

Just a special word of praise for Maher today. I was sat in the Crewe main stand which was where Keiron Lee was hugging the touchline for the majority of the first half (and looking extremely nervous every time he touched the ball).

Maher talked him through every single piece of action and allowed him toget into the game in a way that he could not possibly have done had he not been coached and hand held through. An excellent piece of tactics by the coaching staff that may well have gone totally unnoticed on the 'other' side of the pitch. As the game wore on, the nervous newcomer looked like he'd been there a lot longer than he actually had. Maher's game wasn't altogether brilliant but given the minding role he performed with Lee, he was worth his weight in gold!! Well done Maher, Lee and the coaching staff!!!

Hughesy's celebration was top. Had every right to gloat to the little sh*tes who'd been booing and shouting at him - Was hilarious watching them run down the front and not have a clue what to do once they got there, other than trudge back to their seats. Surely they'd of learnt by now that he always seems to bag when a sides fans attempt to get one over him.

Crewe are absolutely woeful. Didnt think we could get anywhere near the result as last season but we have. Pleasing to get a clean sheet and nice to see us finishing off a very very poor side unlike recent weeks.

JINGLE BELLS.........

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Just a special word of praise for Maher today. I was sat in the Crewe main stand which was where Keiron Lee was hugging the touchline for the majority of the first half (and looking extremely nervous every time he touched the ball).

Maher talked him through every single piece of action and allowed him toget into the game in a way that he could not possibly have done had he not been coached and hand held through. An excellent piece of tactics by the coaching staff that may well have gone totally unnoticed on the 'other' side of the pitch. As the game wore on, the nervous newcomer looked like he'd been there a lot longer than he actually had. Maher's game wasn't altogether brilliant but given the minding role he performed with Lee, he was worth his weight in gold!! Well done Maher, Lee and the coaching staff!!!

absolutely correct sir!

as mentioned by another poster,allot was back to his best...guess why??

lee was excellent too,brought a different option.

taylor proberbly had his worst game in a blue shirt...did he touch the ball???!!

absolutely correct sir!

as mentioned by another poster,allot was back to his best...guess why??

lee was excellent too,brought a different option.

taylor proberbly had his worst game in a blue shirt...did he touch the ball???!!

Cue - Derek Wilson

He didnt, however if the ball is continually played down the other flank then he`s not going to is he. In the end he came over to the right as he wasnt getting the ball .. and then everything when down the left :lol:

Like a lot of games now Taylor is being closely marked by two or three defenders.

It keeps Taylor quiet but it gives far more room on the other wing to exploit.

Lee had loads of room to play well at Crewe mainly because Taylor being so closely marked.

Something he will have to get used to but it works in our favour a lot.

When Lee went off and Taylor switched wings all the markers went with him to the right -

What happens , we score a goal from the left !

Job done.

Edited by losesome

That doesn't make for a bad game though. He never touched the ball because no bugger would pass to him. The rare occasions he did get time on the ball he had to come inside and tackle someone for it!

I think it's a ploy anyway. People will start passing to him at the end of January.

Crewe were a very, very poor shadow of their former sides - going down.

Lee gave us so much energy down the right, eardley maybe due to Lee, had his besy game for a while - on performances like that it's easy to see why he has the ability to lay at a higher level - their 1 effective player in the 1st half the left winger, Eardley managed him very well and in the 2nd half, he was took off. Just a point on Maher "passing it sideways" - i'll translate for the non footballers!! - he wants to switch play and move the ball as soon as he gets it - only good midfielders have the ability/nouse to do this! good to see him in the side. Gregan - massive!!. Hazell Massive (the most consistent player at the club) -Allott - getting back to his most effective. Byfield - good to see him get his first...Ooh Roger Palmer :D Lomax - at his level - Hughes - works his cods off off for the side - how many near post headers did he win from corners of theirs - there's not may number 9's do that! Good tactic Shez! Oh and he scores goals as well :tongue1:

Interesting at half time though, listening to people complaining about Byfields miss in the 1st half - i thought Hughes' was a tad worse :wink:

Roll on the cumbrians

Crewe were a very, very poor shadow of their former sides - going down.

Lee gave us so much energy down the right, eardley maybe due to Lee, had his besy game for a while - on performances like that it's easy to see why he has the ability to lay at a higher level - their 1 effective player in the 1st half the left winger, Eardley managed him very well and in the 2nd half, he was took off. Just a point on Maher "passing it sideways" - i'll translate for the non footballers!! - he wants to switch play and move the ball as soon as he gets it - only good midfielders have the ability/nouse to do this! good to see him in the side. Gregan - massive!!. Hazell Massive (the most consistent player at the club) -Allott - getting back to his most effective. Byfield - good to see him get his first...Ooh Roger Palmer :D Lomax - at his level - Hughes - works his cods off off for the side - how many near post headers did he win from corners of theirs - there's not may number 9's do that! Good tactic Shez! Oh and he scores goals as well :tongue1:

Interesting at half time though, listening to people complaining about Byfields miss in the 1st half - i thought Hughes' was a tad worse :wink:

Roll on the cumbrians

See my post under the "Kieran Lee to start" topic.

I think we are in agreement on this.

Cheers,

Harry

See my post under the "Kieran Lee to start" topic.

I think we are in agreement on this.

Cheers,

Harry

I've just had a butchers - Indeed you did Harry! Good points. The Lee bit is spot on as well - him tucking inside will work very well away from home against certain teams, yet no doubt will receive criticism from the heathens who will say "he's not an out and out" winger though is he!!"

Just a quick point on Hughes' celebrations - good on him!!

I set off at 10 am yesterday and got back at 3 am this morn - "Extra time love" :blush::grin: