end of a era Candlelight to close

boboafc

just heard that one of oldham's best disco's is to close down , i remember it well , the only place in town when you had to fight the girls off you ...

It's closing as a nightclub Bob, with Ken Naylor saying that there'll be a few more clubs in Oldham likely to be following suit in the new year (which is not a bad thing, as Oldham is rougher than many of the ladies who have frequented it over the years!)

However, it is said to be only closing for a month and then his son is re-opening it as a pub/restaurant! I'll try and remember to update you when it does Bob.

It's closing as a nightclub Bob, with Ken Naylor saying that there'll be a few more clubs in Oldham likely to be following suit in the new year (which is not a bad thing, as Oldham is rougher than many of the ladies who have frequented it over the years!)

However, it is said to be only closing for a month and then his son is re-opening it as a pub/restaurant! I'll try and remember to update you when it does Bob.

It's sad to see the Candlelight closing but it's closing not because of the smoking ban, red tape or Oldham getting rougher as Ken stated...that's a load of tosh and he knows it. The article in the Chron made Ken sound very bitter, which is sad. The fact is, the Candlelight is not what people go out for these days. I was in there a few weeks ago and there must have been 50 people in, tack surroundings, :censored:e DJ and music...it's just not the sort of place that is going to attract people in this day and age...it hasn't changed with the times.

I've never seen Oldham as busy as I have over the last few years. Whereas Rochdale and Ashton do seem to be sruggling...probably cos most locals prefer Manchester or even Oldham to places like Rochdale etc. I'm not saying Oldham is where it's all at or anything...it certainly doesn't get me very excited, but you know what to expect and if you've got good company you can have a good night.... it is certainly is faring well compared to other similar towns...there's more busy bars/pubs/clubs in Oldham than there has been for a long time...bit more variation these days as well with live music at the castle, whittles and jackson's, good indie pop down at tokes, and cheese galore in the rest of the place for those that like that sort of stuff.

It's sad to see the Candlelight closing but it's closing not because of the smoking ban, red tape or Oldham getting rougher as Ken stated...that's a load of tosh and he knows it. The article in the Chron made Ken sound very bitter, which is sad. The fact is, the Candlelight is not what people go out for these days. I was in there a few weeks ago and there must have been 50 people in, tack surroundings, :censored:e DJ and music...it's just not the sort of place that is going to attract people in this day and age...it hasn't changed with the times.

I've never seen Oldham as busy as I have over the last few years. Whereas Rochdale and Ashton do seem to be sruggling...probably cos most locals prefer Manchester or even Oldham to places like Rochdale etc. I'm not saying Oldham is where it's all at or anything...it certainly doesn't get me very excited, but you know what to expect and if you've got good company you can have a good night.... it is certainly is faring well compared to other similar towns...there's more busy bars/pubs/clubs in Oldham than there has been for a long time...bit more variation these days as well with live music at the castle, whittles and jackson's, good indie pop down at tokes, and cheese galore in the rest of the place for those that like that sort of stuff.

I agree with the live music venues and they are really refreshing, rather than the 'timebomb pubs' that are down yorkshire street (though not all)

- places like the hark to topper, Shakespere, Boltmakers are cracking, proper pubs, rough maybe, but somewhere you can have a beer without the fear of some young, drugged up numpty wanting to bottle you because he believes you've been gawping at his lasses baps, even though they're hanging out over her belly button....

as for the candlelight, you''re spot on about not changing - 'grab a granny' has been all too evident for years there.

I agree with the live music venues and they are really refreshing, rather than the 'timebomb pubs' that are down yorkshire street (though not all)

- places like the hark to topper, Shakespere, Boltmakers are cracking, proper pubs, rough maybe, but somewhere you can have a beer without the fear of some young, drugged up numpty wanting to bottle you because he believes you've been gawping at his lasses baps, even though they're hanging out over her belly button....

as for the candlelight, you''re spot on about not changing - 'grab a granny' has been all too evident for years there.

Now theres a man talking from experience!!!!!????!!!!!!

Oldham's not rough, Jeff. Certainly not compared to 6 years ago when I first started going out and working in a bar there (could tell you a few stories about what used to go on up that little road infront of the Colliseum - Like the Fifteen Combat 18 members who decided to turn up with baseball bats to attack the doormen (mainly black) at Aruba.)

You're far more safer on a night in Oldham, than 'Dogdale', Ashton and other surrounding towns.

The police have it sorted now with the CCTV, taxi marshalls and it's not the free for all it once was - where you had to scrap for taxi's outside pizza and potato factory. Oldham's always busier than it used to be too nowadays and compared to similar towns it's streets ahead. Probably has too many clubs for a town like it, but unlike other towns it caters for far more people - music taste wise

As for Candlelight. Not suprised.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

good post fella. oldham's no rougher than the next town. and if anything, it's probably safer now than it's ever been in my lifetime. police and roadblocks may not be the most enticing sight to an outsider but yorkshire st has gone from the 2nd most violent st in grt manc to somewhere which is pretty safe when you think about the amount of pissed up males who saunter up and down. taxi marshalls have really helped too and should be in every town. along with extra police.

good post fella. oldham's no rougher than the next town. and if anything, it's probably safer now than it's ever been in my lifetime. police and roadblocks may not be the most enticing sight to an outsider but yorkshire st has gone from the 2nd most violent st in grt manc to somewhere which is pretty safe when you think about the amount of pissed up males who saunter up and down. taxi marshalls have really helped too and should be in every town. along with extra police.

oldham's never been the same since henry africas shut,why did sexy sue never get her kipper out but stan the man bared all........

Amusing article in tonights chron, talking about Ken Naylors notoriety. Talks about oldhams first strip club on rock street and mud wrestling contests.

i remember going to see a stripper at the candlelight in the 80s . she was dressed as an indian squaw, when she came on and nothing when she left. ah, the memories.

yeh i remember it saying he was the first in the country to have it used on him. you'd need to give me more than a can of cs before i'd attempt to restrain barrie...machine gun and ten other men as back up perhaps.

:grin:

It was definately C S gas and the cabaret - as for the ten other men, you're not far off there YD :wink:

• 1 month later...