HDTV buying help please - for Latics World Play back

danoafc

I'm thinking of buying a HDTV (well I AM buying one) and have narrowed it down to 2 models.

The first is a Panasonic TH-42PX80B which is a 720p hd plasma tv priced at £500. TH42PX80B

The 2nd is the Sony Bravia KDL40V4000 which is a 1080p hd lcd tv priced at £600. KDL40V4000

I'm currently watching standard def sky (no HD+ box but will be upgrading in Jan/Feb). We have a Wii, so no blu-ray or ps3 yet.

Which would you but and why?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

I'm thinking of buying a HDTV (well I AM buying one) and have narrowed it down to 2 models.

The first is a Panasonic TH-42PX80B which is a 720p hd plasma tv priced at £500. TH42PX80B

The 2nd is the Sony Bravia KDL40V4000 which is a 1080p hd lcd tv priced at £600. KDL40V4000

I'm currently watching standard def sky (no HD+ box but will be upgrading in Jan/Feb). We have a Wii, so no blu-ray or ps3 yet.

Which would you but and why?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Plasma TV's have progressed quite a bit these days and are less susceptible to burn and Panasonic are a decent brand. But at first glance, I'd say the Sony. The resolution is superior for a start.

I have a Panasonic and it is REALLY good...

My advice when buying any HDTV is forget about HD....HD looks good on 99% of screens.... You want to be more concerned about how SDTV will look on it as the majority of viewing you will do on it will still be SDTV. My Panasonic upscales SDTV and it looks really good. I have seen other screens which dont upscale etc and the SD image is awful....

Go over to www.avforums.com and there are people there who can advise you far better than I or many others could....

My advice is to go plasma.... Better SD image and better at bigger sizes for less money...

Edited by oafc0000

The resolution on plasmas is lousy compared to LCDs - the Sony is a true 1080 set, so I'd go for that one. More future proof, and very cheap nowadays.

Saying that, bear in mind that neither is likely to give you HD Freeview when broadcasts become available. Sonce you're on Sky, that isn't likely to be an issue though.

The only real advantage plasma has over LCD is it is blur free on fast transmissions, like sport. However, if u get an LCD with 100hz then it's just as good. Plus LCD is 'safer' than plasma cos of the risk ofimage burn. I bought a samsung 6 series 40" early in year and love it. 100hz and 1080p. To be honest, u need both to make it that little bit more future proof. Just don't pay over the odds. I saw a 40" LG with both in one of the papers this week. Can't swear for LG's quality but they certainly seem to be getting a bigger chunk of the Market these days.

The only real advantage plasma has over LCD is it is blur free on fast transmissions, like sport.

aka...buy a plasma... HD is good....but HD only really comes alive when you watch sport.... imo... Considering this is a football site...I would imagine your very interested in watching football :P

Edited by oafc0000

Sony everytime for me, especially if you are thinking of the Blu Ray upgrade. Their players (new models) tend to get rave reviews and they offer a fantastic integrated home cinema.

With regards to the TVs, the difference between 720p and 1080p will be noticeable from 37" TVs and up. Therefore, you should notice the difference between these two. The Sony will be noticeably higher resolution. It will be difficult to notice in a shop as the LCD is likely to look more grainy (your are likely to be too close to the TV in the shop) and hence you may think the plasma has a higher resolution.

I will show you three... At different price levels...

So the cheapest is £883, although that is a 50". Why are there no smaller ones? Something to do with the minimum pixel pitch on a plasma screen I'm guessing. The power used and heat generated by those screens must be horrendous!

So then, of the sets under consideration (low to mid range 37-40" sets) I'd still go for the Sony. LCD screens and 1080p are the future. Low resolution plasma screens aren't.

Upon advice from another Dan, when I bought my Samsung 40" lcd I was told to make sure it was 1080p and not I. I was also advised on getting a ps3 at the same time, now I can watch any format of dvd and play some fantastic games which the graphics are almost 'real'.

Upon advice from another Dan, when I bought my Samsung 40" lcd I was told to make sure it was 1080p and not I. I was also advised on getting a ps3 at the same time, now I can watch any format of dvd and play some fantastic games which the graphics are almost 'real'.

Yep. 1080p (progressive) is better than i (interlaced). Basically with interlaced, it doubles up the image so you only have 540 lines in effect.

So the cheapest is £883, although that is a 50". Why are there no smaller ones? Something to do with the minimum pixel pitch on a plasma screen I'm guessing. The power used and heat generated by those screens must be horrendous!

So then, of the sets under consideration (low to mid range 37-40" sets) I'd still go for the Sony. LCD screens and 1080p are the future. Low resolution plasma screens aren't.

More rash statements... You can get them lower than £883.....

more dont know really know what your talking about do you...

My advice is to go over to www.avforums.com... Those guys know best imo....