Hughes Considers Contract Offer

It is hopefully good news.

But this has thetext halmarks of the Wellens (I think, or was it Kilkenny?) when they said it would have made him the highest paid ever, but he still went elsewhere.

No sure about this, but hopefully as Barry is invloved all will be well.

Agree, he's off anyway. Just a token contract offer, like we made with Porter, Murray, Wellens, Branston and Kilkenny, despite knowing all these would be leaving.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is hopefully good news.

But this has thetext halmarks of the Wellens (I think, or was it Kilkenny?) when they said it would have made him the highest paid ever, but he still went elsewhere.

No sure about this, but hopefully as Barry is invloved all will be well.

EDIT, IT WAS KILKENNY.

SAme text?

I would like to think Hughes will sign it, but we need to be cautious and understand that it is NOT a done deal.

Equally, I'd like to know if Taylor's current form is down to knowledge that he's being pushed out - or are we going to offer our most creative penalty winner a bumper deal too?

Don't need to offer Tayls a new deal as his contract ends at the end of next season.

Guest sheridans_world
Agree, he's off anyway. Just a token contract offer, like we made with Porter, Murray, Wellens, Branston and Kilkenny, despite knowing all these would be leaving.

Makes me laugh this. How the club are offering to make him the highest paid player in the squad and its a 'token' offer.

Rubbish, whether he leaves or not, you dont offer to make someone the highest paid just for the sake of offering a contract.

The same with Kilkenny.

Sounds like the club are pulling there finger out and doing there best to keep him, which is great news! I personally think he`ll sign a new deal, he wants to play in the champ (obviously) but i think he`d want to do it with Oldham. I wouldnt mind him signing, but saying if we dont go up then maybe listen to offers for him in the summer ... i`d like to think he`ll sign the new deal for at the very least the club to get a decent fee for him, rather than him going for nothing (or next to in Jan).

Edited by kellys_discopants

Good to see the club confirming they have made a good offer to keep Hughes.

Not sure how positive / confident I feel about him actually staying though.

For the comment about the length of the contract is perhaps more key than the weekly wage. Its likely that other clubs will be able to offer Lee a higher wage than us, but we might have decided to offer a longer contract than others would be willing to risk on him given age/injury etc. Overall our offer might end up being financially very competitive for Lee.

Money will always be an important factor for any player - and perhaps this offer might help reduce/eliminate this as a reason for Lee to leave (he can earn £1m over 2 years elsewhere, of £1m over 3 years at Latics - or somewhere near these figures).

However the other factor is the level he wants to play at. If a Championship club, that is likely (or even has a chance i.e. Donnie after a few good results) to be there next season wants him - then he has guaranteed Teir 2 football vs a chance of it with us. Even if the money is the same, this might be a critical factor. If so - I can accept that and would wish Lee well as he goes.

If our offer is good and he still goes and joins another League One club - I'd be a little p'ed off.

Come on Lee - you know you want to score the winning goal on the last day of the season to snatch automatic promotion.

Why not, JSS?

Well Hughes would be made the highest paid player since TTA assumed control. Which means he'd be on more money than say, Wellens and as mentioned above, Killen. Kilkenny was to be made the highest paid player at the club at that time.

The context too is slightly different I guess, with Kilkenny having received contract offers from other clubs as well as us. Unless there's some sort of illegal tapping up going (which is very possible, I concede), the offer Hughesy has in front of him now is the only offer he has in firm.

He wants time to think it over, that's fine. I'm curious as to whether 'time to think it over' is actually a couple of days to genuinely make a decision as to whether he wants to stay or move on...or whether he may happen to wait until Jan 1st and see what offers come in then.

Don't need to offer Tayls a new deal as his contract ends at the end of next season.

No, we don't.

But then again, we don't want to be in a position next January where he turns down a contract offer before buggering off to Partick Thistle or some other crap Scottish team on a free.

Football finance is a funny old world.

No, we don't.

But then again, we don't want to be in a position next January where he turns down a contract offer before buggering off to Partick Thistle or some other crap Scottish team on a free.

Football finance is a funny old world.

I think Taylor is the one player at the club that we could trust not to do that.

Well Hughes would be made the highest paid player since TTA assumed control. Which means he'd be on more money than say, Wellens and as mentioned above, Killen. Kilkenny was to be made the highest paid player at the club at that time.

The context too is slightly different I guess, with Kilkenny having received contract offers from other clubs as well as us. Unless there's some sort of illegal tapping up going (which is very possible, I concede), the offer Hughesy has in front of him now is the only offer he has in firm.

He wants time to think it over, that's fine. I'm curious as to whether 'time to think it over' is actually a couple of days to genuinely make a decision as to whether he wants to stay or move on...or whether he may happen to wait until Jan 1st and see what offers come in then.

I see what you mean.

I took it that we have given the player the maximum we can afford, but he is still going, pre-emptive strike. same as wellens.

bhopefully, as you say, a genuine few days before we announce him staying statement.

ps My post was before I saw this possible bid from donny, and the mad speculation of late of no smoke without fire.

hopefully a negotiating poin with his agent.

brest take LH mobile as he walks in the door though, just in case..

Edited by singe

Kyle, I think you need to read the story on the OS again.

Barry Owen says and I quote "The financial offer and length of contract made to Lee Hughes is the best that has been made to any player since the owners arrived."

Cheers,

Harry

Its looking that way Harry, i was just wondering about the first bit “The contract offer would make Hughes the clubs highest paid player since the current owners assumed control”

To me that says he will be the highest paid player the owners have paid since they took control, they paid killen that was my point, why say it is my other.

Cheers

Confused Kyle.lol

ALSO Which article came first, the one on our site about the contract or the one on donny's about their interest?

Edited by KYLEOAFC

Its looking that way Harry, i was just wondering about the first bit “The contract offer would make Hughes the clubs highest paid player since the current owners assumed control”

To me that says he will be the highest paid player the owners have paid since they took control, they paid killen that was my point, why say it is my other.

Cheers

Confused Kyle.lol

I can see why you can read that from the comment Kyle, but there has recently been a thread on here that quotes Corney/Blitz in an interview, IIRC on Latics World, that NO player at the club is on more than £2.5K per week. Therefore that would put paid (no pun intended) to the notion that Hughes would have been on more than the players still under contract from the M**re days when TTA took over.

I think that the comments from Barry Owen have been made in all innocence and without thinking back to the early days and the implications of players under previous owners contracts. Lets face it, most of us want to forget those dark days.

I would also think that Barry is trying to make a positive statement of the club's intent with regard to LH.

The other point is that your highlighted words are not part of BO's quote and are written I presume by Stu Vose. Again likely to be a comment made in innocence. I would add to that that Stu wasn't employed by the club at the time and .... the scenarios are endless if you know what I mean

Basically what I am saying is that you can read too much into a simple statement and that can make it as confusing as listening to a women trying to describe the offside rule. :peepwall:

Cheers,

Harry

Cheers,

Harry

I can see why you can read that from the comment Kyle, but there has recently been a thread on here that quotes Corney/Blitz in an interview, IIRC on Latics World, that NO player at the club is on more than £2.5K per week. Therefore that would put paid (no pun intended) to the notion that Hughes would have been on more than the players still under contract from the M**re days when TTA took over.

I think that the comments from Barry Owen have been made in all innocence and without thinking back to the early days and the implications of players under previous owners contracts. Lets face it, most of us want to forget those dark days.

I would also think that Barry is trying to make a positive statement of the club's intent with regard to LH.

The other point is that your highlighted words are not part of BO's quote and are written I presume by Stu Vose. Again likely to be a comment made in innocence. I would add to that that Stu wasn't employed by the club at the time and .... the scenarios are endless if you know what I mean

Basically what I am saying is that you can read too much into a simple statement and that can make it as confusing as listening to a women trying to describe the offside rule. :peepwall:

Cheers,

Harry

Cheers,

Harry

In the interests of clarity, he means "Lee Hughes has been offered the most lucrative deal the club has offered since Oldham Athletic (2004) Limited were formed in January 2004."

Facebook account no longer active - mustn't have t'internet in deepest darkest Donny !!! Always thought there was summat strange bout them lot on t'other side of t'hills.

i was listening to the radio on the way to the ground with gmr...and the bloke who covers latics matches....

the question of hughes staying or leaving was asked,and the response was...it is no secret there is a clause in his contract which states if any club makes an offer in the transfer window it triggers the claus which is min 400k.....they went on to say that if an offer of that sum or higher comes in the owners will accept it,as they dont want to let him go for nothing at the end of the season....

the next part was that upto 5 clubs have shown interest,and that a bidding war could happen,where his price goes a lot higher as he is in demand,then went onto say that,if he goes latics will find it very difficult to replace him as he is the best striker in this division,with his goals and his movement,and pretty much finished by saying if he did leave,it could signal the end of the promotion run....

for me i would bite the bullet and not sell.....if he stays at his current strike rate we could be looking at well over 20 goals this season....which come may should see us near as damn it up,he can then walk away knowing he has done his bit,and that by getting oldham promoted has repayed the faith shown in him by the club and the fans....

off todays game i think byfield is a decent option with lewis,however im not sure it would be as profitable as hughes staying....

if the club has offered him a new deal to make him the highest paid player,then they can just as easily insert any number of clauses to cover any situation he thinks about,if he stays and is under contract and scores over 23 goals,his price will rise,only natural......if we go up he can fullfill his ambition of playing at a higher level....

Has anyone checked his facebook status <_<

TBH I'm 90% certain he's leaving as far as I'm concerned weve offered what we can. A Championship club will come in offer another £1k a week on top of that and its a no brainer for the player.

Care to enlighten me!

An extra £1k a week on his salary at a Championship club may not be enough on purely financial terms. The club statement on the site mentioned the length of the contract offered as well.

If you can earn £6k/week at Oldham for 2 1/2 years = £780k. Compare that to a 1 1/2 year contract at £8k/week = £624k. Plus longer contract, lower league = more chance for additionals such as appearance bonus (more likely to play every game as well as longer deal) and goal bonus (more likely to score more goals against lesser opposition).

I can see Championship clubs not offerring him as long a deal as we might - has a longer shelf life in League One. So on purely financial terms if we offer a longer contract we might be able to compete.

With regards to a "bidding war" - I do not think this will relate to a transfer fee. Everyone knows at £400k we have to seel if Lee wants to go - his agent will ensure any competition for his signature will be based upon wage/contract terms and not money for Oldham Athletic.

If Lee goes we will get £400k max. And possibly less plus a player 'valued' at the difference e.g. Byfield.