Hughes Considers Contract Offer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An extra £1k a week on his salary at a Championship club may not be enough on purely financial terms. The club statement on the site mentioned the length of the contract offered as well.

If you can earn £6k/week at Oldham for 2 1/2 years = £780k. Compare that to a 1 1/2 year contract at £8k/week = £624k. Plus longer contract, lower league = more chance for additionals such as appearance bonus (more likely to play every game as well as longer deal) and goal bonus (more likely to score more goals against lesser opposition).

I can see Championship clubs not offerring him as long a deal as we might - has a longer shelf life in League One. So on purely financial terms if we offer a longer contract we might be able to compete.

Of course that scenario is based on the assumption that it is Hugheseys last contract. If he did do a year in the Championship and then find himself out of contract he could drop back into league 1 and go on to earn more money than he would have done on the long contract at Latics.

Fingers crossed!! :(

another scenario.

offer hughes a new extention on his current contract,with the terms added that if he stays,and we don't go up this season,then his availablility for a transfer is triggered.

up the fee to half a million.

everyone benefits.

What price loyalty to the club that gave you a chance when no-one else would and has put up with quite a lot from LH and media??

I would stay to the end of the season as repayment to the club and agree to buyout clause at end of season.

Will be a test - otherwise shows going to be pointless supporting smallish teams at this level.

The figures that circulate in football are ridiculous even at this level and out of touch with real world.

What price loyalty to the club that gave you a chance when no-one else would and has put up with quite a lot from LH and media??

I would stay to the end of the season as repayment to the club and agree to buyout clause at end of season.

Will be a test - otherwise shows going to be pointless supporting smallish teams at this level.

The figures that circulate in football are ridiculous even at this level and out of touch with real world.

7 or 8 clubs wanted him, some already in the championship but because we did the grunt work and looked after his familly he signed with us, he could have done a u-turn and signed for a bigger club then.

there is no loyalty in football, you must realise that by now.

if he stays i will be chuffed, if he leaves.... good luck lee, i hope we get decent money and a decent replacement.

he owes us nothing in the grand scheme

Edited by palmer1

7 or 8 clubs wanted him, some already in the championship but because we did the grunt work and looked after his familly he signed with us, he could have done a u-turn and signed for a bigger club then.

there is no loyalty in football, you must realise that by now.

if he stays i will be chuffed, if he leaves.... good luck lee, i hope we get decent money and a decent replacement.

he owes us nothing in the grand scheme

Only loyalty in football from fans who are treated like shtt.....but for how much longer will they remain loyal

Was it worth the effort with LH overall ?????????

Only loyalty in football from fans who are treated like shtt.....but for how much longer will they remain loyal

Was it worth the effort with LH overall ?????????

if we can make the playoffs at the end of this season without him and its a big IF then yes it was worth it, his goals this season could prove to be priceless.

if he stays we will make the playoffs at least.

overall it was worth it.

thinking like that? should we not sign anyone just incase they progress elsewhere in there career, bringing taylor up through the ranks.......what a waste of time

its always been the same at latics. KEEP THE FAITH

Lee Hughes is probably one of luckiest people in football today. Not only has his career leapt back on track after what should've been the end of it, but in the remaining year or so of his prime - he can negotiate one last half decent contract that may get the dollars in to sort himself out for a long time.

McCormick will never get this far.

Lee Hughes is probably one of luckiest people in football today. Not only has his career leapt back on track after what should've been the end of it, but in the remaining year or so of his prime - he can negotiate one last half decent contract that may get the dollars in to sort himself out for a long time.

McCormick will never get this far.

i think he is a sincere bloke most of the time,and i also think he fully understands the implications to himself and being at this club....

the loyalty thing...well he could of left by now already couldnt he,but hasnt,i fully expect him to honour his contract.....that said i think he understands the clubs financial situation as well...and i doubt he would want to walk away so to speak leaving the club empty handed.

Same applies wherever he's playing on 1st Feb.

Obviously. I was trying to shed light on why the length of contract may be a longer one than the 2 years!!!!

it would also be interesting to hear from those "in the know" who posted on here saying that TTA wanted Hughes out and weren't going to offer him a new contract.

Not sure I agree with the view that Lee owes us anything.

Yes we gave him a chance and took a bit of flack in the media - but pretty small stuff to be honest, a few weeks and it went quiet with the exception of the odd line in a match report. But I think there were other clubs interested, so it wasn't like it was Oldham or nothing for Lee.

What have we got? A bloody good footballer for minimal wage and zero transfer fee, and 21 goals in 40 odd starts.

Seems like a decent enough deal for each party in my mind.

I would not hold a grudge against Lee no matter what happens to be honest.

- Stays and leaves in the summer for free.

- Goes now and Latics get a fee

- Signs a new deal

At the end of the day - football these days is a pretty much loyalty free game. Lee Hughes has been a good player, added some 'fun / mischief' to match days, and has given us some great days (Crewe, Millwall etc).