Gregan's shot at the end prompted a thought

The shot by Gregan at the end that just went the wrong side of the post was an agonising opportunity missed to take 3 points out of todays game - which I think we deserved, but at the moment that appears to be the way its going at the moment at home.

But it got me thinking about the contribution our defenders make to the Goals Scored column - and its not good.

1 from Ruben and 1 from Jones. That is it.

Given we have the highest number of corners in the division (and another 19 today) its amazing that our centre backs are not bagging a few goals each. I'd expect 4-6 goals a season from a player like Gregan from set plays.

I'd also expect a 2 -3 from the full backs from linking up with the midfield and getting a bit adventurous (Lomax had a chance late on).

Not sure what the cause is - but if the defense contributed a little more, perhaps we might have nicked a winner in a few more of the home draws this season.

As for the game / position. Yet more frustration at home, but I think I feel less frustrated having seen the game at Crewe. More and more this season is reminding me of the Dowie play-off season - average at home, but good away.

We are 5th, and 4 pts clear of 7th. Decent enough.

See you at the Mamas and Papas stadium on Saturday!

The shot by Gregan at the end that just went the wrong side of the post was an agonising opportunity missed to take 3 points out of todays game - which I think we deserved, but at the moment that appears to be the way its going at the moment at home.

But it got me thinking about the contribution our defenders make to the Goals Scored column - and its not good.

1 from Ruben and 1 from Jones. That is it.

Given we have the highest number of corners in the division (and another 19 today) its amazing that our centre backs are not bagging a few goals each. I'd expect 4-6 goals a season from a player like Gregan from set plays.

I'd also expect a 2 -3 from the full backs from linking up with the midfield and getting a bit adventurous (Lomax had a chance late on).

Not sure what the cause is - but if the defense contributed a little more, perhaps we might have nicked a winner in a few more of the home draws this season.

As for the game / position. Yet more frustration at home, but I think I feel less frustrated having seen the game at Crewe. More and more this season is reminding me of the Dowie play-off season - average at home, but good away.

We are 5th, and 4 pts clear of 7th. Decent enough.

See you at the Mamas and Papas stadium on Saturday!

I kinda see what you're saying, but i'd personally be happier seeing them keeping clean sheets than scoring and hoping the goals are being provided by 1 of the 6 guys in front of 'em! 19 corners and not a sniff though is a bit tosh!

Defensively as a team as a whole, we are looking pretty solid at the moment - build on that and you ain't going to be far away!

Our goals for column doesn't look that bad to me.

Yes, I'd like Hazell and Gregan to win the occasional header from one of our corners, but if we have the right creativity in front of the back 4, then I don't care who gets on the end of it. Our midfielders have scored several more goals this season than last.

More important is how we turn the screw on weaker opponents and ensure draws at home are converted in to wins.

Our full backs don't overlap anymore, that's the thing. When did you last see Lomax bomb past Taylor? He just gives him the ball and that's his job done. Same, but to a lesser extent, Eards.

And corners...pathetic. What Shez thinks during the week I'll never know? What is it with the short corner? More often than not we try a risky ball to the full back rather than getting it in the mixer. Remember Stockport away? Jones miscontrolled as the last man and they broke, nearly scoring!

And when they do go in the box everyone does their own thing. Gregan just makes a run, that's it, and the ball reaches the box as he's reached the front post. It's all in the...timing! And desire. How did Neal Trotman get his head on every corner? Not because he was telepathic but because he wanted it.

Scunny showed us how to do it. All centre halves and strikers in a group outside the box and they bomb in as the ball is put on the penalty spot. At least one of them will get it. Sure to beat a defender who's from a standing jump and with momentum any kind of contact is dangerous.

E4e

DATEZ

We're crap at set pieces. Corners, free kicks and throw ins. We always have been under Shez - just doesn't look like we train them or have any plan.

I am sick to death of saying we are crap at throw-ins, been saying it for years, going back to Joe we have not been able to master man standing with ball in hands throwing it to a team-mate. Not "at" a team-mate so it arrives chest height or with more force than Hurricane Katrina but so the receiver can easily control it and then start an attack.

Our full backs don't overlap anymore, that's the thing. When did you last see Lomax bomb past Taylor? He just gives him the ball and that's his job done. Same, but to a lesser extent, Eards.

And corners...pathetic. What Shez thinks during the week I'll never know? What is it with the short corner? More often than not we try a risky ball to the full back rather than getting it in the mixer. Remember Stockport away? Jones miscontrolled as the last man and they broke, nearly scoring!

And when they do go in the box everyone does their own thing. Gregan just makes a run, that's it, and the ball reaches the box as he's reached the front post. It's all in the...timing! And desire. How did Neal Trotman get his head on every corner? Not because he was telepathic but because he wanted it.

Scunny showed us how to do it. All centre halves and strikers in a group outside the box and they bomb in as the ball is put on the penalty spot. At least one of them will get it. Sure to beat a defender who's from a standing jump and with momentum any kind of contact is dangerous.

E4e

DATEZ

And what's more :grin: we beat Scunny 3-0... :wink: