Lee Hughes Poll - Would you sell?

DeeDahRover

Hughes Sale  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sell Hughes if you were TTA?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes + Byfield

400k or no deal... If he goes for under 400k I wouldnt be happy...

Then you wont be happy cos i reckon it will be £300k + Byefield.

If thats the case then forget promotion cos Byefield does nowt for me.

Why Shez is persisting with a striker that offers nothing that isn't on the bench is beyond me.

Extra wage on the books that could be better spent !!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Shez is persisting with a striker that offers nothing that isn't on the bench is beyond me.

I agree that a money plus player deal that is said to equal £400k from Donnie is the most likely scenario. They have said they want him but cannot afford £400k; they obviously don't want Byfield; Shez likes Byfield; Latics would need a replacement for Hughes.

Hence I have asked a couple of times for the length of Byfields contract / purchase fee (if any) to understand what 'value' Darren might make in the deal. £50k, £100k, £150k or £200k. Can see the worst case being DB plus £200k - remember feeling that Pointon and Redmond were 'over valued' in the deal that took Holden to City.

As for Byfield - think he is technically a decent player and had some lovely touches yesterday IMO. However seems a player that lacks a bit of heart at times for the battle - and Latics fans quickly get on the backs of players like that. Have seen him 3 times now - and would be happy to take him on, but not sure I'd value him at more that £75k in a swap deal.

I agree that a money plus player deal that is said to equal £400k from Donnie is the most likely scenario. They have said they want him but cannot afford £400k; they obviously don't want Byfield; Shez likes Byfield; Latics would need a replacement for Hughes.

Hence I have asked a couple of times for the length of Byfields contract / purchase fee (if any) to understand what 'value' Darren might make in the deal. £50k, £100k, £150k or £200k. Can see the worst case being DB plus £200k - remember feeling that Pointon and Redmond were 'over valued' in the deal that took Holden to City.

As for Byfield - think he is technically a decent player and had some lovely touches yesterday IMO. However seems a player that lacks a bit of heart at times for the battle - and Latics fans quickly get on the backs of players like that. Have seen him 3 times now - and would be happy to take him on, but not sure I'd value him at more that £75k in a swap deal.

Byfield would be a decent addition, but why don't we sound out one of their big lumps in McCammon or Jason Price as part of the deal. Time to be cute Shez, give uncle Joe a ring he'll teach you a thing or two on how to get the best deal. We have a commodity Donny want, rumours are abound that they can't stump up the price we're asking, we hold all the cards and should turn the situation to our advantage. Hughes going should not be the end of our challenge IF we are are clever enough.

£300k + Byfield would equal £400k.... So I wouldnt be unhappy....

Byfield would be a decent addition, but why don't we sound out one of their big lumps in McCammon or Jason Price as part of the deal. Time to be cute Shez, give uncle Joe a ring he'll teach you a thing or two on how to get the best deal. We have a commodity Donny want, rumours are abound that they can't stump up the price we're asking, we hold all the cards and should turn the situation to our advantage. Hughes going should not be the end of our challenge IF we are are clever enough.

I wouldn't mind one of those two battering rams instead of Byfield. Give us a bit of presence up top if Hughes was to go.

I don't think we're in too bad a situation here. We either keep him for longer or we get around £400k for a guy who might not be good enough in a couple of years time.

If we do lose him it's certainly not the end of the road as far as promotion is concerned. It's upto Shez to find the right guy to replace him. Maybe Davies and Byfield will work well?

If Shez is given the funds to bring in a striker and I'm sure the two Simon's will do, we're in a very strong position to bring someone in from another club. A lot of clubs are struggling and may have to sell. How about Lambert? I hear Tyson is available as well. Why couldn't Hughes be replaced with someone like them?

It's going to be an interesting January.

Theres a few opinions on here knocking about about whether to sell Lee Hughes in January. Personally I think 400k is a good price for a 32 year old striker but I think that we need him for a chance of promotion this season. Sign him up and sell him in the summer if we miss out on promotion.

Theres a few opinions on here knocking about about whether to sell Lee Hughes in January. Personally I think 400k is a good price for a 32 year old striker but I think that we need him for a chance of promotion this season. Sign him up and sell him in the summer if we miss out on promotion.

Ok we get the 400k who will we realistically sign who will bag as many as hughes? We might do but i just carnt see it, gold dust at this level

The point of it being hughes' choice rather than the clubs does make this irrelevant but in principle you would choose goals over money. Although its a gamble as he could walk away is it worthwhile IF you get promoted for all the benefits in revenue that would bring

Edited by KiDdErZ

Sign him up and sell him in the summer if we miss out on promotion.

Thats my thoughts tbh ... he obviously wants to play in the champ but i think he`d like to do it with Oldham, so hopefully he`ll sign, and then he gives us goals for promotion or a decent fee if we dont go up. However, if he rejects the deal then i couldnt blame the TTA for selling, 400k is alot of money.

The poll is mis-leading. The question is "Would you sell if you were the TTA". Well, of course you would. You get offered 400k for a player who can leave on a free in the summer. They aren't going to allow that to happen, especially after the Porter scenario.

As a fan, though, I would not sell him because, without his goals, we will not go up. I would rather he left on a free in the summer than in mid-season. But, it is completely un-realistic to expect TTA to do that, and I wouldn't blame them one bit.

I don't think we're in too bad a situation here. We either keep him for longer or we get around £400k for a guy who might not be good enough in a couple of years time.

If we do lose him it's certainly not the end of the road as far as promotion is concerned. It's upto Shez to find the right guy to replace him. Maybe Davies and Byfield will work well?

If Shez is given the funds to bring in a striker and I'm sure the two Simon's will do, we're in a very strong position to bring someone in from another club. A lot of clubs are struggling and may have to sell. How about Lambert? I hear Tyson is available as well. Why couldn't Hughes be replaced with someone like them?

It's going to be an interesting January.

Lambert could be going to the premiership for a million so we can rule him out but Tyson is another matter.

Acording to reports they could be prepared to let him go and he would be a great signing for us...having said that Calderwood has just been sacked so it could be on hold until a new manager is appointed.

If they decide to let him go could a swap for Lee Hughes be on the cards?

They need goals to keep them up and Hughes could be the man....The only downside to the deal would be Tyson's fitness record....he spends a lot of time on the treatment table!!!!

The poll is mis-leading. The question is "Would you sell if you were the TTA". Well, of course you would. You get offered 400k for a player who can leave on a free in the summer. They aren't going to allow that to happen, especially after the Porter scenario.

As a fan, though, I would not sell him because, without his goals, we will not go up. I would rather he left on a free in the summer than in mid-season. But, it is completely un-realistic to expect TTA to do that, and I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Well it was mis-leading as it doesn't matter what TTA want, if we get offered £400k it is all up to Hughes as tha clause is met. It's then up to Hughes and nothing to do with the club at all.

Well it was mis-leading as it doesn't matter what TTA want, if we get offered £400k it is all up to Hughes as tha clause is met. It's then up to Hughes and nothing to do with the club at all.

Correct - just wonder if Hughesie will take up the new contract... :blush:

Re the poll, remember the clause, if we get a 400k bid, its out of our hands as we have to accept it.

And re donnys approach, 400k or no deal IMO, simple as.

I very much doubt Doncaster are the only championship club interested in Hughes, and I would imagine there is at least 1 championship team willing to pay the 400k.

He'll go for about 250K.

You watch the lack of ambition rearing its ugly head again.

on a side note i see the stadium redevopment is well,erm,not happening.

:mad:

If he goes for less than 400k...which i dont think he will....I will start to worry about the long term future under the 3TAs....

He'll go for about 250K.

You watch the lack of ambition rearing its ugly head again.

on a side note i see the stadium redevopment is well,erm,not happening.

:mad:

I don't think many redevelopments are happening right now, need someone to actually buy the land off us first!

If he goes for less than 400k...which i dont think he will....I will start to worry about the long term future under the 3TAs....

Depends.

Hughes turns round to the club after reflection and says he doesn't want to take the offer we have made and therefore will start talking to other clubs in Januray with a view to move on in the summer.

During the January transfer window nobody comes in an offers £400k. But we get a few clubs offering £250-300k and they are offerring persoanl terms that Lee will accept.

At this point TTA have 2 options:

1) Don't sell, and keep Lee here for the rest of this season knowing he is off in the Summer for free.

2) Sell and get £250-300k in now.

For me, if you are using your business head instead of your football supporting heart, then Option 2 is a better long term view. £250-300k ensures further financial security for the club which is a long-term benefit. Option 1 is a short-term gamble on Hughes scoring the goals that might get us promoted.

As a fan I'd want option 1, but to say that options 2 is TTA having no long-term future is wrong. Ensuring that the club gets closer and closer to being able to be self-sufficent (and that may well be based upon a business model of selling one or 2 good players every now again) is the best thing TTA can do for the long-term.

The result of the pool seems to be clear...

The majority would rather Hughes stays and we take a shot at promotion....

I would be more than willing to risk everything to get out of this division! I can only see the club dyeing a slow painful death unless we somehow progress.... Sticking around in League One is killing us...