Todays Oldham Chipwrapper Rumours

Linky thingy http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...-bid-for-hughes

Suggests 400k too much for Donny offer of player + cash likely.....yeah right offer us Byfield who was a free signing and has another 18 months of contract to run + some cash. Tell them to get stuffed.

Eardley linked to Brizzle City for a million. Snap there hands off.....?

Grayson has said the following to the BBC.

"One or two players may leave the football club, with some coming in, that's always the case in January.

"Hopefully the targets I had for Blackpool may now come here instead."

I might be doing some 2+2=5 stuff here but I think we can expect a bid for Taylor from Leeds.

If hughes signs contract, then to sell eardley for a million meaning we keep chrissy t at the club and remain genuine promotion candidates tht is wot we'll hav to do .... tho dnt wana sell eards cos i am the in the pro side of the arguement BUT the other two are VITAL for any chance of the championship at BP nxt year

Suggests 400k too much for Donny offer of player + cash likely.....yeah right offer us Byfield who was a free signing and has another 18 months of contract to run + some cash. Tell them to get stuffed.

Beginning to think that the Chron logs onto this website, reads a few post titles and writes their stories.

remind me again how much did we pay for hughes?

Byfield just isn't the answer. More clubs than some famous golfer. You'd expect him to bust a bo!!ock on loan, hoping for a contract, but he hasn't. Far from it. Get him on a longer contract and jeez...you think he's comfortable now...he'll start playing in slippers.

If Hughes goes and is replaced by Byfield then Shez really isn't up for it.

Get a striker in with presence. Or use one we've got in the stands in COG?

E4e

DBBOH

Byfield just isn't the answer. More clubs than some famous golfer. You'd expect him to bust a bo!!ock on loan, hoping for a contract, but he hasn't. Far from it. Get him on a longer contract and jeez...you think he's comfortable now...he'll start playing in slippers.

If Hughes goes and is replaced by Byfield then Shez really isn't up for it.

Get a striker in with presence. Or use one we've got in the stands in COG?

E4e

DBBOH

I can see the furstration with Byfield, but I still think he has ability. For me he still looks like he will score goals and is not afraind of having a shot. He would be a step-down in quality from Hughes, but then again so will anyone we get. Shez obviously likes him, and the last 2 games he has looked good to me.

As for Chris - 21 goals in 4 1/2 seasons says he is not a prolific scorer. Coupled with the fact when I see him I just don't feel he is a threat - someone else said he has had one (weak) shot on target in the games he has played for us (OK not many, but still a poor stat for a striker). Might hold the ball up well, bring others into the game etc. but forward need to shoot and score - think DB looks more likely that COG to do that.

Fair point, but do we risk yet another wage and contract in the hope that Byfield comes good or do we make a decision on what we've seen so far?

He's not worth the risk to me. We're his 13th club. Why will he start to prove his worth now on the wrong side of 30? Avoid, avoid, avoid.

COG is on our books yet so far has started only 5 games (Byfield 7 or 8??). And one of those was that shambles at Burnley where no Latics player was allowed within 30 yards of him. Give him a run a la Byfield and then let's judge.

Shez has paid good money for him (after watching him for some time) and it just seems ludicrous that we're continuing to throw money at the strikers position (on duffers may I add) rather than giving a go to what we have.

E4e

CHANS

and your point is? Mines the fact they can't expect a lot for a player who hasn't fitted in at Donny arrived on a free and still have to pay for 18 months if he doesn't leave before then. Theyshould be paying us for taking him not knocking a value of Hughes £400k

As for Leeds bidding for Taylor an absolute certainty in my view as posted previously because of Graysons past interest.

If you say to me our strikeforce after Hughes leaves will be O'Grady, Byfield, Davies, Lewi and Wolfy (fugget Smalley, he's a winger) I'm just not confident on us scoring enough goals to fire us into the play offs and above. It looks ordinary.

However... Hughes, Davies, O'Grady, Lewi and err... yeah Wolfy then yeah. I think we've enough to do it, and injury permitting, Hughes will be on well over 20 goals for the season, which is what you want from your main striker.

Soo, the player + cash offer assuming it's Byfield? Not on your nelly. Make it Hayter and it could get interesting.

So if they don't bid 400k, the release clause won't be triggered and we don't have to listen to the bid. I would expect we would only listen to such a bid if there are other bids that meet the 400k threshold.... in which case I would doubt Hughes to be interested in Donny anyway.

It's an interesting one though, who would you go for if you were a championship team, Hughes or Porter as I reckon that Motherwell will be keen to get a fee for Big Chris (who got a hat trick on sat), as he will likely go for nowt in the summer otherwise.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

and your point is? Mines the fact they can't expect a lot for a player who hasn't fitted in at Donny arrived on a free and still have to pay for 18 months if he doesn't leave before then. Theyshould be paying us for taking him not knocking a value of Hughes £400k

As for Leeds bidding for Taylor an absolute certainty in my view as posted previously because of Graysons past interest.

we dont know what they expect, they have not made a bid yet, byfield has scored goals everywhere he has been when playing at our level, i know he has not scored many at donny but his valuation cant be dropping that much.

i would compare his style of play to lewi, byfields only 29 and has more experience and has scored mor goals, how would you value lewi?

i would hope to get all the money for hughes rather than a swap but your above statement is a bit :blink:

the club needs to explore all avenues to make sure we have balance IF hughes goes

we dont know what they expect, they have not made a bid yet, byfield has scored goals everywhere he has been when playing at our level, i know he has not scored many at donny but his valuation cant be dropping that much.

i would compare his style of play to lewi, byfields only 29 and has more experience and has scored mor goals, how would you value lewi?

i would hope to get all the money for hughes rather than a swap but your above statement is a bit :blink:

the club needs to explore all avenues to make sure we have balance IF hughes goes

if eardley is wanted for a million then let him go.....i have every confidence under a different manager he will come good,and prove a lot of people at bp wrong...

its a certanty that grayson will come in for taylor...hopefully eardly moving will prevent that and we will see just how much grayson thinks he is worth,i just hope the club dont get greedy and let all 3 go,preferring the cash to promotion,think if that happened a lot of people would turn there back on the club.

hughes hasnt cost us anything except wages,so anything that we get would offset the money payed to him...

byfield hasnt scored much as he hasnt played for rovers...couple of games then dropped then an injury....if he was a free signing then he is a makeweight in the hughes deal and as such the 400k should stand.....rovers have just been promoted have sell out crowds every week and there trying to say they cant afford 400k!! trying it on more like.

Byfield is 32 not 29.

Although he has skill, I am concerned about his fitness level as he seems to be struggling after about an hour. Something which probably isn't going to get any better considering his age.

Byfield is 32 not 29.

Although he has skill, I am concerned about his fitness level as he seems to be struggling after about an hour. Something which probably isn't going to get any better considering his age.

That depends which games you're basing that on I guess. He wasn't match fit for the first couple or so, came from his sick bed to play at Crewe, and looked sharp for an hour or so only two days later v Carlisle.

i know he has not scored many at donny but his valuation cant be dropping that much.

lol..... I appreciate what your saying but his value is zero if signed on a free in the summer and things haven't worked out. Will cost Donny 18 months of wages if they can't offload, simply Donny can't expect us to fall for say valuing Byfield at £150,000 and getting Hughes for £250k. IF he has to go we want the £400k + any odd makeweights that might be worth taking ie Wellens....cough. lol.