Worse case scenario time!

So if Hughes goes to donny..

Taylor goes to Leeds..

Eardley goes to Brizzle...

And Davies goes to Stocky...

Who do we bring in to replace them, and what do we have in the Yoof setup that could make the step up???

nobody in the youth set up ready yet i suspect.....

not too sure about replacements either..how do you replace a 20 goal a season striker....a winger that chips in with his share of goals...a 3rd choice striker who scored 15 goals...

eardley would be replaced by lomax but that leaves us a left back short as jones is injured,and i dont think lee is a convincing left back to be honest.

Purely as a speculative punt, but I've always thought Joel Porter would be within our means should we lose Hughes. I think it's probably a bit late to go for Bishop now, as I'd be surprised if he went for less than £300k, but Porter may be a bit more gettable for us, won't be on megawages and has a fantastic pedigree at this level.

As for left winger, with the money we'd get for Taylor, surely we'd be able to take Delmar Phillips back from Stoke?

So if Hughes goes to donny..

Taylor goes to Leeds..

Eardley goes to Brizzle...

And Davies goes to Stocky...

Who do we bring in to replace them, and what do we have in the Yoof setup that could make the step up???

I think we would in trouble. I can't see Davis going. I can't see Taylor going but the other two who knows.

I think we would in trouble. I can't see Davis going. I can't see Taylor going but the other two who knows.

you are right. dont think we could possibly get a team to gel together for this season if we lost all 4 players, no matter who we bought with the money

Purely as a speculative punt, but I've always thought Joel Porter would be within our means should we lose Hughes. I think it's probably a bit late to go for Bishop now, as I'd be surprised if he went for less than £300k, but Porter may be a bit more gettable for us, won't be on megawages and has a fantastic pedigree at this level.

As for left winger, with the money we'd get for Taylor, surely we'd be able to take Delmar Phillips back from Stoke?

Porter's a good shout, although he needs the ball into feet. Despite the messiah he is portrayed as and the fact he is supposedly 'head and shoulders' above anything in this league, Hughes is well down the list of scorers in League 1. Porter has scored the same amount in a struggling side and as I have said earlier in the season i'm not convinced Hughes will be able to hack it in the Championship let alone for a struggling team like Donny. If we do rake in a fortune for Eardley or Taylor, bid for clarke, just what we are lacking - a real presence up there. If we lose Taylor, let's see whether Smalley can fit in or balls to it give Bembo Lita a go.

Agree with sending Byfield back, Davies is a better player and DB is playing at the expense of COG. No need to waste the wages imo.

Don't be too sure. Chrissy may be injured, he may be knackered, he may be suffering from a loss of form, or he may be being marked out of games but in my opinion his lacklustre performances over the last few weeks have coincided with the window approaching - he's unsettled imo and there's no smoke without fire...

Despite the messiah he is portrayed as and the fact he is supposedly 'head and shoulders' above anything in this league, Hughes is well down the list of scorers in League 1. Porter has scored the same amount in a struggling side and as I have said earlier in the season i'm not convinced Hughes will be able to hack it in the Championship let alone for a struggling team like Donny.

I think 13 goals, plus his assists and penalties won (must be around a similar amount, surely?) practically states he's head and shoulders above most in this division. OK, Fryatt and Lambert I'd class as above him, and the lad at Peterborough looks a good 'un but he's 5th in the leading scorers which isn't too bad given the talent in this division at the moment. And had he taken a couple more chances which you'd expect him to bag, he's only 2 goals behind Davies for the whole of last season.

In other words, we need to keep him if possible.

Losing Davies would be a blow for me, as he is a threatening player with pace and his time at County has shown that he can score regularly at this level (in case any of us forgot last season). However - given that he has not played this season much, it would not disrupt the team too much if no other forwards left.

Eardley - been in and out of the team, so again we have proved we can 'do without' and that he can be repalced. Another loan player should be viable to get cover in. Defenders eaiser to replace than attacking players? Jones could be back in time.

Whilst I would keep both players if I could - if money in was decent enough then I think I'd let one or even both of these go.

Taylor - VERY difficult to replace, if at all. Would presumably bring in decent money, but it isn't just ability GP brings. The fight and passion for being an Oldham fan is key as well. The loss of Chris would be a definitive blow to our league performance - but I suppose the use of Lidds / Lee (though he so looks like a central player) / Deano and perhaps a loand player could see us pick up enough points to have a shout. But I think this could be the case IF we didn't lose....

Hughes - Another VERY difficult player to replace, and again any replacement would be a reduction in abilty (and fun to watch!). If we had Byfield, retained Davies and kept Taylor I think we could still have enough fire-power to get the points to give us a shout. Perhaps Stephens (a foarward IIRC) could be given a shout - but presuming Shez sees him regularly and he has not made the bench yet, maybe not.

I think we can afford to lose Taylor OR Hughes. Not both if we want to keep in the hunt. 2 players that are ever present and key threats is too much disruption to the team - in terms of consistency, confidence, and ability.

Davies - think he would cost more to replace with similar ability than we would get for him, but if the money helps keep others, so be it.

Eardley - if the rumoured figures are true. SELL SELL SELL. Could mean keeping others and strengthening money for Shez AND money to help TTA.

January is always a long month. 31 days, dark, after Christmas, long time to wait till Fed payday with big credit card bills. Feel that this one could be the longest EVER. Thank god I have 10 days snowboarding in the middle - keep my mind and time off this site.

Stephens is a midfielder. I don't think we can afford to lose Hughes or Taylor to be honest. Taylor is always a threat and he is taking 2 opposition players out of the game every week as he is always double marked. Hughes' goals are vital and will be very diffcult to replace. How many 20 goal a season men have we had recently? Whoever came in as a replacement would have to slot right in and keep the goals flowing, I don't think we can afford to have another dry spell.

Eardley is a player i rate but if we get a million + a sell on clause i'd take it. If we can get good money for Davies then fair enough, sell, but I wouldn't be touting him around, he's far better than Byefield when his head is on it.

Taylor is always a threat and he is taking 2 opposition players out of the game every week as he is always double marked.

Eardley is a player i rate but if we get a million + a sell on clause i'd take it. If we can get good money for Davies then fair enough, sell, but I wouldn't be touting him around, he's far better than Byefield when his head is on it.

I really dont think any player is irreplaceable at this level... if anyone goes, someone else will come in and the world will still continue, and we will be there or there about the playoffs...

I'm also becoming more and more 'concerned' about the Chrissy T impact... I'm starting to watch games an wonder if we would create more chances with someone who is genuinely able to get down the line and cross the ball, we arent creating enough chances, and frequently I think taylor is becoming a big culprit of this... he either gets the ball and is marked out, or he creates a chance for himself, and his shooting boots are a little missing lately...

Now, in no way am I suggesting that he isnt possibly the best winger in this division, and should easily find himself playing in the championship or above soon... however, i think the team wouldnt fall to pieces as we may think without him, especially if DJ gets himsef fit and back on out LW, i'm sure our strikers would like a few more balls as he put in against walsall...

If Hughes goes i'm sure there will be lots of players who can do a job, and DJ and Philips will be there is taylor leaves... however, I'd love to see Hughes, DJ and Tayls in our side in march... however I doubt it...