loyalty

he had several clubs interested, we did the grunt work for a few months earlier so he decided to join us, it was mentioned in his first press conference.

Also, from what I can read into an earlier post, it was Barry Owen that did that grunt work, and a major factor in Hughes signing for us.

Big Tom from the Liberal club told me that little Walter (him who always wears jeans with a hole in the knee), spoke to Lee Hughes and he said:

Hughes would love to stay but has been angered by Simon Corney referring to his new Doris as a ‘slappywag’.

Big Tom was eating a ploughman’s at this point though so the truth may be slightly askew

i feel totally confident that lee hughes will be staying at boundary park.

i also feel totally confident that he will show loyalty to us, given the circumstances in which he joined us,and even now,

the club has gone a further mile now by offering him a decent wage until he probably nears retirement age.

his missus will also have a big say in this. and i`m sure she will certainly be remembering /reminding lee as to the reasons why and how he`s still playing pro-football.

you get my confident drift ??

There is no loyalty in football. If a player is happy where he is then he will probably stay unless a much bigger offer comes in. As far as Hughes goes, then this may well be his last contract, and he has to make sure it's as lucrative as possible. I doubt he will sign up with us at this time. Nor will he agree to leave. If he has any sense he will keep his options open until the summer. If we get promoted we may be able to offer him more money, but we won't be able to compete with Doncaster if they stay up.

How many people on here would stay in the job they are doing, if they were offered significantly more money to do the same job elsewhere? Certainly not me.

Now this is not internet gossip but three of my good mates were in the same pub as lee hughes last month - i wont say which pub it was (but believe me its not a glamorous one) he was with 2 girls, and when asked if he is staying his reply was 'it depends how much your chairman is willing to pay me'. Now please dont take this as idle gossip etc this is the truth and what actually happened and what got said

Not realli idle gossip, but I think most fans have come to the conclusion that it all comes down to money, this could be Hughes last 'big' contract in football and so he wants to get the most he can for it.

Barry is an good choice (and most sensible.... SC comments on the 'infamous' LW interview showed exactly why he should stay out of it, apart from writing the cheque) as he was instrumental in getting him her in the first place.

I love it when the loyalty word comes up.

I have absolutely no doubt that Lee is incredibly grateful to Latics, and that one of the main reasons he joined us ahead of other interested clubs was to repay the work the club did - primarily by Barry - to support him and persuade him to come.

Yes we'd love him to stay, get us promoted, and see out his career with us in the Championship. But this is his profession and his livelihood, and he's only doing the right thing by trying to ensure his final big contract is the right one. If he leaves for £400k in January that gives us a chunk of money to help balance the books and fund a replacement. In fact, £400k would be an excellent parting gift from Lee to repay the club for resurrecting his career. To me, that's a pretty good second best to him staying. And 400,000 times better than him walking for nothing in the summer.

I have absolutely no doubt that Lee is incredibly grateful to Latics, and that one of the main reasons he joined us ahead of other interested clubs was to repay the work the club did - primarily by Barry - to support him and persuade him to come.

Yes we'd love him to stay, get us promoted, and see out his career with us in the Championship. But this is his profession and his livelihood, and he's only doing the right thing by trying to ensure his final big contract is the right one. If he leaves for £400k in January that gives us a chunk of money to help balance the books and fund a replacement. In fact, £400k would be an excellent parting gift from Lee to repay the club for resurrecting his career. To me, that's a pretty good second best to him staying. And 400,000 times better than him walking for nothing in the summer.

yes i am sure he is extremely grateful....and yes it is prolly his last contract....

however its a no brainer to me....sign a new deal,have clauses inserted.....and score the goals to get us up,then he would be playing in the championship ne way.

if we dont go up his clause will be triggered and he can still go,and we still get a chunk of cash....

In fact, £400k would be an excellent parting gift from Lee to repay the club for resurrecting his career. To me, that's a pretty good second best to him staying. And 400,000 times better than him walking for nothing in the summer.

although this would be nice, id prefer a gamble of promotion and its associated bigger payday minus £400k if he walked for free. but thats just me, i love a gamble i do.

anyways, if it appears that he wont sign, id wager tta would take the £400k. mainly thanks to wellens and porter.

i just feel that lee hughes will prove to be the exception given the circumstances of how he ended up a latics player...

I'm finding the above highlighted phrase quite ironic. It's "given the circumstances" of him being an utter prick that led to his circumstances and how he came to be at ours. The point being...really, as a person, he is a bit of a knob and I expect no loyalty from him but what Lee Hughes thinks is best for Lee Hughes. I expect him to go if the best deal for him lies in Yaaaarkshire (or wherever else it's on offer.)

On a footballing side I'll be sad to lose his talents. He's the best player we've had since being in this division and wouldn't have had him any other way. On the flipside, it'll be funny to watch all those who've hero-worshipped from the moment his name was announced with our club, turn on him in the blink of an eye. If Beckett (who was never offered a contract) gets :censored: for not staying with us....I can't imagine the hypocricy and scron Hughes will get from his supporters.

Last person I expect loyalty from is Hughes and if he doesn't go...trust me, it'll be coz the money wasn't good enough elsewhere!

I take it maths isn't your strong point.

400,000 times nothing = ? :ohno::tongue1:

But I know what you meant. :grin:

Cheers,

Harry

Barry is an good choice (and most sensible.... SC comments on the 'infamous' LW interview showed exactly why he should stay out of it, apart from writing the cheque) as he was instrumental in getting him her in the first place.

Yes, Barry never makes a :censored: of himself through his public pronouncements, does he?

On 9th October, in the rarely wrong Chron, Hughes said: “Everybody is ambitious to get up there, including me, and I think we’ve got a great chance this season.

“The best time to look at the league isn’t until Christmas, but I want to play in the Championship and I want to do it with Oldham.

“I’ve been there before and I think we’re good enough, especially if the experienced players can stay fit.

“It’s a tight league so I can’t see there being an out-and-out winner, but we’ve definitely got the ability.”

Until I hear anything different from Hughes, I'm happy with what he said.