Lee Hughes gone / going

Sorry but WTF???? Since when have we begged any player to stay? If they don't want to be here then so be it. As Corney says the club will not be held to ransom financially and I don't think the fans should be held emotionally to ransom either.

Please Joe

Don't go

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its threads like these which is the reason why I dislike messageboards*.

* Yes, I know. I'm posting on something I generally dislike in the main. But I like to look at them for information, and every now and again there is a decent post, and the odd great debate but honestly, 99% of the contents tend to be unfounded rumour mongering and cliquéy in-joking bourne through sheer boredom. Fin.

I think its threads like these which is the reason why I dislike messageboards*.

* Yes, I know. I'm posting on something I generally dislike in the main. But I like to look at them for information, and every now and again there is a decent post, and the odd great debate but honestly, 99% of the contents tend to be unfounded rumour mongering and cliquéy in-joking bourne through sheer boredom. Fin.

Im sorry but that deserved to be much bigger :D

Its funny... You only have to look at some other threads to see the damage unfounded rumour mongering can have...like hold the belife that Shez has ballsed up loads of potential sigings :).... As cliquey....tell me about it :) I have my own clique :) Its fun being the only member :)

Edited by oafc0000

• 2 weeks later...
Let us be first to start the bidding war, who is going to ring sky sports tomorrow to let them know of Sheff Utd's so called 500K bid

Which is clearly bull****. He has a minimum fee clause release of 400k, if anyone bid 500k they would be just giving us an extra 100k for no reason whatsoever.

Which is clearly bull****. He has a minimum fee clause release of 400k, if anyone bid 500k they would be just giving us an extra 100k for no reason whatsoever.

I usually love the rumour stuff on this board. "bloke in the pub said ..." / "player's Dad was in the chippy and said ...". It's probably why I come on.

But the concept of any club paying 1p more than a contractual release clause is clearly bananas.

If they had the extra £100k to pay (which they presumably do) it would be dangled nicely in a contract of to outdo the likes of Burnley/Donny etc.

Sheff Utd have just offered 400k for Jamie Ward at Chesterfield.. Dragging on this now if he wants to go and not looking to sign a contract with us cash him in and spend 100k on Bishop at Bury. How much will Donny get for beating Cheltenham is the Villa game on BBC or something?

DEANO NOT HUGHES REPLACEMENT - SHEZ

Posted on: Fri 16 Jan 2009

Manager John Sheridan has slammed suggestions that striker Dean Windass has been signed to replace 14-goal top scorer Lee Hughes.

Hughes, 32, has been a vital part of Athletic's armoury this morning and scored again in the 2-1 win over Hartlepool at Boundary Park.

Meanwhile 39-year-old Windass made an encouraging debut and was unlucky not to score, striking a post and the crossbar.

The rumour mill continues to link Hughes with a move away from the club, but Sheridan is keen to keep his leading marksman at Boundary Park.

"I've heard people say that Deano has come in to replace Hughesy and there's absolutely no way that's true," he explained.

"I want Hughesy at this club and I want all my best players at this club.

"People look at Deano and Hughesy and see two goalscorers who have played at the highest level.

"I hope they will cause teams a lot of problems and help out the players around them.

"Deano's all about his awareness and touch, and he made us look better in possession on Monday because we kept the ball in the opposition's half for longer periods.

"They are both excellent players and I am sure they will form agood partnership."

DEANO NOT HUGHES REPLACEMENT - SHEZ

Posted on: Fri 16 Jan 2009

Manager John Sheridan has slammed suggestions that striker Dean Windass has been signed to replace 14-goal top scorer Lee Hughes.

Hughes, 32, has been a vital part of Athletic's armoury this morning and scored again in the 2-1 win over Hartlepool at Boundary Park.

Meanwhile 39-year-old Windass made an encouraging debut and was unlucky not to score, striking a post and the crossbar.

The rumour mill continues to link Hughes with a move away from the club, but Sheridan is keen to keep his leading marksman at Boundary Park.

"I've heard people say that Deano has come in to replace Hughesy and there's absolutely no way that's true," he explained.

"I want Hughesy at this club and I want all my best players at this club.

"People look at Deano and Hughesy and see two goalscorers who have played at the highest level.

"I hope they will cause teams a lot of problems and help out the players around them.

"Deano's all about his awareness and touch, and he made us look better in possession on Monday because we kept the ball in the opposition's half for longer periods.

"They are both excellent players and I am sure they will form agood partnership."

Does that mean he did well this morning in training?

Well done Shez in making the statement.

I'm usually a good judge of situations and I don't think Hughes is leaving in January. Saying that I don't think he'll sign either and if I'm openly honest I'd rather keep Hughes for the last part of the season than take 400k now . We need to take this opportunity to get promoted, it's our best chance in ages, given the fact that we're pretty much certs for a playoff position (I'm not being presuming but I think we'll easily get enough points to at least finish 6th! Our second half of season in 06/07 was shocking and we still scraped 6th, we've got too much depth for us to encounter the same problems again) and if we do make the playoffs I put us as favourites over any team in this division (other than Leicester) in a two legged game and a one off match at a neutral ground (our record against the top teams speak for itself). Hughes is a big part of that and I don't think we've seen the best of Oldham yet, I'm so confident about our second half of the season. 2nd is ours to lose as far as I'm concerned, forget a 5 point gap against MkDonalds, that'll be down to a maximum of 1 point within 3 games. We're the second best team in this division.

Also, I don't know Hughes, only from what I've gathered from interviews, but I think the only think stopping him signing that new deal is the level of football we are playing at. If we get promoted, he signs, he said himself he wants to play for Oldham in The Championship.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

i dont think there is much chance of him going.

Not many clubs would pay over 200-300k for a 32 year old and offer him a 2 year or a 1 year deal better than a 2 year deal with us.

Hes getting on abit, hes guaranteed 2 years on good money at a club that love him, where he is a big fish in a small pond and there is a good chance he will be in the championship with us next season.

Is he really going to sign a 1 year deal with a mid/lower table championship side where his success and heroship is not quaranteed????

Unless someone offers him a 2 year deal for more money who are quaranteed to be in the championship then he wont leave.

I cant see hughes staying until the end of the season unless he signs the contract.

He is earning £80k year which wont change until he signs.

He also runs the risk of getting injured and then he will be left with nothing if it was long term.

I think he will have to decide quickly to sign or go assuming that he has received any offers , which i would think the club would have to be informed first and they are denying any approach ?

I would rather keep him than cash in because ultimately he is the difference between having a chance of promotion or not.

£300 - 400K is nothing compared to that.