New Signings ?

were all sounding very glum talking about who we are going to sell so lets talk about who we would like to bring in

obviously .. be realistic .. dont want people askin Mr Scolari if he would think about a swap deal for joe cole with Deano .. be serious hah.

mcgugan .. not playing much

danny jones back in .. gives us balance

and if shez thinks were in need of cover at the back .. Neal Trotman ?? just back from injury .. Loan

andy carrol from the geordies .. good young lad

haha did not think that about jones

we deffo need someone in that mould tho

lomax has been brilliant this year coz of his consistancy .. left back in him over to right back .. eardley in unpredictable

and you are correct .. need someone in their with the rat .. mcgugan?

We need

- a Richie Wellens/Killkenny type of midfielder someone who can take command in the centre of the park

This one has intrigued me for a couple of years.

(1) Wellens is so creative that Doncaster are staring relegation in the face (good player, but not the be all and end all)

(2) Kilkenny is so creative that Leeds fans are starting to dislike him

(3) Kilkenny was so creative at BP that our form improved significantly after he left

(4) Whitaker has a great deal of creativity in him, but leaves holes defensively

(5) Allott takes command in the centre of the park, yet we seem to get over-run too easily

(6) Maher looks impressive when selected, but a 10 goal a season midfielder he isn't

I still think a lot of the answer to the midfield "problem" and "creativity" lies in the work rate of those selected. Our choice of personnel is actually quite strong.

This one has intrigued me for a couple of years.

(1) Wellens is so creative that Doncaster are staring relegation in the face (good player, but not the be all and end all)

(2) Kilkenny is so creative that Leeds fans are starting to dislike him

(3) Kilkenny was so creative at BP that our form improved significantly after he left

(4) Whitaker has a great deal of creativity in him, but leaves holes defensively

(5) Allott takes command in the centre of the park, yet we seem to get over-run too easily

(6) Maher looks impressive when selected, but a 10 goal a season midfielder he isn't

I still think a lot of the answer to the midfield "problem" and "creativity" lies in the work rate of those selected. Our choice of personnel is actually quite strong.

Look back to the "pinch me" seasons and we had Milligan and Henry in midfield with Tricky Ricky and Neil Adams out wide. When interviewed, Nick Henry said "My job is to get the ball and give it to the wingers".

Creativity problem - SOLVED.

Look back to the "pinch me" seasons and we had Milligan and Henry in midfield with Tricky Ricky and Neil Adams out wide. When interviewed, Nick Henry said "My job is to get the ball and give it to the wingers".

Creativity problem - SOLVED.

Wasn't living in the area at the time, but in games where we've seemed reluctant to give the ball to Taylor we do seem to have created less!

Sometimes the simple explanation is the right one.

yes but teams are begining to single taylor out

have you noticed that since PAPER talk linked him with all these clubs .. his affectivness has declined

not because of his own performnce .. because teams single him out and double up

we cannot rely on him only

also i never thought of the midfield 'problem' in that way..maybe we dont need anyone

also never mind ogrady hughes davies and taylor .. arron chalmers is the clubs biggest loss this year ..

yes but teams are begining to single taylor out

They have been doing for 2 seasons.

have you noticed that since PAPER talk linked him with all these clubs .. his affectivness has declined

not because of his own performnce .. because teams single him out and double up

More because we've given him the ball a lot less

we cannot rely on him only

Spot on

also i never thought of the midfield 'problem' in that way..maybe we dont need anyone

That's one the manager is showing little sign of solving though - which worries me

also never mind ogrady hughes davies and taylor .. arron chalmers is the clubs biggest loss this year ..

Now you're being silly

I always thought creative football comes from giving t good wide players. All the best football Ive ever seen comes from out wide.

Thinking about some of the Latics goals this season ... yup.

The winner v Walsall leaps to mind as being particularly classy, but very few goals come from hoofing it through the middle, but Taylor/Liddell have delivered an awful lot of assists as has Daniel Jones in his relatively short stay.

LA cross to Hughes at Crewe.

All the goals we've scored from corners.

Wide is the way forward!

Edited by opinions4u

got to disagree if you rely on your wingers too much you become too predictable which has been the problem in recent home games. Football has moved on from 1990, the best teams are the ones who mix the play, like the team we had under Dowie

Agree and disagree. Fergie still plays with wide players. Scunny walked this league playing with wingers, so did Swansea - the only difference, they had the option of a big lump and played players in the correct positions. Unlike other teams, who accomodate their chums at all costs.

Agree and disagree. Fergie still plays with wide players. Scunny walked this league playing with wingers, so did Swansea - the only difference, they had the option of a big lump and played players in the correct positions. Unlike other teams, who accomodate their chums at all costs.

I'm not saying dont use them, but when you rely on wingers too much then you become too predictable for the opposition

Why do so many tics fans expect a 100% success rate with signings its not realistic. Would like to see Stephens, Lee more involved than signing some old timer.

Have a look at the list of players used when we won the 2nd division, we had plenty of poor signings especially loan signings.

i think we need another porter type of striker if hughes goes

he was lazy and got stick of the fans at times

but he scored week in week out

davies would be involved a lot if hughes leaves

i rate davies a good player but he doesnt do his job to the potential he could

he involves himself to much

hell come back to the centre of the pitch and reccieve the ball leaving us low on

power up front when the ball comes into the box...

trotman back would be great for us

it would give us a very good defence

Shez says he wants 3 players in, so not rocket science to conclude hes being told to get JP, Thompson and others off the wage bill. Even saving a months wages for O'Grady is a saving when moneys tight. He can't be recalled before 28 days have passed suspect he would have remained at Bury if they had wanted to keep him so 24 hour clause would have kicked in.

Still suspect Ian Breckin might be in frame as age matches 500+ games matches experience.

Trotters back on loan would be better.

Suspect Byfield will sign IF terms can be agreed, to suit. Can't understand why so many on the lads back, was Brizzles leading scorer last year, not many but enough at a higher level.

Cover for keeper a must with norm out so long. Who not a clue?

Why do so many tics fans expect a 100% success rate with signings its not realistic. Would like to see Stephens, Lee more involved than signing some old timer.

+1

Davies has the ability to do very well at this level, the fact that he has started scoring for Stockport shows that maybe the lad just needed a bit of confidence. The same with Byfield, he is a proven goal scorer at this level and with a few games and a bit of confidence he will start firing them in.

I’m surprised at the selection of both allot and mayer in midfield, for me they are both too defensive minded especially for a home game. Whitaker at the start of the season looked impressive, with a few nice goals as well. The need for a creative central midfielder is needed but I think mcgugan from forest is unrealistic as the lad started their last 2 games and has just come back from injury. I think the shez can see this and will look for a loane.

Jones is needed at left back as the balance with him and Taylor down the wing is fantastic, but I would like to see smalley get a run at right midfield as he is a lad with general pace and would offer a different option. Also may lee in the centre of midfield as against he seemed to roam from the right wing inside a little on sunday.

i'd be suprised if shes does not try the trotman loan before any other , not sure if preston will let though.

Killkenny was a nasty piece of work who bollocked every player because he thought he was better. And lets not 4get how quick he was to move when the leeds pound came knocking. Better without if you ask me.

i think even if hughes goes we have sufficiant cover with davies, allessandra,ogrady, byfield, and even liddle smalley or if we are really desp wolfenden. Dont think we need to spend money there.

Center mid a priority and maybe right mid , weres crofty these days.

i can only see us making the byfield loan pernament unless hughes goes so i wouldnt expect another striker coming in. definitly a keeper and a defender either a left back or centre half or maybe a player who can cover both? hopefully a midfeilder aswell but im not sure if he wil do.

As for a keeper i would expect a young keeper from a prem/championship team. breckin is a good shout for the defence but i would assume a deal would have to be done with forest because i cant see him being on peanuts.

I cant really think of any midfeilders who would improve us or give us something different that we could realistically afford. hopefully we will come accross another young gem who is waiting for the breakthrough like kilkenny (1st time round)