Ian Greaves

sad news that , ian greaves was like jimmy frizzell , managed a club with not much money to spend on players ,but all ways found good players ,i met him a couple of times in the past , sad loss for bolton fans and all football fans .. rest in peace

A successful Town manager from the late 60's early 70's and I believe an Oldham born lad/former player his died today. Hope the club can arrange something in time so that both sets of supporters can show there respects.

That's right, Ian Greaves was born in Shaw on 26th May 1932 and played at full-back for Latics 22 times between 1961 and 1963.

He played for United in the 1958 Cup Final, but would probably not have played if, three months earlier, eight members of the "Busby Babes" had not lost their lives at Munich.

Managed 'uddersfield to the Second Division Championship in the 1969-70 season.

A tribute tomorrow would be appropriate.

R.I.P. Ian.

This bloke was Bolton boss when they had that title winning season in the late 70's, Didn't we sign Stevie Taylor from Bolton?

Indeed we did,Greaves had Sam Allardyce,Frank Worthington, Alan Gowling and a young Peter Reid in his side round that time, I always hated Bolton round then but my Dad wouldnt let me say a bad word about Ian Greaves as he was held in very high esteem with my Dad and Mates from the Shaw and Royton Area, Local Lad done Good.

Think he was a fair Cricketer,played for Crompton if I remember rightly.

R.I.P.

Ian Greaves was my dad's best mate when they were lads. Went to school together, played football and cricket together. And my gran used to feed him!! I found it hard to dislike Bolton (in fact I quite liked them) when he was boss.

Hopefully Huddersfield and Latics will do something to remember him today.

RIP.