hughes -- bothered?

why is everyone so concerned?

i think that allesandra and davies would be a perfect combo if CD can add work rate to his game

lewis' technique and intelligence would create so many chances when davies' pace is running in behind?

what do you all think ...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is everyone so concerned?

i think that allesandra and davies would be a perfect combo if CD can add work rate to his game

lewis' technique and intelligence would create so many chances when davies' pace is running in behind?

what do you all think ...

Hughes is a proven goal scorer. They are very few and far between, and when you are lucky enough to have one, he has to be kept if at all possible.

Not totally disregarding your post, but Hughes is the best striker we've had here since Andy Ritchie!!

Cope - of course we would,

Miss him - of course we would

Better off without him - doubt it

bothered? - disappointed yes, but just another player who will have come and go.

But he's not gone anywhere Yet? :wink:

Best since andy ritchie??

he gives 10-15 free kicks away every game

hes offside 24-7

better than a fit clyde??

better goalscorer than porter??

nah....but we love him

still .... i think lewi and davies would be the best PARTNERSHIP .... Hughseys the best striker despite this

We have to do what ever we can to keep him as has been said he is by far the best striker we have.

But there is a limit to how far we can go. It would be a massive blow but we do have some other forwards at this club who are not too shabby themselves. and im sure we would try and replace him by using the money we would get for him.

but at the moment it hasnt happened so no need to worry......yet!

We have to do what ever we can to keep him as has been said he is by far the best striker we have.

But there is a limit to how far we can go. It would be a massive blow but we do have some other forwards at this club who are not too shabby themselves. and im sure we would try and replace him by using the money we would get for him.

but at the moment it hasnt happened so no need to worry......yet!

I thought you were spending time with your fiance tonight.

Don't tell me she is watching Celebrity Big Brother.

Cheers,

Harry

hes offside 24-7

Yes he is offside alot but that's because he gambles on the ball being played. The number he's scored this season ain'tr bad for someone who's apparently offside 24/7

better than a fit clyde??

How often was Clyde ever fully fit. Debateable anyway who is the better of the 2, but Hughes is far more productive because he's on the pitch and fit most of the time.

better goalscorer than porter??

Yes! If Porter had been a great goalscorer he would have got double what he did in that season. Missed hatfuls of sitters! Great at finding the right positions but compare his finishing to that of Hughes and it's no contest.

Edited by LeylandLatic

Best since andy ritchie?? YES

he gives 10-15 free kicks away every game 3-7 maybe

hes offside 24-7 DOUBT IT!

better than a fit clyde?? WON'T KNOW, IF CLYDE WAS NEVER FIT! JUDGE ON WHAT IS SEEN!

better goalscorer than porter?? YES - AND WORKS A DAMN SIGHT HARDER FOR THE TEAM

nah....but we love him I DON'T!

still .... i think lewi and davies would be the best PARTNERSHIP .... Hughseys the best striker despite this

And anyway, if you want to begin a topic asking for their thoughts, can i suggest that you're probably in for a really busy night if you are going to disagree/differ and respond back to them.

Generally 'what do you think' would suggest you want other people' opinions as you had just given yours - You're no Michael Parkinson.

dont know weather its been asked , but why did the club wait until just before the window to offer him a contract? couldnt we have offered it a month or 2 ago?

bothered if he leaves? i will still be here watching latics with everyone else either way.....life goes on

Have some respect, he's the greatest Latics player of the last 10 years.

Yeah to some, I can think of probably at least 10 more influential players over the last ten years.

Define greatest....one who is great? He's a lot of things, but great??? Only in his own lunch hour.

Sign the deal or jog on Lee. Can't but help think there isn't a cat in hell's chance of him signing. Offers been on the table 6 days now, pen run out has it? Has it balls.............Do the right thing Lee decide either way and let us all get on with it, me to be wholly indifferent and your fan club to grieve for 40 days and 40 nights at losing their 'messiah'.

one of the best from the last ten years??

eyres shez dux fitz clint hill chris armstrong wellens kilkenny (tosser)

hes produced for 6 months and hes on of the best in the last 10 years... not for me

not one of them players that you posted is a striker so it is hard to compare. and he's pretty muched produced since he opened his account at bournmouth.

Imo he is definitly the best striker i have seen in recent times as he has so much to his game that 99% of players at this level dont have. and thats why it would be a blow because we wouldnt only loose his goals. but like i said it wouldnt be the end for us.

dont know weather its been asked , but why did the club wait until just before the window to offer him a contract? couldnt we have offered it a month or 2 ago?

bothered if he leaves? i will still be here watching latics with everyone else either way.....life goes on

BUT WHY? We dug him out of the :censored:, and he has 6 months to run on the deal we have given him and the fact we got less than a third of a season out of him last time around. If he wants to go sod him! People are getting too carried away with Hughes' perceived impact. One of our best performances of the season was at Tranmere, where shock horror! He didn't play. We were superb without him in most of the second half of last season at home, again without him. I just want to put this whole sorry episode to bed, never been comfortable with a coward being hero worshipped by the club I love.

one of the best from the last ten years??

eyres shez dux fitz clint hill chris armstrong wellens kilkenny (tosser)

hes produced for 6 months and hes on of the best in the last 10 years... not for me

I think you might find that Senor may have been a tad sarcastic there! It's sometimes in his nature. :wink:

though my initial response suggested Hughes was the best STRIKER! - No mention of best PLAYER

And unless my memory of those players you have mentioned, has disappeared, none of them were strikers.

I think you might find that Senor may have been a tad sarcastic there! It's sometimes in his nature. :wink:

though my initial response suggested Hughes was the best STRIKER! - No mention of best PLAYER

And unless my memory of those players you have mentioned, has disappeared, none of them were strikers.

Beckett was a better finisher imo.

BUT WHY? We dug him out of the :censored:, and he has 6 months to run on the deal we have given him and the fact we got less than a third of a season out of him last time around. If he wants to go sod him! People are getting too carried away with Hughes' perceived impact. One of our best performances of the season was at Tranmere, where shock horror! He didn't play. We were superb without him in most of the second half of last season at home, again without him. I just want to put this whole sorry episode to bed, never been comfortable with a coward being hero worshipped by the club I love.

i agree to a certain point prozac, what i mean is if the club really wanted to keep him surley this would have already been sorted and we wouldnt have thread after thread on the subject, he is a very good player but we are a team - 11 men afterall,

as dolth lundren nearley said in rocky 4 " if he goes , he goes!"

Beckett was a better finisher imo.

I think Beckett with that bit of extra pace, early on in his career, could have been a very similar player to Hughes and may have even had the opportunities that Hughes decided to....well we know that bit.

I liked Beckett and agree he was a quality striker/finisher - I just believe that when he was here, he had just started on the slow, downward slope to retirement and due to his previous injuries we never saw the best of him

I guess that's why i would pick Hughes as i think pound for pound, he's a bit more to offer (hopefully us!)

Yeah to some, I can think of probably at least 10 more influential players over the last ten years.

Define greatest....one who is great? He's a lot of things, but great??? Only in his own lunch hour.

Sign the deal or jog on Lee. Can't but help think there isn't a cat in hell's chance of him signing. Offers been on the table 6 days now, pen run out has it? Has it balls.............Do the right thing Lee decide either way and let us all get on with it, me to be wholly indifferent and your fan club to grieve for 40 days and 40 nights at losing their 'messiah'.

LH has never been and never will be the be all and end all at Oldham Athletic Football Club.

A good player at this level - yes

A good goalscorer at this level - certainly.

A player who we will miss if he is sold - maybe if we do not sign a replacement or one of the others doesn't step up to the plate.

This is his second season with the club. How many times did he play last season?

The fact is his absence last season for the majority of the time and CD's injury in early February did not stop us rising up the league to finish 8th with basically a team of kids and loanees. In other words other players stepped up to the plate.

I don't want him to leave, most fans don't want him to leave, Shez doesn't want him to leave and TTA don't want him to leave. However, that is no guarantee , but if he does life moves on and we have to trust that the club will replace him. TTA have shown thus far that they will back the manager and we have to believe that they will allow Shez to bring in a replacement if it does happen.

However, the fact that they have let O'Grady go out on loan, the fact that Hughes has asked for time to consider the contract offer and the fact that to date there has only been talk and speculation and clearly no offers gives me confidence that Hughes will still be here at the end of January. Will he still be here on the 3rd February? Who knows?

Cheers,

Harry