hughes -- bothered?

i support oldham athletic as a TEAM.

no player is bigger than the club.

ce la vie.

So do i Johnny as you know and I agree that no player is bigger.

However as I have posted somewhere else i think :blink: i'd be disappointed if he left-of course, but i also know that it would just be YET another player to go in and out of Sheepfoot Lanes revolving door

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LH has never been and never will be the be all and end all at Oldham Athletic Football Club.

A good player at this level - yes

A good goalscorer at this level - certainly.

A player who we will miss if he is sold - maybe if we do not sign a replacement or one of the others doesn't step up to the plate.

This is his second season with the club. How many times did he play last season?

The fact is his absence last season for the majority of the time and CD's injury in early February did not stop us rising up the league to finish 8th with basically a team of kids and loanees. In other words other players stepped up to the plate.

I don't want him to leave, most fans don't want him to leave, Shez doesn't want him to leave and TTA don't want him to leave. However, that is no guarantee , but if he does life moves on and we have to trust that the club will replace him. TTA have shown thus far that they will back the manager and we have to believe that they will allow Shez to bring in a replacement if it does happen.

However, the fact that they have let O'Grady go out on loan, the fact that Hughes has asked for time to consider the contract offer and the fact that to date there has only been talk and speculation and clearly no offers gives me confidence that Hughes will still be here at the end of January. Will he still be here on the 3rd February? Who knows?

Cheers,

Harry

Succintly put Harry, only disagree with the time to consider the contract offer. I don't think he is seriously considering our offer, he knows better will be offered elsewhere and he's waiting to see what other offers are out there, and I for one think it's nailed on he'll string us along throughout January before going right at the end giving us little time to bring in a replacement. 6 days is long enough to consider a job offer.

why is everyone so concerned?

i think that allesandra and davies would be a perfect combo if CD can add work rate to his game

lewis' technique and intelligence would create so many chances when davies' pace is running in behind?

what do you all think ...

I think the concern regards losing a forward with a very good goal-scoring record - yes it could be replaced potentially, but still we don't want to lose him if we don't have to.

Secondly I think Lee Hughes plays the game with a smile on his face, and produces some 'antics' at times which adds to the entertainment / enjoyment of watching the game. Characters are few and far between - and Lee is one of them. Yes he is frustrating at times with the seemingly stupid bookings / off-side a lot - but I still have enjoyed watching him in a shirt.

Bothered? Short-term = yes. But if he goes he'll just join the long list of other players to have once pull on the blue of Oldham, so medium/long term = no.

I just hope that he doesn't leave for another League One side. I think everyone will accept him moving on to a Champiosnhip side for more money / better football, but if he goes sideways for money then he'll be another ex-Latics player than fans will abuse when we see him again (sigh - like we'd all turn down payrises for a company we'd worked 18 months for...).

Succintly put Harry, only disagree with the time to consider the contract offer. I don't think he is seriously considering our offer, he knows better will be offered elsewhere and he's waiting to see what other offers are out there, and I for one think it's nailed on he'll string us along throughout January before going right at the end giving us little time to bring in a replacement. 6 days is long enough to consider a job offer.

Point taken mate.

However on that point, I trust that there are people within the club who have a better idea of what is actually happening than those of us out here on message boards and are addressing the situation as/if it develops.

A further point to consider is that he can only string us along and leave at the end of the month if a club meets the buy out clause or meets our asking price. So it is not solely in his hands. TTA are stubborn enough not to let it happen if they believe they are being messed around and the full figure in the release clause has not been met.

Also how many times do you hear players saying that it takes time to sort a new contract out when it is a renewal or extended contract yet a player can "move" within 24/48 hours if he wants to. I think it is almost irrelevant that he has had his contract a full 6 days. I personally believe that he will only leave this month if a team comes in from the Championship who can virtually guarantee being in the Championship next season, because thats where the money will be in any contract he signs. Most clubs, especially those that can yo-yo between the leagues have clauses in stating 1 wage level in 1 league and another level in a different league. Therefore rule out Doncaster and possibly rule out him re-signing for us unless the new contract has a release clause in allowing him to move in the summer if we do not get promoted.

Cheers,

Harry

We've had some great strikers down the years and Hughes is right up there with the best of em but hey this guy was once the best target man outside the Premier:censored:,

Now let me see...........what Strikers come to mind :unsure:

Vic Halom...........................Cracking no nonsense goal getter

Simon Stainrod......................pure class! a true Flair player

Rodger Wylde..........................always liked this exciting forward

Ooooooooooooow Roger Palmer...............................What can I say???

Graeme Sharp..........................Always goals with this fella

Andy Ritchie.................................Sat behind me at the Apollo with his then team mate Gary Bailey when Numan was on, For me the best ever!

On the other side of the coin, What strikers do you remember that couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo?

I'll start the ball rolling with Ian Olney or should that be Olmondroyd (or both!)

On the other side of the coin, What strikers do you remember that couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo?

I'll start the ball rolling with Ian Olney or should that be Olmondroyd (or both!)

nicky banger, jermaine johnson

got people on the edge of there seats, and then had them tearing their hair out with the most woeful finishing ever

nicky banger, jermaine johnson

got people on the edge of there seats, and then had them tearing their hair out with the most woeful finishing ever

Forgot about Banger (southampton lightweight?) yes he was like that but so was that tall Scot in the 70's Alan Young :lol: blimey some of the sitters he missed

dont know weather its been asked , but why did the club wait until just before the window to offer him a contract? couldnt we have offered it a month or 2 ago?

I guess when the news about the release clause was circulated by his agent the club didn't want to be seen as ambitionless by not talking about a new offer. Even if they don't think he'll take it they had to be seen to offer a new deal - and in fact it's been publicised as the biggest one ever.....

I don't think LH will string us along until the end of Jan - just until the offer comes along. The 6 days bit is right - he couldn't just say 'no' could he?

I'm sure he's very interested in our offer. But let's face it, a Championship club can easily offer twice the wage we can. If he goes (which I wouldn't blame him for), and OAFC get £400k, or even £250k, it will be VERY good business for a player who came for nothing, and hasn't been on the biggest wage ever.

Saying that, I hope he stays. And that he plays for us in the Championship next year.

Let's trust in TTA and Shez to know what they're doing. We can't influence it anyway - we'll get what we're given. So try to stay positive! :lol:

hes offside 24-7

Yes he is offside alot but that's because he gambles on the ball being played. The number he's scored this season ain'tr bad for someone who's apparently offside 24/7

i totally agree with what you have said there, and this is no personal dig, but some people used to slate porter for doing the exact same thing and it annoys me that some players get slated or praised for doing the same things...e.g. lomax and eardley this season. Lomax gets clapped for doing things that Eardley gets ripped to shreds for!!

BUT WHY? We dug him out of the :censored:, and he has 6 months to run on the deal we have given him and the fact we got less than a third of a season out of him last time around. If he wants to go sod him! People are getting too carried away with Hughes' perceived impact. One of our best performances of the season was at Tranmere, where shock horror! He didn't play. We were superb without him in most of the second half of last season at home, again without him. I just want to put this whole sorry episode to bed, never been comfortable with a coward being hero worshipped by the club I love.

I usually look out for your posts Prozac, because you're one of the few posters I enjoy reading posts by. Great knowledge of days of yore, same age as me, passionate and well articulated with an angle of humour. Ace stuff. But you have a huge chip on your shoulder with Hughes at the club, and a huge overtone of bitterness in every syllable seemingly. It's just a bit dismaying really. I'm not saying you're wrong or right in that stance, but its depressing to read from someone I hold in so much regard for. Do we really need to get bogged down in reputation?

Technically, I've not seen a striker as good as Hughes since probably Ritchie, or even Sharp. His movement in the box and the deft touch he usually has to guide a ball into the back of a net when for nigh on 15 years I've seen many a striker lash out and thump the ball agonisingly off target. Sometimes you have to put his past aside and simply admire the skill he has to do that. No-one can ever play down the disgustingly cowardly actions he displayed which put him out of football, but as a sheer football fan aside, I just interpret being able to watch that, in front of me, playing for the team I support, as pretty joyful (I've really tried to think of a better descriptive, but I'm struggling) and appreciate it.

He's hero worshipped, but he's bound to be hero worshipped because fans in general are misguided enough to not take into account what he's done in the past but do it just because he's [in]famous. He's a character on the pitch and someone you find yourself absorbed with when watching him play. You can see the more abuse he gets from fans feeds him. He genuinely wants a crack at the highest level he can play at before his career ends, which is the Championship and the only team so far to make it clear they want him is Doncaster, who clearly don't fancy the £400k asking price for him. I don't have an issue with him wanting that, and he's a month to assess his options but maybe he's hesitant about signing for a team who'll most likely end up back in this division again next season? Lets be honest, and really honest... you can't help thinking if he does sign for someone else then there is serious doubts we can fill the gap and replace him.

It's a really tough quandary. We've put our cards on the table and shown how much we want him. We're simply hoping in an industry clearly known for a lack of loyalty, he'll repay us by signing a longer deal, though I'm not holding my hopes out for it. I just appreciate seeing a good striker in an Oldham shirt, even if there's dubious circumstances surrounding it.

1) We won't find a better finisher to replace him

2) We won't find a player better at anticipating mistakes by defenders

3) We'll struggle to find a player who looks to entertain the crowd as much when he doesn't have the ball

4) We're more likely to go up with him than without him.

I want him to stay.

I understand when Latics agreed his original contract they put a price tag of £400k on his loyalty, so I don't accept "he owes us".

I'm not sure Doncaster could afford to pay him significantly more than his new offer. But I don't know that.

If playing in the Championship means more to him than money, Oldham may be a better bet than Doncaster next season. So he could choose to stay until May and then go on a free if Latics don't go up. Or he could go to another club prepared to offer a decent wage and meet the £400k clause.

If he does go, we're a worse team for it.

But we have other players who may well take the opportunities it creates. Although the Davies/Alessandra partnership was slow to develop last season, it was beginning to look tasty before Davies got injured.

There's still more than enough quality on the playing side to fill the gap. It will mean we're a different line up. But we will still win some, lose some and draw some.

If you ever read what's written on here Lee, it's clear that the overwhelming majority want you to stay, and it's clear you are more or less guaranteed first team foorball.

If you leave, you have to win over a new set of fans, and may not get the chance to do so if you're sat on the bench for a Championship side or if you're running out for a reserve team.

Sign the contract in the next few days and do what you do best - score the goals that take Latics to promotion and be remembered in the future as a hero. Not as somebody with a past.

Edited by opinions4u

who cares i wonder how many people would suck him off if they could make him stay, whilst recognising he is important and i want to keep him i dont want players who think there better than us and are just after money but we will see if he stays fair play but i for 1 wont cry over it

this situation at the moment reminds me of when simon stainrod left for QPR.

ok,slightly different in some respects,because one morning ,i went to school and he was a latics player.

i got home and he was a QPR player.

i was gutted...so was virtually every latics fan.

the fact he went for peanuts didn't help either.

but a week later he was,in effect,forgotten.rodger wylde was the new cult hero and he didn't let the masses down did he?

all i'm saying is this situation happens regular in a latics fans lifetime-us older ones have seen it many times...thats why many older ones here are pretty much not getting hot up about it if he does leave,it wasn't a shock,if he stays,excellent!

its all about the trials of being a football fan.

us latics fans have it in larger doses than others...

so...lets enjoy the moment!

:chubb:

Edited by johnny punkster

this situation at the moment reminds me of when simon stainrod left for QPR.

ok,slightly different in some respects,because one morning ,i went to school and he was a latics player.

i got home and he was a QPR player.

i was gutted...so was virtually every latics fan.

the fact he went for peanuts didn't help either.

but a week later he was,in effect,forgotten.rodger wylde was the new cult hero and he didn't let the masses down did he?

all i'm saying is this situation happens regular in a latics fans lifetime-us older ones have seen it many times...thats why many older ones here are pretty much not getting hot up about it if he does leave,it wasn't a shock,if he stays,excellent!

its all about the trials of being a football fan.

us latics fans have it in larger doses than others...

so...lets enjoy the moment!

:chubb:

Here Here agree

Its not just the older ones unless you class turning 26 in two weeks old. It just requires abit of percepective

Ironically we don't have to go that far back for a comparison. Summer of 2006 the previous season Luke Beckett had got us close to the play offs pretty much on his own we offered a deal Hudders offered a deal he went over t hill as hudders threw all their eggs in one bakett. The following season shez got us to the play offs and chris porter came in and out scored Beckett. The season after Porter left Hughes came in if Hughes goes we will move on and find someonelse perhaps a rejuvinated Craig Davies can come in and fulfill the potential we all know he posseses?

exactly!

its always happened-waaaay before stainrod(i remember the alan young transfer,but that was really bad because he just walked out on latics, sticking 2 fingers up on his way out -he got some heavy s**t from the chaddy big time on his visits after that..

and it always will...part of being a latics fan eh!

great point made before .. we gave this lad a chance and what he given us back??

3 months of fitness last year with not an increadible amount of goals

upto now half a season this year witha couple of small injuries and SOME goals..we are talking about him as a top class goalscorer...incomparison to who?

players in our league who have bagged more this year --> fryatt beckford lambert hooper mackail-smith cox and porter

and IF he does sign .. i bet he will be earning more than the lot of em ??

i just cant see why every1 is so concerned .. £400k .. we cud bring some1 better in for that money

great point made before .. we gave this lad a chance and what he given us back??

3 months of fitness last year with not an increadible amount of goals

upto now half a season this year witha couple of small injuries and SOME goals..we are talking about him as a top class goalscorer...incomparison to who?

players in our league who have bagged more this year --> fryatt beckford lambert hooper mackail-smith cox and porter

and IF he does sign .. i bet he will be earning more than the lot of em ??

i just cant see why every1 is so concerned .. £400k .. we cud bring some1 better in for that money

What I've been saying all week mate! People say Hughes owes us nothing. IMO he owes us to stay until the end of the season, he's seen out his contract then and is free to do what he wants. Yes we'll have a better chance of promotion with him in the team but without him we we'll be far from dead and buried.

Who?

who do you know of for £400k, that will come in and given 20+ games, will get us a dozen or so goals.

nobody!!!

i may be proved wrong,but there aint a lot out there who are as technically aware as what hughes is.....it isnt just his goals,its his timing of runs,his positioning,the ability to turn a defender with instant control and lay it off to someone else in a better position...

im not saying he is the best striker since sliced bread,but if people cant honestly see he is the best striker in this division then they dont know a great deal about football and footballers...

i would expect him to honour his deal and stay until the end of the season,i couldnt care if he walks away then for nothing,his goals will have got us promoted and we could take our pick so to speak of decent finishers out there then.

you could have said that when beckett left ... porter?

all of the lads i named before who have scored more than hughsey wer signed for less than that

mackail smith came from non league

trust me ... it would be far from the end of the world if he left

nobody!!!

im not saying he is the best striker since sliced bread,but if people cant honestly see he is the best striker in this division then they dont know a great deal about football and footballers...

i would expect him to honour his deal and stay until the end of the season,i couldnt care if he walks away then for nothing,his goals will have got us promoted and we could take our pick so to speak of decent finishers out there then.

Correctomondo