Positives from yesterday

Well, just the one. I think Shez is one step closer the door.

A pathetic and embarrassing performance AGAIN from a promotion chasing team. Take the win at managerless and bottom of the league Crewe out and we've been pi$$ poor for weeks and weeks.

How many consecutive passes?

How many chances?

How many times did play make you get out of your seat?

I'm sorry but Shez is looking more and more clueless with every single game. What was Whitts doing on the right? Was he on the right? Three central midfielders?! One step forward, three steps back Shez. Then...again...Lidds on ahead of Deano. Oh to be a pal of Shez. Not even going to mention Byfield.

Shez challenged Orient to play footy. They did. Better than us. Shez asked us to raise the roof. We did.

If only he did things I asked.

E4e

JSOUT

Hmm .. i`d hardly call it an embarassing and pathetic performance tbh. We were playing a very strong and well organised side, who are on a great run at the minute and are looking revitalised. They were at us and didnt let us get it down .... we werent the best but i do think you a somewhat over-reacting.

As for chances, we had a couple of decent chances. 2 great opportunities from free kicks wasted at the death, a Taylor header from a corner at 1-0 which he should have buried, and a Hughes chance at 1-1 which he blazed over the bar.

As i said, it`s a tough place to go to, everyone would have taken a point at 3pm ... and that`s what weve got. Yep, i`ll admit he got things wrong, i didnt see the logic in Whitts playing over Lee/Liddell/Smalley ... we did hoof it to much, but embarassing and pathetic .. dont think so pal, disapointing ye maybe.

Edited by kellys_discopants

A pathetic and embarrassing performance AGAIN from a promotion chasing team. Take the win at managerless and bottom of the league Crewe out and we've been pi$$ poor for weeks and weeks.

How many chances?

I'm sorry but Shez is looking more and more clueless with every single game. What was Whitts doing on the right? Was he on the right? Three central midfielders?! One step forward, three steps back Shez. Then...again...Lidds on ahead of Deano. Oh to be a pal of Shez. Not even going to mention Byfield.

Shez challenged Orient to play footy. They did. Better than us. Shez asked us to raise the roof. We did.

E4e

JSOUT

I think you will find there is no positives in there. I will give you a couple. We are in the play-offs which we will be in when all the other teams have played all there games in hand. We are now unbeaten in 9 league games. We still got a point even if we did not deserve it. I won't be worried unless we get knocked out of the play-off places.

How many chances?

E4e

JSOUT

Agree totally Nik, trouble is those that can't see the woods for the trees will be stunned when we drop like a stone throughout the rest of this month and next month. Mid-table beckons, why? Because the manager is a clueless fookwit. Ronnie Moore would've been burnt at the stake by now.

What must Maher, Lee and Smalley be thinking? He changed the midfield for a total of 160 mins before bringing back in the woefully inadequate Whittaker AND on the right at that. Then just to continually accomodate his anonymous mate he takes off Maher and moves slaphead inside!!!! UNfeckingbelievable. Then wooden legs Lidds gets a run out. And as for Byfield, what a useless irrelevant turd he is. How many shots has he had in the two months he's been here?

Still we're 5th aren't we, having played more games than anyone else. Same failings as we had two seasons ago. No plan B.

Hartlepool is a must win, just to regain a winning mentality. Yesterday might have been a point gained if we'd beaten Brighton, Orient or Carlisle.

KTF

CHUMS

Edited by oafcprozac

Nice one prozac.

Whitts is back now, watch him play ahead of Maher next game. Shez has been itching to throw him back in and now he's got his chance. But is it deserved and justified? Is it bollox. His Plan B is get his mates back in ahead of arguably more dangerous options on the bench.

I'd have taken a point at Hudds, no messing, but after witnessing yet another toothless performance that speaks louder than points for me. Agree, would have been easier to swallow had we done something against the three bobbins teams you've highlighted but we didn't.

In fact, Crewe aside, I defy anyone to tell me we've looked anything like a promotion chasing side recently. Have we cut teams apart, have we created chance after chance, have we just missed that killer final ball, have we been unlucky...no, no, no, not at all.

Don't need people to answer any of the above. I'll just look at our grip loosening on a play off spot and that's enough for me.

E4e

STONE

Funny how the Huddersfield lads on here, and other boards dont actually think we played that bad!

Under Clark there looking very good, and we knew it was going to be a tough game. I`ll say it again ... weve gone to a very touch place to go and claimed a point ... we didnt set the world alight granted, but weve come away with a point we didnt deserve, and i`m happy, i`ll take it. Play like that against Hartlepool (offensively), then ill be saying something different.

Edited by kellys_discopants

I think the key learning from yesterday is that there are sides below us who aren't bad.

In the context of the season the point at the Galpharm is a good result.

Huddersfield fans seem to have seen the way we play as rather good. Maybe they're just being nice.

Again we lost the midfield battle.

What's the plan to win the midfield battle in each and every game between now and season end?

Edited by opinions4u

We were lucky to get anything at all - they didn't really seem bothered IMO. We play Leicester in a months time, and if we play like we did yesterday we are going to get laughed out of the Walker's and I will have to go into hiding. We sung our hearts out for them, and the majority of the team didn't deserve to wear the shirt yesterday. I am not going to single people out, they were collectively poor and if they carry on playing like that we will drop out of the play off zone pretty damn quick. If I was the owner I would be questioning what the hell is going on - is it the players, team, manager, or what, we need to stop just keep getting draws. We cannot carry on like this, attendances are poor at BP and people will start to lose faith and stay away even more. If points had been awarded for how well the fans sung, we would have won 25-0, shame the players gave nothing back. The only ones who should have been paid yesterday should have been Gregan, Hazell, Fleming and Allott, and Davies.

Come on lads, get your arses into gear, Shez included. We KNOW this team can play, so lets see it.

What's the plan to win the midfield battle in each and every game between now and season end?

To accomodate Whitaker et al no matter what, despite there being far better footballers at the club and particularly on the bench. Shez's refusal to change his first choice 11 in 06/07 cost us auto. His downright awkwardness in the transfer market possibly cost us a play off place last season and his downright stubborness to not give other members of the squad a real opportunity this time round will see us fail again and him ultimately signing on.

To accomodate Whitaker et al no matter what, despite there being far better footballers at the club and particularly on the bench. Shez's refusal to change his first choice 11 in 06/07 cost us auto. His downright awkwardness in the transfer market possibly cost us a play off place last season and his downright stubborness to not give other members of the squad a real opportunity this time round will see us fail again and him ultimately signing on.

Hartlepool

Greg

Stam

Greegs

Rubes

Smalley

Allott

Maher

Lee

Taylor

Hughes

Davies

352, reverting to 532 when defending. Pace throughout, Lee to do the midfield running, allott to break things up, Maher to take care of the ball. Lets try something different. We have pace to burn in this squad lets use it. And lets face it our fullbacks are pisspoor anyway, so Deano and Taylor surely can't be anyworse in defending and give us far more going forward by playing as wingbacks.

Funny how the Huddersfield lads on here, and other boards dont actually think we played that bad!

Under Clark there looking very good, and we knew it was going to be a tough game. I`ll say it again ... weve gone to a very touch place to go and claimed a point ... we didnt set the world alight granted, but weve come away with a point we didnt deserve, and i`m happy, i`ll take it. Play like that against Hartlepool (offensively), then ill be saying something different.

Thing is.....when your own side are playing well (and Huddersfield completely outplayed us in every department yesterday)....you tend to be more magnanimous toward the opposition.

I don't agree with everything LATICNIK posts, but i'm right behind him on the substitutions and particularly the Liddle issue. Shez must have been the only person in BP who thought that Liddle would open up Carlisle any more than Keiron Lee. OK, take Lee off, but at least replace him with someone who might just hold a cutting edge. Instead we got Lidds, hugging the touchline right on halfway, no matter where play is and screwing up every pass he received. Surely but surely, after that inept 15 minutes we wouldn't see the same rank bad substitution decision again. So, next game, same :censored:. Shez is clueless or way too close and pally to Liddle.

Personally, i'm beginning to think it's a bit of both.

Hartlepool

Greg

Stam

Greegs

Rubes

Smalley

Allott

Maher

Lee

Taylor

Hughes

Davies

352, reverting to 532 when defending. Pace throughout, Lee to do the midfield running, allott to break things up, Maher to take care of the ball. Lets try something different. We have pace to burn in this squad lets use it. And lets face it our fullbacks are pisspoor anyway, so Deano and Taylor surely can't be anyworse in defending and give us far more going forward by playing as wingbacks.

I posted this on the motm thing. There is a need for change, I just fear Latics can't pull it off.

Considering our difficulties in midfield against Huddersfield at home, I thought sacrificing a wide man for Whitaker to bolster our middle 4 was a sound tactical decision by Shez. It didn't work though. There is a case for playing a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1. If we do, we have to absolutely make sure that the front 1 is not merely the recipient of hoof merchant service.

As for yesterday's game, here are my thoughts player by player.

FLEMING - Made some great saves, showed good positional sense and wanted to come and get it. Distribution has improved a little but still prone to the aimless punt down the middle.

EARDLEY - I though he was okay, but took my eye off him on their goal. He seemed in control of a situation and next thing they were clean through. Wtf happened?

LOMAX - sorry Kelvin, but you were woeful. Never looked like you could anticipate what was coming, even though it was obvious. Thank the lord that Hudds had no idea what to do with the ball once they'd got a cross in.

GREGAN - immense, but how many times should he have to mop up the mess made by others in a game. Only MOTM for me because of other people's failings. Did his job. And did it bloody well.

HAZELL - very similar to Gregan, although less to do because Eardley had a better game than Lomax.

WHITAKER - although I understood why he played, he didn't really deliver. Although I understand why Maher came off instead of Whitaker (more likely to score), Maher is a far better footballer. Not good enough.

MAHER - I thought he had a decent game, held the ball, did look to get it forwards more and rarely lost possession. I would look to accommodate him more as the season progresses.

ALLOTT - similar to Maher. The middle two don't seem to be the problem to me. What a superb goal. Looked even better on SkySportsNews.

TAYLOR - something on your mind Chris? Didn't want to be there. Didn't want the ball. Did naff all when he got it. I would criticise Lomax for his lack of supporting/overlapping play, but that was possibly Chris Taylor's worst game for the club.

HUGHES - did little, missed a great chance late on, but the service never came to him from the middle 4. Made the runs, but was well marshalled.

BYFIELD - showed some really nice touches and also a lot of pace chasing back. Seems like a player who has to create it all for himself.

DAVIES - looked up for it. His side of the deal has to be to play his heart out now and I want to see his pace - he showed it yesterday.

LIDDELL - didn't provide the outlet we needed and wasted the late free kick by putting it in to the only part of the penalty area where there were no Latics players.

I prefer a 4-4-2 formation but it isn't working for Latics. Credit to Huddersfield for how the won the midfield - if they had decent front players they could have easily won yesterday.

What is actually wrong in the middle?

MAHER / ALLOTT are a sound pairing. TAYLOR is a great wide man (regardless of recent performances). LIDDELL is past his best but still offers something, and we do have alternatives.

For me, the problems are more at full back and in the front two. Our full backs are the most prone to hoofing it long and aimless. Giving away possession. One of the front two needs to drop short more to provide an outlet to the middle two. If we insist on playing 4-4-2 the work rate in the middle needs to increase and ALESSANDRA needs to be one of the two strikers.

If we are looking to changing to a 4-5-1 I think the way I've seen Shez play his midfields over the years we'll simply isolate whoever the lone striker is.

So we then need to look at the option of a 4-2-3-1. Suggested side below. * means I think we need to replace these players though. This assumes no transfer window activity.

FLEMING in goal.

defence

EARDLEY *

LOMAX *

GREGAN

HAZELL

shielding the back 4

MAHER

ALLOTT

creative options

TAYLOR

LEE or ALESSANDRA centrally

DAVIES or WHITAKER

lone striker

HUGHES or DAVIES

I worry about changing formation mid-season. But is this the plan "B" we need?

Is there really an over-reaction by certain fans?

We are 5th because we are hanging on with draws.

Our problem, imo, is we don't look like winning games.

I agree with other posters that we need to freshen the team up and Lee is a classic example of Sheriden's determination to stick with the old guard. He had a very good game against Crewe and a reasonable game against Carlisle and then hauled off to be a bench-warmer again. By the end of this season, he will be halfway through his 2 year contract without having had an opportunity to impress. Add to this list Stephens, Davies and Smalley. All players who have had to feed on scraps of playing time.

Positives

Rubes, Gregan and Fleming

Negatives

Everyone else

BUT

We didn't lose - thats a good sign.

Theres a lot of negativity to say where we are in the league. In my opinion we need to play Lee or Lidds and move Whitts inside.

442 for me but change the bloody personnell shez!!

fleming

eardley(please be sold for 500k-1mill then we can replace him with lomax and get a proper lb in)

hazell

gregan

lomax

SMALLEY ('pointer' liddell is gash - we have PACE in the squad shez use it!)

allott

LEE (ATTACKING CM FORCE WE NEED SHEZ!!)

taylor

hughes

byfield

subs: bell stam whitaker davies alessandra.

or as has been said a liverpool style 4-2-3-1

fleming

eardley

hazell

gregan

lomax

allott

whitaker

smalley

lee

taylor

hughes

BUT We all know shez has his mates and wont see it, i wait to be proved wrong

thoughts?

Edited by shefflatic

Just reading through the posts on this thread, I believe we got battered yesterday.

That being the case, what was the score? how many shots on target did huddersfield have?

In what way did we not play well? I thought defensively we were very sound. Yes Lomax was given a stern test by his winger, but what did they create from that. The answer is very little. Apart from the goal, Fleming has made 2 saves.

Midfield functioned well from a defensve point of view, sitting as a bank of 4 and stopping/tracking (the goal excepted where Collins ran straight past Maher) the runs of the Town midfielders.

The front 2 set themselves as they have done in their previous games together when we did not have the ball.

Where we were poor yesterday was when we had the ball and consequently did not create nearly enough. The service to the front 2 was inadequate and gave them little chance to either hold the ball up or make runs into the channels. The balls forward from our 2 full backs were particularly poor and Lomax's distribution was as poor as I have seen him. Allott and Maher looked reasonable together, but playing Whittaker on the right did neither of them any favours and it was obvious that if they stopped the service to Taylor, which they did, we would have little threat down the right.

Talking to a couple of Town fans in the Head of Steam after the game, they were overall impressed with us, they thought Byfield held the ball well (I thought he had his least effective game yesterday, partly due to the poor service and the same applied to Hughes) and that as a team we were well organised, hard to breakdown and would definately be in the top 6 at the end of the season off what they had seen of the 2 games this season.

So in summary, to say we didn't play well yesterday, is, imo, not all true, defensively, we looked generally sound again. Where we didn't play well, was going forward. and that gives more of a poor impression.

I agree with some of Prozac's thoughts of formation and I have said similar things myself, but LaticsNik your posts are just all negative and have become boring, pointless and generlaly without substance.

Cheers,

Harry

positives? we did yesterday what clubs have been doing at boundary park all season, went away from home against shut up shop and got a good point deserved overall or not.

i also think thats the best ive seen a team play against us this season.

the amount of :censored:e that gets written on this board when we dont win is a joke.

"the players dont care" of course the players care but huddersfield where just better than us yesterday its that simple, but they didnt win...did they?

sign of a good side to take points from games when you dont deserve it.

or as has been said a liverpool style 4-2-3-1

fleming

eardley

hazell

gregan

lomax

allott

whitaker

smalley

lee

taylor

hughes

thoughts?

NO, NO, NO, NO AND NO. DW is not a defensive midfielder. The option if you are going to play that system is without doubt Maher. The job of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 formation is to sit and protect the back 4 and allow the 3 in front the freedom to support the front 1. DW is not that type I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Harry

NO, NO, NO, NO AND NO. DW is not a defensive midfielder. The option if you are going to play that system is without doubt Maher. The job of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 formation is to sit and protect the back 4 and allow the 3 in front the freedom to support the front 1. DW is not that type I'm afraid.

I agree, Whitts chickens out of far to many tackles to play that role.

In what way did we not play well? I thought defensively we were very sound. Yes Lomax was given a stern test by his winger, but what did they create from that. The answer is very little. Apart from the goal, Fleming has made 2 saves.

We were defensively very sound if you're talking about Gregan, Hazell and Fleming because they were magnificent. But Lomax and Eardley? Woeful, both as bad as each other and they were consistent in one thing; giving the ball away by thumping it up front which Huddersfield just mopped up and pounced on the loose balls. They couldn't handle Huddersfield's width and had to rely on two brilliant centre halves to bail them out time after time. I'm sorry Harry, we were poor all over the park aside from 3 players in defence which earned us the draw. Without them we'd have been hammered yesterday.

Nik and Prozac are spot on. People need to start waking up and smell the coffee. Whilst for me, Shez does get until the end of the season (Sacking him now just won't do anything other than start a freefall) I just have very little confidence we'll have the staying power. Tinkering... chopping... changing... No fecker knows their jobs any more. Trying to cram three midfielders into 2 spots yesterday leaving our right flank completely exposed (hang on a moment, where did their goal come from??) and it took until 75 minutes to realise that and put Liddell in there which then gave us more balance, more threat and well whaddya know? Q.E.D.

Yes, you can argue its a decent point against a team hitting a little form, but they were there for the taking. And after getting our noses in front with a wonder strike we should have closed that game off but we lost far too many loose balls in midfield and never made that ball stick up front. It's two points thrown away. Again. Not only that but the football's been poor and the enjoyment factor been nil. The hitcher was crucified for the very same.

Take out that win against [hapless] Crewe and we've not won since the very start of December. That's a month now. The next two games are winnable must-win games, and crucial to regain the faith a little bit. I don;t wanna be hanging onto coat tails of the 5th and 6th places; I want to be pushing the likes of MK Dons in second.

positives? we did yesterday what clubs have been doing at boundary park all season, went away from home against shut up shop and got a good point deserved overall or not.

i also think thats the best ive seen a team play against us this season.

the amount of :censored:e that gets written on this board when we dont win is a joke.

"the players dont care" of course the players care but huddersfield where just better than us yesterday its that simple, but they didnt win...did they?

sign of a good side to take points from games when you dont deserve it.

agreed,ktf.