Positives from yesterday

the amount of :censored:e that gets written on this board when we dont win is a joke.

sign of a good side to take points from games when you dont deserve it.

So what's your argument following recent home performances when we don't win?

Edited by mikejh45

Nik and Prozac are spot on. People need to start waking up and smell the coffee. Whilst for me, Shez does get until the end of the season (Sacking him now just won't do anything other than start a freefall) I just have very little confidence we'll have the staying power. Tinkering... chopping... changing... No fecker knows their jobs any more. Trying to cram three midfielders into 2 spots yesterday leaving our right flank completely exposed (hang on a moment, where did their goal come from??) and it took until 75 minutes to realise that and put Liddell in there which then gave us more balance, more threat and well whaddya know? Q.E.D.

Agree with most of this, but in my normally predictable opinion on the subject :wink: bringing on Liddell was an absolute joke. We are blatantly under the cosh, playing on the break, so what does he do? Bring on the slowest footballer known to man... abysmal.... the game was screaming for deano, but no, on comes that fecking wast of space...

There was a brief moment where I actually thought he had tried something different, when we seemed to be playing 3 up top, and actually looked dangerous then Talys trotted over to the left wing again and started to think about what 2 for 1 vodkas he was going to have in revolution that night, and yet again forgot he is allegedly a decent footballer...

... I may get somne crap on here for this - but Taylor is actually our biggest liability at the moment - forget whitaker, who would normally take that crown, Taylor is pathetic at the moment. he creates nothing for this team, he looks disinterested, and when he does get the ball he is marked out of the game, turns back in frustration and either loses the ball or passes it backwards - where is that fearless winger we saw for the first 10 games of the season? A million quid for what we have seen over the past 4 games - err... i'd snap your hands off... and step forward DJ when he is fit again... someone else who we desperately missed yesterday, and tbh, was doing most of Taylors leg-work in the matches previous anyway....

Yeah, whatever, we are still up there whatever... but Huddersfield and Leeds are massive threats now... and we have to play better than what we have done recently...I dont expect anything - other than supposedly occasionally playing some decent stuff... and perhaps playing players who deserve to play? Whomever is playing up front at the moment must be so sodded off with whats going on behind them... it does not matter whom it is....

Oh positives - Ruubes, Allott and Gregan were awesome.... well done lads, if it wasnt for them we would have been spanked. I also thought Eardley and Byfield played well...just unfortunate Byfeild still tired after 60 mins exactly when they scored, and became the scapegoat for it... his touches and hold up play ut to then was amazing considered the long ball bilge he had to work with.... eards played some of the best passes in the team in the first half, just a pity its eards and everyone as always tactically misses this....

Take out that win against [hapless] Crewe and we've not won since the very start of December. That's a month now. The next two games are winnable must-win games, and crucial to regain the faith a little bit. I don;t wanna be hanging onto coat tails of the 5th and 6th places; I want to be pushing the likes of MK Dons in second

Exactly. Have to get 6 points... especuially as if most teams will now have 3 games in that time. Anything less and we wont be in the playoffs by the end of the month... this is going to be the highest points total since the dowie season - 80 points for the playoffs is realistic... and anything less than 3 wins in 7 is nowhere near good enough...

Agree with most of this, but in my normally predictable opinion on the subject :wink: bringing on Liddell was an absolute joke. We are blatantly under the cosh, playing on the break, so what does he do? Bring on the slowest footballer known to man... abysmal.... the game was screaming for deano, but no, on comes that fecking wast of space...

Yeah, I'd agree with Deano too as I've mentioned in another thread in reply to Rick. It was a big pitch, lots of space and needed pace to exploit their leggy full backs who'd worked very hard most of the game. But I was just glad to get some balance in the team because it was blatant how mis-matched it looked for 75 minutes on the pitch.

Yeah, I'd agree with Deano too as I've mentioned in another thread in reply to Rick. It was a big pitch, lots of space and needed pace to exploit their leggy full backs who'd worked very hard most of the game. But I was just glad to get some balance in the team because it was blatant how mis-matched it looked for 75 minutes on the pitch.

The thing is though, what happened was that it was Davies who tried to run the channels.... especially on the right, it gave us balance as there was now an outlet down there.... but it sure as hell wasnt lidds. Most of the time it was him playing the pass to CD from inside our own half.

I'm not CD's biggets fan, and his 'impact' yesterday was for me negligible... however he did run the channels which Byfield doesnt really do. However, that isnt the answer... if smalley was on he could have done that whilst CD was in the box, as he has done for Stockport for the past 2 months...

People give Davies stick for playing on the right wing, however he only does this as Lidds isnt anywhere near where he is supposed to be. Please please, play smalley Sheridan. its getting embarrasing....

After my self imposed sabbatical, I went along to the Galpharm yesterday and was surprised.

It wasn't pleasantly though.

Surprised at how on earth we are currently in fifth place in the league. Surprised at how easily our fullbacks were given an absolute roasting - Lomax was especially guilty of having absolutely no idea of what was going on around him, Eardley a little better, but come on, who wouldn't carry him to Bristol on their back if it is true that the Ciderheads are interested in an amount approaching seven figures?

Gregan and Rubes defended the balls that were hit straight at them stoutly, but once the Hudds forwards had them on the back foot, Gregan especially, was made to look slow and cumbersome. I was surprised that on two occassions he didn't give away a penalty for wrestling his man to the floor, Mr Singh certainly had his turban pulled over his eyes whilst watching Sean doing his best impression of Big Daddy.

My biggest surprise of all considering the pedigree of the boss man was how utterly inept our midfield were. Take away the Rats' wonder strike and at times I think as a unit they may well have not been on the pitch. It has to take some :censored: wit genius for the whole foursome to find themselves in positions to be too far away from the front two to back them up but still manage to be too far away from the back four to offer anything amounting to some decent covering play. The amount of times the front four of Hudds were allowed to play football on the edge of our box at will was unbelievable. They were certainly guilty of trying to walk the ball into the net and on another day would have taken us to the cleaners. Rat and Maher are far too similar to be in the same side for me, Whits is another McDonald - half a promising season and the rest he does Casper impressions. How on earth did someone earlier in the season have the brainfart to post that he is better than Wellens??????? Taylor - surprisingly I will give him the benefit of the doubt as he has been excellent in most of the games I have seen from him this season, but I certainly saw lots of things that in the past have driven me to distraction about him.

The front two were on a hiding to nothing really with little support. I thought Byfield put the effort in with little reward - but he is no better than many a journeyman footballer that we have seen on loan in the past. Hughes looked like he didn't give a :censored:.

The changes weren't good either, though I do think that Davis brought a breath of fresh air to a team that seem to have ground to a shuddering halt ideas wise. At least he ran the channels and looked interested. Despite being a fan of Lids, surely the right substitution with 20 minutes to go is to put Smalley on the right to replace the woefully ineffective Whittaker? Even if he just knocks the ball and chases after it we are beginning to turn the oppostion around a little.

All in all, despite a good point, it was a throughly disappointing performance and I didn't really see too much to make me change my mind that I can be doing better things with my time on a Saturday afternoon than watching supposed professionals go through the motions until their next payday.

Derek.

Edited by sheridans_world
language

Gregan and Rubes defended the balls that were hit straight at them stoutly, but once the Hudds forwards had them on the back foot, Gregan especially, was made to look slow and cumbersome. I was surprised that on two occassions he didn't give away a penalty for wrestling his man to the floor, Mr Singh certainly had his turban pulled over his eyes whilst watching Sean doing his best impression of Big Daddy.

Haven't you realised yet, the Big Man is not allowed to be criticised!!! (And yes, I agree with you).

It has to take some :censored: wit genius for the whole foursome to find themselves in positions to be too far away from the front two to back them up but still manage to be too far away from the back four to offer anything amounting to some decent covering play. The amount of times the front four of Hudds were allowed to play football on the edge of our box at will was unbelievable.

Great shout and something I've overlooked. That is absolutely bang on yet has been apparent throughout this abysmal run of yeah yeah nine unbeaten. The warning signs were at Stockport when the midfield were first shown up for being aged and pedestrian like against a more youthful opposition. Yet since then it has been largely the same four with the odd fleeting appearances of Maher and Lee (Shez has to justify their signings somehow).

And we've carried on struggling in games when their midfield is more energetic than ours. So throwing subs on like Lidds and Whitts with 15 to go is even more baffling.

The thread about Kilkenny is ridiculous as well. He's exactly the type of player we need. Or if Hughes going to Donny is happening then we'll have Wellens in return thank you very much. Midfielders who want the ball, use it and aren't afraid of making things happen.

Oh but I forgot, they're both mercenaries who follow the smell of money, we don't want them, we want players who want to play for OAFC. Yet we've got football mercenary personified in our team at the moment...step forward (and keep stepping all the way home...wherever that is) Mr 13 Clubs Byfield.

E4e

£$$£$

For me the solution is Allessandra, holds the ball up well, uses it intelligently and brings the midfield into the game. In midfield i'd like to see Lee given a go, looks to make good runs and play pass and move always looking for quick one twos. I think he could work well joining up with Allessandra who has similar ideas.

Personally i'd be giving Smalley a go on the right hand side, just for the injection of pace. He looked good in the first 10 against Burnley before he got injured this season and he was definately showing some real signs of progress last season. He's a far better option than Lids who i feel is one of the main reasons people are getting on Shez's back. It's seems to me and the majority that he is getting far more second chances than anyone else would ever get close to. Ideally I'd like to see us bring in a left winger to free up Taylor to move onto the right and enjoy a bit of support from his fullback or failing that a left back who isn't afraid of overlapping would be nice. Defensively Lomax is fine but going forward he just looks scared and it's giving Taylor no options whatsoever. The thing that's got me though is that when Lomax came into teh team originally he looked for simple passes and was happy to give it and look for a return, what has happened to that? It seems his only idea now is to aimlessly punt it forward.

The wings our our main problem. eardley is doing fine, people just liek to scapegoat him, he rarely if ever has anyone in front of him giving him something to hit. If Lids plays he gives it him and gets it straight back, if Lee plays he drifts inside more often than not, if Whitts plays he drfits inside all the time. Eardley's been given a bad deal this season.

My team would be:

Fleming

Lomax/new leftback

Eardley

Gregan

Rubes

Allott

Lee

Smalley/Possibly Davies/Taylor

Taylor/New leftwinger

Allessandra

Hughes

Davies is a possibility on the right as well, quick strong, happy to run at a defender. Defensively he may not be that great but he would do his share of running, contrary to popular belief he does his share of chasing and closing down. I've left Maher out of the team, which yes I know is a bit unfair given he has performed consistently but I think we need to try something different (at least at home anyway) and that means having someone who is going to consistently try to link up with the front 2 and get himself in some gaps in the opposition defence. At Crewe Lee found holes all over the place and could have been used much more effectively if others had had a bit more vision on the ball. Maher seems to me to be a 'safe' midfielder, doesn't do anything out of the ordinary but keeps possession and gets through his share of work. Not as good as Allott in the tackling department but maybe has a bit more vision. I don't feel we need 2 playres this similar at home when teams are coming purely to shut up shop, we need someone to find the gaps and worry the opposition. Away from home though I would still be tempted to go with maher.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, just the one. I think Shez is one step closer the door.

A pathetic and embarrassing performance AGAIN from a promotion chasing team. Take the win at managerless and bottom of the league Crewe out and we've been pi$$ poor for weeks and weeks.

How many consecutive passes?

How many chances?

How many times did play make you get out of your seat?

I'm sorry but Shez is looking more and more clueless with every single game. What was Whitts doing on the right? Was he on the right? Three central midfielders?! One step forward, three steps back Shez. Then...again...Lidds on ahead of Deano. Oh to be a pal of Shez. Not even going to mention Byfield.

Shez challenged Orient to play footy. They did. Better than us. Shez asked us to raise the roof. We did.

If only he did things I asked.

E4e

JSOUT

I`d say everything in that post went out of the window last night!