If I was Deane Smalley...

..I'd be banging on shez's door first thing monday morning finding out where I stand. Last couple of weeks he has been overlooked for the right wing birth by Lidds Lee and now Whittaker, he's not getting a look in up top either. Might be an idea to send him out on loan and get some first team football if he isn't going to get a look in.

..I'd be banging on shez's door first thing monday morning finding out where I stand. Last couple of weeks he has been overlooked for the right wing birth by Lidds Lee and now Whittaker, he's not getting a look in up top either. Might be an idea to send him out on loan and get some first team football if he isn't going to get a look in.

if i was deane smalley id be asking for a permanent move to droylsden or maybe halifax where he could cut it

exactly - last season he looked superb towards the end, i was under the impression he would start rw this term and get a good run in the side, but no we have pointer ahead of him and therefore have 10 men every week.

beckham doesnt play for england any more not because he cant pass a ball but because his legs have gone, i could understand liddle playing if he gave us something barring a penalty like eyresy did - you always knew he could whip a cross over and pass the ball well - but AL is finished and its time we looked more of a threat with 2 quick wingers.

This is what i and many others are saying, the players are here, just not the manager with any notion of what an attacking team should look like unfortunately.

Bit harsh, but I'd be gobsmacked if he was the catalyst that took us from 5th to 2nd.

The best performane deane smally has put in was against Leeds last season when he came on as a sub. He tore Leeds to bits - and he did most of his best work on the left hand side and put in a couple of dangerous crosses. Taylor is getting marked out of the game alot at the moment. Give smalley a shot on the left for a game or 2 and put tayor wide right. We cant be any worse than the last few games which have all been rubbish

if i was deane smalley id be asking for a permanent move to droylsden or maybe halifax where he could cut it

He managed to cut it for most of the second half of last season but people judge him in bit part performances. He needs a decent run out again. He has the skill and pace to beat defenders so give the lad a chance.

i really dont rate him

I do. But not in the "outstanding" category".

yes he runs but always loses the ball

Not always. But football is a boring game if one side never gets the ball off the other side.

possibly the worst finisher i have ever seen

I've seen a couple of shockers from him

he even consitantly misses open nets from 3 yards

He found his scoring boots towards the end of last season

thought he was going to really kick on this season but he's gone completely the opposite way.

not a shadow of the player he was last year. his last 2 or 3 appearances have been shocking.

remember the stories of a club asking us to name our price for him pre season?? bet shez and the directors are kicking themsleves if they were true.

haha liddell's crosses very rarely beat the first man ala eardley, and any crosses he does do are from halfway line, which says it all.

You dont see leicester, MK Dons or p'boro with a 35yr old on the wing do you... cant believe smalley isnt getting/hasn't had a good run in the side yet. Give teams 2 wings to worry about instead of one.

just dont see the benefit at all of liddle being at the club any more, never mind on the pitch. (but im missing the point aren't i - he is the only one who can take a penalty, which, when scored, keeps him in the team for the next 3 weeks at least)

thought he was going to really kick on this season but he's gone completely the opposite way.

not a shadow of the player he was last year. his last 2 or 3 appearances have been shocking.

remember the stories of a club asking us to name our price for him pre season?? bet shez and the directors are kicking themsleves if they were true.

Yes those 10 minute appearances were truley awful.

really don't understand this anti Liddell stuff.

solid week in, week out. still delivers a great cross and eardley plays much better with Liddell in front of him.

Same old argument! Look at the performances over the last couple of months. We aren't creating enough and as a consequence not scoring enough.

Liddell is OCCASIONALLY very good, but certainly not solid and unfortunately we don't have a forward (in the Porter mould) who can take advantages of his few excellent crosses.

Smalley needs a first team run (not 5 mins here and there).

Liddell has well and truly past it and he had done towards the end of last season he is only in the team for his penaltys when he does play he dosnt beat a man only passes it back to eardley wich is why eards is always under pressure he never gets close to his man and the only thing that must ache from liddell at the end of the game is his arm as he never stops pointing

Deane Smalley attcks his men wins so many headers and is a player for the future

Id be knocking on sheridans door first thing monday morning asking where i stand

Rant over :grin:

Liddell has well and truly past it and he had done towards the end of last season he is only in the team for his penaltys when he does play he dosnt beat a man only passes it back to eardley wich is why eards is always under pressure he never gets close to his man and the only thing that must ache from liddell at the end of the game is his arm as he never stops pointing

Deane Smalley attcks his men wins so many headers and is a player for the future

Id be knocking on sheridans door first thing monday morning asking where i stand

Rant over :grin:

Now you've done it!!!

Every saturday, I honestly pray to see Smalley in the team... unfirtunately he is yet again another player who saves his best performaces for away games, and the BP massive produce examples of when he ducked out of tackles 18 months ago...

Lets go back to Cheltenham away in the cup.... getting twatted. Sheridan gets a brainwave.... switch to 433 with Smalley and Tayls on either side of a central striker... we look strong, direct, poweful, and Taylor and Smalley tear them a new arsehole.... one of the best 45 minutes I have seen from this team in quite a long time.... 1 week later, there he is Captain Crap back on the right wing waking to be woken up in case we get a spot kick, just like my old man when the bill is about to start...

I'd be livid if I was Deano. What we all agree we lack is a 'spark' in the midfield... with Deano and Taylor we could have that with real attacking wingers on both sides. Still the best team I have seen in this division was the lashers when they went on that second half of the season run.... they were awesome, with two geninely attacking wingers, who could both interchange with the stikers, and really commit defenders and run from deep... I genuinely thought we had the personnel to do something similar this season.... how wrong I have been proved....

Its not just Deano though... as has been said, Lewi and Lee both should be right royally frigged off... not saying they should start every week, but i'm sure Shez said something about squad competition, and players playing for their places at the start of the season? Bollocks. Hasnt happened, I just cant believe some of the decisions that have been made....

Oh well.... as has been said, we are still up there, and in a decent position for the real season to start in february. You never know... old Grayson at leeds could decide what they reall need is a painfully slow, has-been to point thier way to promotion from the right wing... thats exactly what i would have. Awesome... cos as far as I can see there is no way Liddell is not going to be played unless either he or sheridan is not at this club. I honestly cant believe that Andy liddell would be in any other team in the top half of the table...

Every saturday, I honestly pray to see Smalley in the team... unfirtunately he is yet again another player who saves his best performaces for away games, and the BP massive produce examples of when he ducked out of tackles 18 months ago...

Lets go back to Cheltenham away in the cup.... getting twatted. Sheridan gets a brainwave.... switch to 433 with Smalley and Tayls on either side of a central striker... we look strong, direct, poweful, and Taylor and Smalley tear them a new arsehole.... one of the best 45 minutes I have seen from this team in quite a long time.... 1 week later, there he is Captain Crap back on the right wing waking to be woken up in case we get a spot kick, just like my old man when the bill is about to start...

I'd be livid if I was Deano. What we all agree we lack is a 'spark' in the midfield... with Deano and Taylor we could have that with real attacking wingers on both sides. Still the best team I have seen in this division was the lashers when they went on that second half of the season run.... they were awesome, with two geninely attacking wingers, who could both interchange with the stikers, and really commit defenders and run from deep... I genuinely thought we had the personnel to do something similar this season.... how wrong I have been proved....

Its not just Deano though... as has been said, Lewi and Lee both should be right royally frigged off... not saying they should start every week, but i'm sure Shez said something about squad competition, and players playing for their places at the start of the season? Bollocks. Hasnt happened, I just cant believe some of the decisions that have been made....

Oh well.... as has been said, we are still up there, and in a decent position for the real season to start in february. You never know... old Grayson at leeds could decide what they reall need is a painfully slow, has-been to point thier way to promotion from the right wing... thats exactly what i would have. Awesome... cos as far as I can see there is no way Liddell is not going to be played unless either he or sheridan is not at this club. I honestly cant believe that Andy liddell would be in any other team in the top half of the table...

Exactly

I would be backing Smalley all the way if he looked like he was interested , sadly the odd showing from the subs bench does nothing to make me think he is ready to take Liddell's place. Smalley has got the ability but maybe he is to busy basking in the fact that he is a professional footballer ?

Oh and drphibes - would you be interested if you had a 5 min run out every 6 weeks.......!

Yes I think I would because your career will only go one way if you go through the motions. Surely the idea is the run your nuts off in the time you get and force the manager into a position where he cannot leave you on the bench.

Yes I think I would because your career will only go one way if you go through the motions. Surely the idea is the run your nuts off in the time you get and force the manager into a position where he cannot leave you on the bench.

Do agree with you DrP... but what is there at the moment to idicate to the fringe players that you might actually get a shot if you do that?

So many times there has been chinks of light, and then everything is forgotten for the next saturday.

Lets wait until hartlepool... at home, game there to be taking from a team who attack well but cant defend for toffee... Shall we pick a team to take the game to them? Watch this space...*

*needless to say i virtually guarantee Captain Pathetic will occupy the right wing, taking the game to them from somewhere 40 yards beind play...

I would be backing Smalley all the way if he looked like he was interested , sadly the odd showing from the subs bench does nothing to make me think he is ready to take Liddell's place. Smalley has got the ability but maybe he is to busy basking in the fact that he is a professional footballer ?

Smalley is a confidence player. Give him a serious runout and crowd support (instead of jumping on his back during warmups as some "supporters" do) and we will see someone getting back to last season's best.

Lee is an excellent example of Sheriden's thought processes regarding team selection. Plays a very good game and then an average game only to be dropped for one of the Untouchables. Liddell has had several below-par games this season but still gets picked. If Sheriden gave the same opportunities to his other players then we might start seeing overall improvements.