Football autobiographies – Oldham related.

After Santa was kind to me (I think), I have ended up with Joe Royle and Graeme Sharp’s autobiographies.

I’ve just finished Joe Royles and have started Graeme Sharp’s.

Some of the Latics related stuff in Royle’s is absolutely bonkers. Wonder if we’ll always be a sell to survive club.

Anyone else read it or any other Latics related biographies/autobiographies?

After Santa was kind to me (I think), I have ended up with Joe Royle and Graeme Sharp’s autobiographies.

I’ve just finished Joe Royles and have started Graeme Sharp’s.

Some of the Latics related stuff in Royle’s is absolutely bonkers. Wonder if we’ll always be a sell to survive club.

Anyone else read it or any other Latics related biographies/autobiographies?

Interesting aprt of royle's book relates to the deal in place with then director Norman Holden. "i'll put up the money for Tommy Wright, Kevin Moore, FRankie Bunn etc.., we'll split any profit 50/50!" Not sure that entirely is within the rules but hey ho! Thebit about us almost nicking Batty as well is a good read!

Micky Quinn's is a good read as is Redders, but he comes across as a bit of a tart, once he lost his place he moved on hence the number of clubs he had early in his career. Time for Stitch to write his methinks, what a read that would be.

Fancy that Joe Royle one, sadly my kids thought i'd appreciate a top gear annual, had a flick through the Readfearn one in Spindles, thought he'd mention latics more tbh, seemed a lot about Barnsley in it, The Mickey Quinn one was good, that Cantrill Farm estate where he's from has produced lots of top footballers, must be summat int water

Fancy that Joe Royle one, sadly my kids thought i'd appreciate a top gear annual, had a flick through the Readfearn one in Spindles, thought he'd mention latics more tbh, seemed a lot about Barnsley in it, The Mickey Quinn one was good, that Cantrill Farm estate where he's from has produced lots of top footballers, must be summat int water

To be fair Redders is a Barnsley legend, his status at BP is because of THAT pen. He did state in his book that in hindsight he wishes he had stayed a while longer at BP and fought for his place as he would have had the chance to play top flight football earlier in his career. He acknowledges he could be pig-headed and over reactive when he was younger.

Royle's is a great book, every Latics fan should read that.

Only got Joe Corrigan's myself this Christmas. City related but a good read all the same. His stories of them beating the top sides at weekend and then playing midweek in behind closed doors games and and losing to lower league sides like Wigan 'A' is very funny and often being rolled by lower league sides too.

Nothing changes at the Big Top!

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

ive read the Ron Atkinson one he says when he was at Man U he offered us David Platt when Platt was there as a kid, but we said no because we didnt rate him, we was after a different player instead - typical latics! didnt know that till i read the book!

I read Joe Royles and Graeme Sharp's, the latter is 80% about his Everton days, but he's not very kind about members of our board at the time he was manager. I agree that Andy Ritchie should do one, are there any others apart from Redders, Mick Quinn, JR, Sharpy and Bobby Johnstone?

I read Joe Royles and Graeme Sharp's, the latter is 80% about his Everton days, but he's not very kind about members of our board at the time he was manager. I agree that Andy Ritchie should do one, are there any others apart from Redders, Mick Quinn, JR, Sharpy and Bobby Johnstone?

As much as I like Ritchie (believe it or not), how many copies would he sell? Doubt it would be enough to warrant him doing it. Royle is a legend at 2/3 clubs and Sharpe is at Everton. Much more attractive to publishers than a Latics legend, unfortunately.

At least Stitch does the after-dinner speaking.

Got Joes book 2 years ago or so when he was signing them in the Spindles but still only read 2/3rds of it.

If you want to read a really good football book that is also very funny then read one of Fred Eyres books.

Get them cheap in paperback and well worth it as he is also the best presenter on the GMR football.

He says what he thinks which very very few do.

Bought Joe's book for my Dad a couple of years ago (so I could read it myself, obviously :grin: ).

The Oldham bits are more or less essential reading for any Latics fan, but I thought the book as a whole was a let down. I wouldn't say Joe sounds bitter as such, but it is somewhat a case of "this is my side and nothing was my fault", especially with respect to the Everton and City years.

And it's really badly written. If I was Joe, I'd have sacked the ghostwriter.

Oh - one other bit of essential reading is the bit that destroys the myth that Keane ended Haaland's career, as most Keane-haters like to think.

Not Latics related, although there are brief mentions of us and Shez, but Tony Cascarino's book "Full Time" and the two by Garry Nelson, "Left Foot Forward" and "Left Foot in the Grave" are essential reading.

The strangest (auto)biography that I've ever seen the Latics mentioned in is a book by/about Morecambe & Wise. Written at the height of their popularity it recounts a story of Ernie Wise visiting the Latics dressing room after a heavy defeat at Peterborough. He was hoping to become a member of the Posh board, even though he didn't like football, and had gone to congratulate the team on their victory, only to find himself in with the wrong team. He was given short (pun intended ;)) shrift by the Oldham players.

A strange incident.

In Neil Warnock's, he mentions his time at Oldham in all of 1 page.

Basically, he doesn't class our relegation "against his name" as we were always going to be going down regardless who was in charge.

Fair enough, I won't put it against the name Neil Warnock. It must have been that C. :censored:'s fault.

Fair enough, I won't put it against the name Neil Warnock. It must have been that C. :censored:'s fault.

I don't buy that warnock wasn't at least partially to blame for our relegation. he went at the job like a bull in a china shop, signed plenty of midfielders but no striker, that pretty much doomed us as we were left with McCarthorse, Jigsaw Barlow and plain donkey :censored: Banger. Oh and he dropped The Stick, who had been superb since his return. We were by no means out of it. Thankfully I worked weekends for most of that particular season and apart from two or three games didn't really miss much. Warnock forever a tosser in my book for binning Nick Henry for that aussie fukwit Hodgson!

Edited by oafcprozac