We don't know what it is...

Matt

I get called for being too sceptical, question everything - assume nothing. For instance, I don't like people being duped by smooth talking con-men preying on the faith of good people, nor do I believe in homeopathy and otrher psuedo-sciences.

Occam's Razor:

All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best.

UFO enthusiasts are claiming damage to a Lincolnshire wind farm turbine was caused by a mystery aircraft. The turbine at Conisholme lost one 66ft (20m) blade and another was badly damaged in the early hours of Sunday.

Dale Vince, founder of Ecotricity, said the company was keeping an open mind about the incident:

We don't have an explanation at the moment as to what the cause was, we have been crawling all over it and have sent bits off for analysis to see if we can work out what caused it. Until we have some idea, some plausible explanation that it was not a UFO, I don't think we should rule it out. To make one of these blades fall off, or to bend it, takes a lot."

Quite clearly, it doesn't.

After that statement UK "UFOlogists" are spouting crap about all sorts of mumbo jumbo, and whipping the locals into a frenzy...

Mr Palmer, presumably a local resident said:

"I actually saw a white light - a round, white light that seemed to be hovering. "

That'll be the moon then.

Russ Kellett, from the Flying Saucer Bureau ( :laught16: ), said witnesses had told him of activity in the area:

One [person] saw what they at first thought was a low-flying aircraft (which may be a plane? Just guessing - RTO) on the Saturday evening and another heard a loud banging in the early hours of Sunday. This is the second most reports of activity we have ever had - I have had over 30 phone calls and emails.

Probably all from the same nut-job. He went on...

To hit two of the blades, any object must have been about 170ft long.

If Footy68 or Tramdriver reads this, can I ask a question - if the blade is rotating, am I right to assume that the object does not need to be anywhere near 170ft long to hit two blades? It could be much, much smaller than that?

The MoD are not bothering with it anyway....

I get called for being too sceptical, question everything - assume nothing. For instance, I don't like people being duped by smooth talking con-men preying on the faith of good people, nor do I believe in homeopathy and otrher psuedo-sciences.

Occam's Razor:

All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best.

Dale Vince, founder of Ecotricity, said the company was keeping an open mind about the incident:

Quite clearly, it doesn't.

After that statement UK "UFOlogists" are spouting crap about all sorts of mumbo jumbo, and whipping the locals into a frenzy...

Mr Palmer, presumably a local resident said:

That'll be the moon then.

Russ Kellett, from the Flying Saucer Bureau ( :laught16: ), said witnesses had told him of activity in the area:

Probably all from the same nut-job. He went on...

If Footy68 or Tramdriver reads this, can I ask a question - if the blade is rotating, am I right to assume that the object does not need to be anywhere near 170ft long to hit two blades? It could be much, much smaller than that?

Whipping the locals into a frenzy, get em to come to Oldham. Loud banging on a Sunday morning....must have forgot the key

Edited by Loftyboy

Well Matt lets look at it pragmatically. If one blade becomes detatched through failure, what is the likeleyhood that it will hit one of the other two causing damage to that one?

On the subject of U.F.O.'s, why does everybody think they'll turn up with all lights blazing.

Well Matt lets look at it pragmatically. If one blade becomes detatched through failure, what is the likeleyhood that it will hit one of the other two causing damage to that one?

Yeah, that's probably it Martin. Cheers.

I don't know how these things get thought up sometimes....

Duh! They usually come in the middle of the night, you plank!

Of course they only come at night, space is only there at night when it is dark. duh!!!

Just in case there is any ambiguity this is supposed to be a humourous post, I am not really that stupid.

And right on cue, from the Daily Hate Mail

Unmanned stealth bomber could have been UFO responsible for destroying wind turbine

By David Wilkes

Last updated at 9:39 AM on 09th January 2009

Comments (108) Add to My Stories

The UFO allegedly responsible for wrecking a wind turbine could have been a secret unmanned stealth bomber on test flights.

The claim came from Ministry of Defence insiders who reportedly said that a black delta-wing craft called Taranis was making test runs on the coastal bombing ranges at Donna Nook and North Coates in Lincolnshire, near to the site of the damaged turbine.

The Taranis, named after the Celtic god of thunder, is about the same size as a Hawk jet and is equipped with stealth equipment and an 'autonomous' artificial intelligence system.

Theory: Government officials claim the Taranis was making test flights near to the area where a wind turbine was destroyed

The plane is being developed by BAE Systems and has been designed to deliver weapons to battlefields in other continents.

The UFO was spotted by hundreds of witnesses with many believing it was the work of an 'alien' craft.

One saw orangey-yellow spheres skimming across the sky.

Another reported a 'massive ball of light' with 'tentacles going right down to the ground'.

Then witnesses told of an earsplitting bang at 4am. Come dawn and the plot thickens.

At the nearby wind farm one of the 60ft blades from a 200ft turbine was found ripped off. Another had been left twisted and useless.

Mystery: The damaged wind turbine, with one of its blades ripped off, in Conisholme, Lincolnshire

So far, so mysterious, except - of course - to the UFO experts.

For them, the strange goings on at a wind farm in Conisholme, Lincolnshire, can be explained by a flying saucer crashing into the turbine in a close encounter that could, at last, provide the evidence of other life forms they have been waiting for all their lives.

John Harrison, of nearby Saltfleetby, saw the ball of light and its 'tentacles' over the farm. 'It was an incredible sight, I have never seen anything like it before,' he said. 'I have no idea what it was.'

Broken blade: The damaged wind turbine at the centre of the Lincolnshire UFO mystery

Lesley Whittingham tried to photograph the scene. 'It looked like a giant explosion in the air,' she said.

Dorothy Willows saw orangeyyellow spheres. 'I don't believe in UFOs but it was a low-flying object,' said Mrs Willows. Her husband Stephen was woken by a sudden noise hours later on Sunday morning when the damage to the turbines happened.

Could that have been the sound of a UFO hitting it?

Council chief Robert Palmer said he had seen a 'round object with a slight red trim hovering near the top of the turbines' that night too.

'When I heard what had happened I was slightly worried so I've called for a full health and safety review,' said Mr Palmer, 66.

'If the aliens are coming, I want to be there to meet and greet them.'

Enlarge

Yesterday your reporter visited the scene and, while I failed to see any little green men, I did find four little men in green uniforms.

But they had arrived by van, not spaceship, and worked for Ecotricity, the company that built the wind farm.

UFO expert Nick Pope, a former head of the Ministry of Defence's UFO Project, said: 'This is a really bizarre case. What's particularly exciting is that because there's been a collision, there will be residue of the object involved.

Witness: Lesley Whittingham took a photograph of the lights, below. She said they remained in the sky for several minutes

'Forensic science will enable this material to be recovered and analysed. This elevates this UFO case, because with most sightings all you have is eyewitness testimony or indistinct and shaky film footage taken on a mobile phone.'

Despite his confidence in obtaining hard evidence, a glance around the bleak Fenland landscape provided another mystery.

Having travelled billions of miles to visit Earth, why would our alien friends land in the hamlet of Conisholme, where there are no shops and no pub, but oddly there is an ice cream parlour?

The thought had crossed the mind of the nearest resident to the wind farm.

The woman, who gave her name as Sheila, said she saw or heard nothing on Sunday night and added: 'I hope that one day we will see aliens, but I doubt it will happen in that field.

'I've lived here for 20 years and nothing interesting has ever happened here.'

All sheiiiite.

1. Robert Palmer is dead

2. UFO expert Nick Pope, a former head of the Ministry of Defence's UFO Project.......I wonder why?

3. John Harrison, of nearby Saltfleetby, saw the ball of light and its 'tentacles' over the farm.....I'll have a pint of what he's had.

All sheiiiite.

1. Robert Palmer is dead

2. UFO expert Nick Pope, a former head of the Ministry of Defence's UFO Project.......I wonder why?

3. John Harrison, of nearby Saltfleetby, saw the ball of light and its 'tentacles' over the farm.....I'll have a pint of what he's had.

It takes a Yorkshireman to get to the heart of the matter:

maybe it was just a loose screw and a bit of wind

Click to rate Rating 34 - brian rice, halifax england, 08/1/2009 12:36

Classic!