Leicester away trip - beer & food

I would like to extend a warm welcome to supporters who are travelling to Leicester on Saturday 7th Feb. We are a Sports & Social Club, situated half way between the railway station and the Walkers Stadium, and well behaved visiting supporters are more than welcome to visit us for a drink and a bite to eat before the game. We are off the main routes to the ground and therefore do not attract passing trade, which ensures we keep the club reserved for those who enjoy good hospitality. We have a range of drinks including Real Ales; and Hot & cold food is also served. There is free admission to guests and all I ask is that people inform me of their intention to visit us a day or so in advance - need to make sure we've got enough supplies in ! Please e-mail me direct at regentclub@hotmail.com for the address and further details.

I would like to extend a warm welcome to supporters who are travelling to Leicester on Saturday 7th Feb. We are a Sports & Social Club, situated half way between the railway station and the Walkers Stadium, and well behaved visiting supporters are more than welcome to visit us for a drink and a bite to eat before the game. We are off the main routes to the ground and therefore do not attract passing trade, which ensures we keep the club reserved for those who enjoy good hospitality. We have a range of drinks including Real Ales; and Hot & cold food is also served. There is free admission to guests and all I ask is that people inform me of their intention to visit us a day or so in advance - need to make sure we've got enough supplies in ! Please e-mail me direct at regentclub@hotmail.com for the address and further details.

Do you have sky sports, there's a big game on that evening!!

Thanks very much 'Blue Fox', I am sure you will be informed of the numbers who will take up your hospitality....

Be aware of a certain 'Diegos Sideburns', He was kicked out of a pub in southend you know and :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::wink:

A very nice gesture, which i'm sure there will be a few in attendance. Thank you.

though be very aware of a coach load of blokeywomen with beards :grin:

A very nice gesture, which i'm sure there will be a few in attendance. Thank you.

Dont talk about the official coaches like that... the women of oldham will be offended :wink:

Just a quick point... Map and linky? I'm assuming this is you... Regent Club

Edited by BigfinLatic

Thanks very much 'Blue Fox', I am sure you will be informed of the numbers who will take up your hospitality....

Be aware of a certain 'Diegos Sideburns', He was kicked out of a pub in southend you know and :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::wink:

Not only I but nine of the best-behaved supporters Blue Fox's Club could hope to have as guests.

I can't speak for all nine, but five of us, plus others, will be sampling the delights of Leicester city centre instead of taking up Blue Fox's offer, so his loss will be the gain of other pubs.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

All you need to know for the Leicester trip.

By Train

The Walkers Stadium is 20 minutes walk from London Road Station. There is normally a heavy police presence around the station on match days.

Come out of the station cross the road and proceed to the left. Follow this round to the right and now you are walking with the main Central Ring Road (Waterloo Way) on your left. Keep this to your left as the pavement becomes a separate path and the road sinks down into a dip down to your left. A quick left and right to stay on the pathway as it crosses New Walk and you go down to the left hand side of New Walk Museum.

The pathway rejoins the main road as pavement again and you see a small recreation ground (Nelson Mandela Park) on your right. Turn right into Lancaster Road and then cross the park to the crossings over the main road by the public lavatories. Head for the Victory pub opposite (not recommended for away fans), turn left across the front of Leicester Royal Infirmary. First right into Walnut Street and you can see the stadium behind the old Filbert Street ground.

By Bus

Buses to the ground leave from the Haymarket bus station. Details of service numbers and times are available from the station’s information office.

By Car

Directions from North & South:

The M1 and M69 Motorways interchange at junction 21 (M1), where you should exit and follow the signs for the city centre via the A5460. After 3 miles turn right into Upperton Road, go over the bridge and take the first right down Western Boulevard and you will see the Walkers Stadium on your right hand side.

Parking:

No on-site parking is available for away fans on match days. The club provides limited parking spaces within easy reach of the stadium at Saffron Lane Sports Centre (currently being redeveloped), on a first come, first served basis. NOTE: "Travellers" may have beaten you to it!

Limited parking facilities can be found within walking distance from the ground, including an NCP municipal car park beside the Leicester Tigers RUFC ground on Welford Road, five minutes walk from the Walkers Stadium. There is also street parking around the Upperton Road area. although traffic wardens are known to have a field-day with double-parking in this area on match days.

Further parking is available in the city centre, signposted on the approach roads.

Map/Directions to the Walkers Stadium:

http://www.lcfc.com/javaImages/45/4b/0,,10274~412485,00.jpg

If you’ve been to the old Filbert Street ground, head towards there and you can’t miss the new stadium.

PUBS

Most of the pubs near to the stadium are for home fans only. The Victory and the F Bar should be avoided by visiting supporters. The Half-Time Orange just over the road from the away end is a members-only Leicester City bar.

For those arriving by train, The Hind across the road from the station serves a selection of real ales.

The Leicester Gateway on Gateway Street (half a mile from the train station) has extended a welcome to Latics supporters for this match. It is quite a large pub with a mixture of home and away fans and Sky Sports. It offers six hand-pull ales, as well as Guinness, six draught lagers, cider, scrumpy, a wide range of bottles and simple food in the shape of filled rolls. Listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. Sky Sports and secure parking opposite for £3. Half a mile from the train station and very easy to find - follow the signs for De Montfort University - (LE2 7DP for your Sat Navs).

Along High Street there are several pubs including:

Cafe Bruxelles with a good selection of Belgian beers. A continental style bar & cafe, with spectacular decor. Not cheap.

Queen of Bradgate offering good value traditional food and drink, and a juke box

Orange Tree ia a small bar with food. Not cheap.

High Cross (J D Wetherspoon's) marks the centre of medieval Leicester. Outstanding value drinks and five meals available at £2.99:

Cottage pie, chips and peas (made with British beef)

Ham, eggs and chips (Wiltshire ham, served with two fried free-range eggs)

Sausages, baked beans and chips (award-winning Lincolnshire sausages)

Spicy tomato pasta and jacket potato and tuna mayonnaise with a salad.

O’Neill’s Pub in Loseby Lane (off High Street) has a good choice of drinks and food.

The ‘Taste of Ireland’ menu is good value at £2.95. It includes:

Irish cheese & smokey bacon burger with chips.

Limerick ham & Irish Cheddar quiche with new potatoes & mixed leaves.

Irish sausages & colcannon with red onion gravy.

Chicken in a creamy mushroom and brandy sauce on colcannon with melted Irish Cheddar in a Crock Pot.

Irish stew in a pale ale gravy in a Crock Pot with soda bread.

Vegetarian sausage & colcannon with red onion gravy.

Shepherd’s pie topped with colcannon.

Lemon & pepper salmon skewer with salad & soda bread.

O'Neill's are showing England v Italy in the Six Nations rugby tournament on screens throughout the pub at 3:00pm.

The Regent Sports & Social Club, situated half way between the railway station and the Walkers Stadium, has extended an invitation to well behaved visiting supporters to visit for a drink and a bite to eat before the game. Situated off the main routes to the ground and therefore not attracting passing trade, ensures that the Club is kept reserved for those who enjoy good hospitality. It has a range of drinks including real ales, and hot & cold food is also served. There is free admission to guests but people need to inform the Club of their intention to visit a day or so in advance.

e-mail: regentclub@hotmail.com for the address and further details.

http://www.leicester.co.uk/listing/24884/

The city centre is a walk of about 15-20 minutes from the Stadium and, with a 5:20pm kick-off, there’s plenty of time to discover its delights before the game. It could prove to be a memorable day out, even if the result doesn’t go our way.

City Centre Map:

http://www.leicesterguide.co.uk/images/City-Map.gif

Leicester Pub Guide:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/resul...tml?l=Leicester

Note: The Litten Tree is now closed.

Leicester CAMRA pub map:

http://www.leicestercamra.org.uk/LeicesterPubs.shtml

Just to let them that are going to think about drinking in the ground. They serve drink, but it is utterly awful. Do not even consider it.

Cant be any worse than the flat, warm lager that they serve at half time in the Frizzell bar. I'm sure they must pour the pre-ordered drinks for half time at kick off.

There is normally a heavy police presence around the station on match days.

not recommended for away fans

Most of the pubs near to the stadium are for home fans only.

The Victory and the F Bar should be avoided by visiting supporters[/color].

after southendgate, im beginning to suspect diego knows a little too much about this type of thing :wink:

We're very broad minded down here - blokeywomen, beards, sideburns, team colours all welcome (I might regret saying that!!)

All you need to know for the Leicester trip.

By Train

The Walkers Stadium is 20 minutes walk from London Road Station. There is normally a heavy police presence around the station on match days.

Come out of the station cross the road and proceed to the left. Follow this round to the right and now you are walking with the main Central Ring Road (Waterloo Way) on your left. Keep this to your left as the pavement becomes a separate path and the road sinks down into a dip down to your left. A quick left and right to stay on the pathway as it crosses New Walk and you go down to the left hand side of New Walk Museum.

The pathway rejoins the main road as pavement again and you see a small recreation ground (Nelson Mandela Park) on your right. Turn right into Lancaster Road and then cross the park to the crossings over the main road by the public lavatories. Head for the Victory pub opposite (not recommended for away fans), turn left across the front of Leicester Royal Infirmary. First right into Walnut Street and you can see the stadium behind the old Filbert Street ground.

By Bus

Buses to the ground leave from the Haymarket bus station. Details of service numbers and times are available from the station’s information office.

By Car

Directions from North & South:

The M1 and M69 Motorways interchange at junction 21 (M1), where you should exit and follow the signs for the city centre via the A5460. After 3 miles turn right into Upperton Road, go over the bridge and take the first right down Western Boulevard and you will see the Walkers Stadium on your right hand side.

Parking:

No on-site parking is available for away fans on match days. The club provides limited parking spaces within easy reach of the stadium at Saffron Lane Sports Centre, on a first come, first served basis.

Limited parking facilities can be found within walking distance from the ground, including an NCP municipal car park beside the Leicester Tigers RUFC ground on Welford Road, five minutes walk from the Walkers Stadium. There is also street parking around the Upperton Road area. although traffic wardens are known to have a field-day with double-parking in this area on match days.

Further parking is available in the city centre, signposted on the approach roads.

Map/Directions to the Walkers Stadium:

http://www.lcfc.com/javaImages/45/4b/0,,10274~412485,00.jpg

If you’ve been to the old Filbert Street ground, head towards there and you can’t miss the new stadium.

PUBS

Most of the pubs near to the stadium are for home fans only. The Victory and the F Bar should be avoided by visiting supporters. The Half-Time Orange just over the road from the away end is a members-only Leicester City bar.

For those arriving by train, The Hind across the road from the station serves a selection of real ales.

The Leicester Gateway on gateway Street is quite a large pub with a mixture of home and away fans. It offers a wide selection of beers and simple food and is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide, but I have read widely varying reviews.

The city centre is a walk of about 15-20 minutes from the Stadium and, with a 5:20pm kick-off, there’s plenty of time to discover its delights before the game. It could prove to be a memorable day out, even if the result doesn’t go our way.

City Centre Map:

http://www.leicesterguide.co.uk/images/City-Map.gif

Leicester Pub Guide:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/resul...tml?l=Leicester

Leicester CAMRA pub map:

http://www.leicestercamra.org.uk/LeicesterPubs.shtml

Heritage Pub Crawl Map:

3187829722_9c46f30b08_b.jpg

My good deed for the day - I suggest you check some of this information as it may be a little out of date, for example The Gateway has been closed due to rodent infestation, Saffron Lane Sports Stadium is being redeveloped and/or is usually full of "travellers" and a number of the pubs on the Heritage Map have closed down. Enjoy your trip.

My good deed for the day - I suggest you check some of this information as it may be a little out of date, for example The Gateway has been closed due to rodent infestation, Saffron Lane Sports Stadium is being redeveloped and/or is usually full of "travellers" and a number of the pubs on the Heritage Map have closed down. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for your update.

The park & ride car park in Swansea has a travellers' camp, so we're used to that.

With the current economic situation, there's every possibility that other pubs on the map will have closed by the day of the game.

Apparently The Gateway had closed down but was open again for the last home game. Assuming the rats have gone (!) I'm hearing good reports about it - Sky Sports for the results and parking nearby pretty good too.

Apparently The Gateway had closed down but was open again for the last home game. Assuming the rats have gone (!) I'm hearing good reports about it - Sky Sports for the results and parking nearby pretty good too.

Oh bollox! I've just edited my post based on Blue Fox's (mis)information. :blush: