Windass column

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...-Im-Oldham.html

To Hull and back: Forget the beer I'm off to Oldham

By Dean Windass

Last updated at 9:02 PM on 09th January 2009

Comments (0) Add to My Stories

This morning I thought I’d be waking up with a hangover after celebrating the 15th birthday of my son Josh before having a quiet afternoon watching Jeff Stelling and the Sky Sports boys.

A trip to Goodison Park with Hull City was never on the agenda.

Instead, the family have put the balloons, cake and beers on hold and it was an early night and a light breakfast before I head down the M62 to play for League One Oldham for the first time.

Dean Windass has completed a move to Oldham

It’s been a long week after Hull told me I could leave.

The Oldham contract is until the end of the season, with a year’s option.

The proximity to home makes Boundary Park the ideal place.

And I might just have an eye on Wembley again.

It is sad to walk away from Hull but I’ve given it as long as I could and it’s clear I’m not going to play for them in the Premier League.

I’ve no problem with that, or with Phil Brown.

If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have had a second chance to play for the club I love and the opportunity to score a Wembley promotion goal.

He was happy to take the gamble when he was offered the chance to sign me.

Hull City boss decided to let Windass leave the KC Stadium

I wanted to return to Hull before I retired and thankfully he and previous chairman Adam Pearson made it possible.

Yet as much as Phil was good for me, I’d like to think I was pretty good for him and Hull, too.

City fans will remember the goal at Cardiff which kept us in the Championship two years ago.

Phil will remember the push for the play-offs when my leg was nearly falling off and I was being patched up to play.

I haven’t fallen out with Phil and I never would.

We’ve had nothing to fall out about.

He hasn’t picked me, he’s the manager and all I’ve wanted to do is play.

He knows he’s right and I know I’m right.

But I could have done a job in the Premier League and I don’t think I have had a fair crack at it.

I just want to carry on playing and you ain’t see the back of me yet.

People move on in football and today I’ll play for a team facing Hartlepool — and they wanted me, too.

A years option also it says. If he bangs em in then Hughes signs we could well have a settled strikeforce for the 1st time in years

To be honest my first thought when i heard Windass had signed was 'Hughes is going,then'. Windass'll be on a decent wage and i'd be surprised if we could afford both of them. Good signing though, even if he is about 90.

To be honest my first thought when i heard Windass had signed was 'Hughes is going,then'. Windass'll be on a decent wage and i'd be surprised if we could afford both of them. Good signing though, even if he is about 90.

Lol. I wonder if his columnist services will be retained by the Daily Mail?