Officially OFF!

Officially gutted. Definitely a well done to all the volunteers at least it can be said we gave ourselves the best possible chance. Some things are out of our hands. Jack Frost i hope your proud of yourself your evil and one of these days someones going to open a can of whoop ass on ya

Received a text this moning to say that the pitch inspection was now 10:45am instead of 10:15am. Then before 10:30am I heard on Five Live that the game was off. I had doubts about the BBC announcement as I believed the pitch inspection had not yet taken place. So I rang BP at about 11:00am. The recorded message said that after a pitch inspection, there was to be another inspection at 1:00pm and, if there was no deterioration, the game would go ahead today at 3:00pm. So that confirmed to me that Five Live had got it wrong.

Then in the midst of a series of texts/phone calls from confused callers, I phoned BP again at 11:15am, to find that the recorded message had been changed to say the game was postponed until Monday.

Even now I am still staggered at the content of that first recorded message, which stated clearly that the game was on, if there was no detrioration by the 1:00pm inspection - what 1:0pm inspection? :angry:

Received a text this moning to say that the pitch inspection was now 10:45am instead of 10:15am. Then before 10:30am I heard on Five Live that the game was off. I had doubts about the BBC announcement as I believed the pitch inspection had not yet taken place. So I rang BP at about 11:00am. The recorded message said that after a pitch inspection, there was to be another inspection at 1:00pm and, if there was no deterioration, the game would go ahead today at 3:00pm. So that confirmed to me that Five Live had got it wrong.

Then in the midst of a series of texts/phone calls from confused callers, I phoned BP again at 11:15am, to find that the recorded message had been changed to say the game was postponed until Monday.

Even now I am still staggered at the content of that first recorded message, which stated clearly that the game was on, if there was no detrioration by the 1:00pm inspection - what 1:0pm inspection? :angry:

y'know..being one of the happy souls on the pitch this morning ,i really couldn't help you with a EXACT (to the minute) time as to it being called off..

but ...

arn't you being a bit picky here terrence?

you seem to be the only person who has this (mis)info?

Edited by johnny punkster

y'know..being one of the happy souls on the pitch this morning ,i really couldn't help you with a EXACT (to the minute) time as to it being called off..

but ...

arn't you being a bit picky here terrence?

you seem to be the only person who has this (mis)info?

Not being picky at all!

I'm trying to think of some possible explanation for the BP recorded message that after a pitch inspection, there was to be another inspection at 1:00pm and, if there was no deterioration, the game would go ahead on Saturday at 3:00pm, when it appears that nothing was further from the truth. It just mystifies me completely!

I wasn;t the only person with this (mis)info - what about all the others to whom I texted it?

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

C'mon D_S you should know that the only real "sauce" of accurate information on Latics is to be found on OWTB :grin:

Not being picky at all!

I'm trying to think of some possible explanation for the BP recorded message that after a pitch inspection, there was to be another inspection at 1:00pm and, if there was no deterioration, the game would go ahead on Saturday at 3:00pm, when it appears that nothing was further from the truth. It just mystifies me completely!

I wasn;t the only person with this (mis)info - what about all the others to whom I texted it?

Why not subscribe to the text alert service or log on here? You know better than anyone how quickly info is relayed on here - particularly by me or Dean 1984 when we have received the official alerts, normally a matter of seconds after receipt of the message. OWTB the only place for clarity!

Edited by oafcprozac

C'mon D_S you should know that the only real "sauce" of accurate information on Latics is to be found on OWTB :grin:

I know OWTB is the best sauce, but I did not have computer access on Friday or Saturday as I was in Oldham.

I had arranged to be kept informed of the pitch situation reported on OWTB via text on Mrs. S's phone. In the absence of a text message, and hearing what I believed was incorrect info on Five Live, I relied on listening to the recorded message at BP, which gave the impression that the game would be ON barring a swarm of locusts or something equally catastrophic. That (mis)info was passed on to Mrs. S's text contacts.

Many years ago there was a film called 'Gaslight', in which a bloke kept turning down the gaslight to make his wife think she was going mad. After hearing that message yesterday, and all the conflicting (correct) messages Mrs. S received subsequently on her phone, I know how that bloke's wife felt!

At the end of the day it didn't matter to me that the game was off, but I can't get my head round how that message came to be recorded and played as the sauce of all knowledge on the pitch situation.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I hope you are not suggesting that Mr S may have made a call to...say Oldham Town? :shock:
Going off on a tangent...in their preview of Everton's game against Macclesfield, the Liverpool Echo said Everton had a history of Cup upsets, having been knocked out in the past by "Shrewsbury Town and Oldham Town". That must have been really embarrassing, getting knocked out by a NW Counties League team.

Going off on a tangent...in their preview of Everton's game against Macclesfield, the Liverpool Echo said Everton had a history of Cup upsets, having been knocked out in the past by "Shrewsbury Town and Oldham Town". That must have been really embarrassing, getting knocked out by a NW Counties League team.

:grin: