Top Three Players

I've not enjoyed this promotion push compared to the one under Dowie (when I thought we were unbeatable at times) and the first under Shez.

I don't think anyone from this team would get in my top ten.

I don't agree with everything you post Senor but, on this occasion, you may have a point. Dowie's team would absolutely DESTROY our current team!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[/b]

I don't agree with everything you post Senor but, on this occasion, you may have a point. Dowie's team would absolutely DESTROY our current team!!!

Most definitely. However I think a few players from this bunch though would have held their own in Dowies squad. Fleming, Gregan, Rubes, Eardley, Taylor, Hughes. Edit to say maybe Davies as well on form.

Edited by wozz_oafc

If we would have kept that team together for 2004/2005 we would have walked this league!!

03/04 :wink:

True though. People can say the league has been more competitive and tough to get out of with the additions of Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest, Leeds and Leicester over the last few years but that 02/03 season was incredible.

For example, the 4 in the play offs that season were Bristol City, QPR, us and Cardiff who finished on 83, 83, 82 and 81.

In 03/04, QPR nicked second spot with 83 and Hartlepool got the last spot with 73.

In 04/05, Hartlepool got in the final play off spot with 71 points.

Southend won the league with 82 in 05/06! Colchester got second with 79 and the final play off spot only needed 71 again!

Then last season we had Forest go up with 82! That would have only just nicked them a play off spot in 02/03. Colchester wouldn't have even made the play offs with the tally they got when going up.

02/03 season>>>>>>>>All

*Soccerbase rocks by the way*

And yes, that team would have done the one we have now. More through sheer strength and determination than anything. The fitness levels they had were amazing.

Just a real shame they were put together when the league was as strong as it has ever been. Wigan were top notch and splashing the cash (1.2M on Ellington, blimey), Crewe were very good with Ashton and Hulse up top and the four who made the play offs kept the pace all season. Tramps just missed out too with 80 points.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

03/04 :wink:

True though. People can say the league has been more competitive and tough to get out of with the additions of Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest, Leeds and Leicester over the last few years but that 02/03 season was incredible.

For example, the 4 in the play offs that season were Bristol City, QPR, us and Cardiff who finished on 83, 83, 82 and 81.

In 03/04, QPR nicked second spot with 83 and Hartlepool got the last spot with 73.

In 04/05, Hartlepool got in the final play off spot with 71 points.

Southend won the league with 82 in 05/06! Colchester got second with 79 and the final play off spot only needed 71 again!

Then last season we had Forest go up with 82! That would have only just nicked them a play off spot in 02/03. Colchester wouldn't have even made the play offs with the tally they got when going up.

02/03 season>>>>>>>>All

*Soccerbase rocks by the way*

And yes, that team would have done the one we have now. More through sheer strength and determination than anything. The fitness levels they had were amazing.

Well said...02/03 = My favourite season supporting Oldham!! Mainly because I cant remember the Prem days very well and then we went on a downer for a long long time.

There were some excellent players at the top 7 clubs us, Cardiff, QPR, Tranmere, Crewe, Bristol City and Wigan. (a late edit to say its a shame all 7 couldnt have been promoted that season as i think they would have all done well a division up) With many going on to play in the Premiership. E.g. Ashton, Hulse, Koumas, Armstrong, Fitz Hall, Earnshaw, Ellington etc.

IMO 02/03 is the strongest League 1 there has ever been, as there was a lot of money being thrown around at this level which I doubt will ever happen again. Im just glad we were lucky enough to be part of the race for promotion that season.

Edited by wozz_oafc

Definitely, wozz. If it had been anything like the past seasons they'd have been up by March and done so with ease too.

Way off topic now but demonstrates the wealth Wigan had in those years and the few previous.

Signed Stefan Bidstrup in November 2000 for 450k.

Released in June 2001 on a free transfer with 12 starts and 5 subs to his name.

:shock:

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Definitely, wozz. If it had been anything like the past seasons they'd have been up by March and done so with ease too.

Way off topic now but demonstrates the wealth Wigan had in those years and the few previous.

Signed Stefan Bidstrup in November 2000 for 450k.

Released in June 2001 on a free transfer with 12 starts and 5 subs to his name.

:shock:

Also shows what a joke it is when Sky talk about it being a fairy tale how Wigan rose to the Premiership from the bottom division. The fail to mention the fact that they spent more heavily (I would guess) than any other team in their division every season until they finally reached the Prem. Hardly a fairy tale when you just throw as much money as is needed at it until you get success. If you're saying that you might as well call Chelsea's first Prem title a fairy tale as well and all of the Scums.

Can I ask why John Eyre? I never understood how he became a cult hero.

To be a cult hero you have to be crap but somehow connect with the fans, usually by running about too much. :wink:

(Main exception to that being Eyresy.)

My favourite three? Well for the early part of the last ten years I was in, er, exile so mine are inevitably 2003 or so onwards.

In no particular order:

David Eyres

Andy Liddell

Lee Hughes

(VERY close between Lee Hughes and Richie Wellens).

For one reason. All three of them (four including Wellens) have ability with a ball that belongs above the kick and rush of 3rd division football. Their talents are different, but you can always rely on them to do something to lighten up an otherwise awful game.

I have doen a best / favourite combined view. Technical abilty alone does not make you the 'best', just the one with technical abilty. For me 'best' has to include, the way you play the game / represent the club, the entertainment you provide etc.

Difficult decision.

First one I decided on was David Eyres. A great footballer in the lower leagues, tremendous abilty to run at a quite frankly ridiculous age (most people in the game at that age rely on speed of thought not legs), generally a very nice block and the fact I was pleased to see him sign thinking we'd get a good year out of him - he then surprised us all with his committment and John Harbon to play for ages.

Next I am going for Chris Taylor - genuinely one of the most skillfull homegrown players we have produced in my time supporting Oldham and definitely in the last 10 years. A latics fan to boot, and seems to be growing into a better and better player (last few games apart). Runs and tackles as well which for a tricky winger is great. Someone on here has his picture and the words - Pride, Passion, Belief. That from an Oldham fan turned player is great to see.

Duxbury. The "Leader of the Latics" gave everything to to the cause and for a number of years was Mr Oldham Athletic in my eyes. The joy of the last minute goal against money-bags Wigan lives long in the memory. Was not a great time for Latics on the pitch and Lee tended to make some of the darks days more bearable.

Honourable mention to Shez. Class player, hobbled on to kepp us up on more than one occassion and now becoming a pretty decent manager.