minutes silence tonight

daznathe

Do you prefer a minutes silence or a minutes applause?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice

• Silence
    • Applause

Guest sheridans_world

It is a minutes applause on the >>fishal<<

Although I dont agree with it, silence is my preference. There is nothing more moving than 5000 people stood silently.

Applauding is normal for a football match, silence isnt.

Guest sheridans_world
Not at BP!

You know what I mean. People applaud all through football matches, its not out of the oridnary. Silence is...

I know I know :grin: I understand where you are coming from , its more respectful being silent than it is making noise

I was once present at Murrayfield Stadium with a minute's silence for Dunblane at a memorial match for the shooting there. The stadium was full and it was the most emotional experience imaginable.

:cardinal:

Edited by The Chaplain

I was once present at Murrayfield Stadium with a minute's silence for Dunblane at a memorial match for the shooting there. The stadium was full and it was the most emotional experience imaginable.

:cardinal:

I remember the minute's silence at BP.... That was very moving... Never forget it...

Maybe we should have a poll and put that view point to Mr Hardy if it says silence is best...

Not for tonight but next time after everyone has had chance to have a say ?

But isnt some of it family preference? I.e. didnt Ernies family want applause?

But isnt some of it family preference? I.e. didnt Ernies family want applause?

If it is a the families preference then of course that is more important... I think that was true for Ernies...

But I would of thought normally its left to the club to decide...

If it is a the families preference then of course that is more important... I think that was true for Ernies...

But I would of thought normally its left to the club to decide...

I would have thought so too, but at least ask them out of politeness.

The thing I don't like about applause is that, like we saw at Huddersfield, people have different styles and resort to chanting names too, which comes across as disrespectful when not intended.

Keep it simple, keep it silent!

Edited by pdw76

The practice of applause rather than silence was invented by Celtc, after a minutes silence for victims of the 9/11 attacks was interupted with sectarian chants (many sources of this are available). Its board believed that supporters could not be trusted for future minutes silences, and instead had a minutes applause, and brandished it "The Celtic Way". For supporters of all other clubs, I believe that a minutes silence is much more fitting, unless like in the case of Ernie, applause is specifically requested by the families of the recently deceased.

Edited by slurms mckenzie

The practice of applause rather than silence was invented by Celtc, after a minutes silence for victims of the 9/11 attacks was interupted with sectarian chants (many sources of this are available). For supporters of all other clubs, I believe that a minutes silence is much more fitting, unless like in the case of Ernie, applause is specifically requested by the families of the recently deceased.

Never understood how the disgusting behaviour of a few scot prats should reflect on the rest of us...

Edited by oafc0000

Never understood how the disgusting behaviour of a few scot prats should reflect on the rest of us...

They've invented some good stuff, but this wasn't one of them.

I was Hibs v Hearts yesterday for my sins and was appalled at some of the stuff I heard. It was like going back in time 10 years.

Applause is appropriate for a former player or someone else accustomed to being applauded for what they did when alive.

For recognition of other people or tragic events eg Dunblane, then silence is more appropriate.

Yep, applause to recognise the achievements of a life, silence to respect a tragedy. Someone who's lived a full life and achieved much fits well with applause. Ernies minute was a bit different, a mixture of tragedy and recognition, so down to the family choice.

9/11, dunblane, tsunami - silence.