well done

if you stay close to your man he cant turn you - simple. You can anticipate the guy turning you by watching where the ball is going and thinking quicker and cutting it out before he gets the ball or gets to where it is going.

Thank feck you're not coaching him. :shock:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see any abuse of Eardley, nor did I see him giving it back. I like him generally, but he was poor second half - their number 19 skinned him 3 or 4 times and was their best player by a mile.

pretty much what i was going to post.

had his good old 50p boots on again too.

we need 2 full backs,lomax was shocking absolutely -and he has been now since hartlepool away..

eardly...well if any scouts have been watching him recently ,with a view to signing him,and they give the go ahead to pursuit,i'd be surprised.

any before anyone wants to jump on my throat,i'm NOT an abuser of players at games...i'll save my opinions for the pub later.

can anyone say we have seen an improvement in eardley the last 18 months?

ok.maybe we saw him rise a little bit to quickly,but as shez world states,players are supposed to "mature" to their peak at 27 ish..

but the same mistakes are repeated week in week out-getting caught in possession,poor passing,having a nippy attacker skin him so easily..his poor passing ratio really gets to me...he is really a excellent crosser of the ball,but his basic passing is erratic.

maybe this "wales international" tag he has earned has become a millstone.

but i know he's a far better player than some of the performances he has churned out lately.

oh only my opinion like...and it would seem many others.

Edited by johnny punkster

if you stay close to your man he cant turn you - simple. You can anticipate the guy turning you by watching where the ball is going and thinking quicker and cutting it out before he gets the ball or gets to where it is going.

:lol: you're having a laugh, I try that and get turned quite a lot. I suppose I'm not a welsh international though!

If you stay close to your man and tackle him leaving him on the floor in pain and agony then he won't get past you!

come on then eardley fans - how the hell has he improved over the last 18 months? which areas of his game? how else would you eradicate his problem area of positioning...? by standing off even further??

You guys make me laugh, how anyone can rate this guy is amazing. granted he isnt the worst right back we've had, but id rate him at 100K and on a par with scott mcniven. he too had pace but couldnt defend or pass the ball properly.

I echo johnnypunksters views entirely.

Edited by shefflatic

any before anyone wants to jump on my throat,i'm NOT an abuser of players at games...i'll save my opinions for the pub later.

can anyone say we have seen an improvement in eardley the last 18 months?

ok.maybe we saw him rise a little bit to quickly,but as shez world states,players are supposed to "mature" to their peak at 27 ish..

but the same mistakes are repeated week in week out-getting caught in possession,poor passing,having a nippy attacker skin him so easily..his poor passing ratio really gets to me...he is really a excellent crosser of the ball,but his basic passing is erratic.

maybe this "wales international" tag he has earned has become a millstone.

but i know he's a far better player than some of the performances he has churned out lately.

oh only my opinion like...and it would seem many others.

For me, the games Eardley's looked solid in is when he's had a RW to play with. Now a RW has 2 jobs...to put in crosses and help out in defence when possible. Lids' legs have long gone. When Lids started here in his 1st season, he and Eards connected superbly and both complemented each others game. As Lids' deteriorated, Eards has had to find a pass elsewhere. Lids tended to come back and defend more but couldn't get up the pitch so Eards would cross early and often woefully or panic pass.

Lately it's been a different ball game. With ever changing RW's in place or Lids who frankly is utterly ineffective at most times (except, granted, at penalities) Eards has had no defensive protection whatsoever. And has struggled to find his man down the wing. Hell...Micheal Clegg forged a career at the top level by having Beckham help him out and be the easy outlet to pass to. With Smalley tonight, the RW worked well in attack for a good 60mins. Defensively, Eards was caught several times and Smalley never came back to help out (as Lids used to when he had the legs.) When you know you've got a man as back up, you can put that foot in more confidently but he can't as it is and has got into the mode of backing off.

I'm convinced if we can sort out the RW, Eards will gain confidence to get back to his best. Smalley had a great game for his return and I want him to get a solid run in the side. And to work on the defensive duties of the flank as well and their already decent standard of attack. Hopefully, that will see the best brought out of both. Given chance!

Edited by boundaryblue80

come on then eardley fans - how the hell has he improved over the last 18 months? which areas of his game? how else would you eradicate his problem area of positioning...? by standing off even further??

You guys make me laugh, how anyone can rate this guy is amazing. granted he isnt the worst right back we've had, but id rate him at 100K and on a par with scott mcniven. he too had pace but couldnt defend or pass the ball properly.

You make me laugh by saying the untouchable Gregan has hardly made any mistakes this season. Someone who can make that comment then slate Eardley really is beyond belief. White coats come to mind :grin:

I rate him because he is a good right-back. I don't think he has improved too much in the last 18 months. He is a very solid defender and very rarely anything gets past him. That's his main job and he does it very well! He got skinned a few times tonight but this isn't what Eardley lets happen week in week out. His passing is a let down, loads of aimless punts upfield into the stand but he gets forward and does contribute to attacks, he's got a lethal shot on him, even nearly scored a beauty tonight in the first half. Bet you'd forgotten about that? Also his numerous clearances in the first-half when put under pressure by the Hartlepool players, he even got abuse for a pass to Smalley in the secound half when if Smalley had actually gone and got the ball instead of just standing there he would have got easily.

I wouldn't want anyone else at right-back, he's by far the best we've had for a long, long time!

For me, the games Eardley's looked solid in is when he's had a RW to play with. Now a RW has 2 jobs...to put in crosses and help out in defence when possible. Lids' legs have long gone. When Lids started here in his 1st season, he and Eards connected superbly and both complemented each others game. As Lids' deteriorated, Eards has had to find a pass elsewhere. Lids tended to come back and defend more but couldn't get up the pitch so Eards would cross early and often woefully or panic pass.

Lately it's been a different ball game. With ever changing RW's in place or Lids who frankly is utterly ineffective at most times (except, granted, at penalities) Eards has had no defensive protection whatsoever. And has struggled to find his man down the wing. Hell...Micheal Clegg forged a career at the top level by having Beckham help him out and be the easy outlet to pass to. With Smalley tonight, the RW worked well in attack for a good 60mins. Defensively, Eards was caught several times and Smalley never came back to help out (as Lids used to when he had the legs.) When you know you've got a man as back up, you can put that foot in more confidently but he can't as it is and has got into the mode of backing off.

I'm convinced if we can sort out the RW, Eards will gain confidence to get back to his best. Smalley had a great game for his return and I want him to get a solid run in the side. And to work on the defensive duties of the flank as well and their already decent standard of attack. Hopefully, that will see the best brought out of both. Given chance!

i know what you mean re:lidds/eardley,but that ain't going to happen again with lidds.

smalley & lidds(in his prime at latics) -2 different animals -lidds tracked back,smalley cant tackle a bag of chips.

i'd have hoped eardley to have grown and moved on from that type of naturing role.

he can't be expected to be hoping the next lidds we sign will hopefully regain that form for him again can he?

if he want to improve ,he has to adapt..and i'm thinking he isn't.

what really gets me down though is his passing...under pressure he seems to act better...when with time its bloody annoying!

i missed crewe last season away-he had a belter by all account-why hasn't shez looked again at this?

i know what you mean re:lidds/eardley,but that ain't going to happen again with lidds.

smalley & lidds(in his prime at latics) -2 different animals -lidds tracked back,smalley cant tackle a bag of chips.

i'd have hoped eardley to have grown and moved on from that type of naturing role.

he can't be expected to be hoping the next lidds we sign will hopefully regain that form for him again can he?

if he want to improve ,he has to adapt..and i'm thinking he isn't.

what really gets me down though is his passing...under pressure he seems to act better...when with time its bloody annoying!

i missed crewe last season away-he had a belter by all account-why hasn't shez looked again at this?

Fair comments, but again, he is still learning. Maybe a few seasons of what he and Lids were doing and he might be the player we're hoping for. I'm certainly happy with his performances and age, to wait for that....as long as he gets a good RW partnership going again. Smalley might not be the answer but I'm all for giving it games.

As for Eards in the middle, not sure I buy this one yet. Yep, was good at Crewe that day but to be honest, I think either me or you could've been! They were gash of the highest order.

Final point is about "when with time"...agree that under pressure and less thought, better is produced. Seems the same with every Latics player...look at Hughes, on instinct he's cracking. Whereas with time and one on one, I think he's missed 7 or 8 this season. Frustrating...but seems a trait of a lot of our players.

The abuse Eardley gets is disgusting...

Ever thought of giving the opposition player any credit as well?

Agree totally with both these comments. I think its a joke that we abuse our young players like this. I have had a go at a few people in the crowd this season for it. The main stand is the worst for it. I really miss sitting in the lookers/new start mortgages stand which was full of Oldham 'Supporters' not people that just turn up to complain. I will have to change stands next season.

..........................esp when he is clearly far from the worst player (or even fullback) on the pitch.

Perhaps. But he IS the only full back playing in his natural position.

The personal abuse last night went way too far. He was, however, :censored:e last night.

whats to gain from it

i sit next to the people who gave him :censored: and i gave t back to them . . the catalyst was when eards turned a man away from goal and the set of 4 - 8 nobeds said he never tackles.. .. a lad turns his man away from goal who puts in a bad cross because of the angle and we get a goal kick ... thats GOOD defending

to be fair ... :censored: crowd last night but id rather them tossers dint turn up

and also Greagan had a go at the crowd after eadrs because of the :censored: they give NE

whats to gain from it

i sit next to the people who gave him :censored: and i gave t back to them . . the catalyst was when eards turned a man away from goal and the set of 4 - 8 nobeds said he never tackles.. .. a lad turns his man away from goal who puts in a bad cross because of the angle and we get a goal kick ... thats GOOD defending

to be fair ... :censored: crowd last night but id rather them tossers dint turn up

and also Greagan had a go at the crowd after eadrs because of the :censored: they give NE

Ever heard of full stops and capital letters CP? :grin:

I don't know what the schools are teaching you lot these days?! :wink:

I have never been one to abuse one of our own players but I do lose it every now and then. Ive called them all a thing or two over the years :) In my eyes its only over the top when you cant see past the last mistake. If a player does a mistake I tend go "&*&*(&*(& [play name]", if he does something good I praise him to high heaven :)

I aint no super fan :) Im just your average fickle football fan :)

Edited by oafc0000

Firstly let me say I am totally against fans who give our own players abuse, it's wrong and it helps no-one and nobody who recieves it will become a better player because of it.

But last night Eardley and Lomax were poor, it was clear that Hartlepool had identified Eardley as a weak link and had that winger run at him all night. And if we are honest he skinned him most times, including for the goal.

Shez's priority this transfer window should be for two full backs, it's the area of the team that we need to improve the most IMO if we are to get out of this league this season.

But once again, to those who do it CUT OUT THE ABUSE!!!!!!!!

Edited by ghostofcecere

Eardley's not a bad player, he's just never going to make a good full back. A good full back tends to have better postional sense, stops more crosses and doesn't get skinned on a regular basis. If Latics acheive their goal of reaching the Championship providing we retain Hughes, Windass, Taylor, Allot, Fleming, Rubes, Gregan then priority signings are full backs. Deano, Davis, Whittaker, Maher would be adequate 1st team squad, Kelvin and Eards reserves. Apart from full backs we'd also need to inject 4 more champ quality players into the first team squad. I don't mind the crowd doing a collective groan when a real stray pass is made but screaming abuse whilst pointing at the player is not on. Neither is Eardley responding, he's made a rod for his own back with his abusers.

Edited by Lags

Abusing players is WRONG WRONG WRONG. I'm not Eardley's biggest fan, I might discuss how I think he could do better, what I think he did that wasn't great. But I never ever ever hurl abuse at any player whilst they are in a Latics shirt playing on the pitch.

Time and time again I have used the same comparison - how would you like it if someone stood over you at work telling you that everything you did was bobbins? Everything. You're rubbish. You haven't got a clue what you're doing. You mess everything up. You should be doing this not that. Manager? You're not good enough to be a manager. You're no where near good enough to get paid what you do. You let the whole company down. You are solely responsible. You are crap.

What would you do? Think "Ooo, I'd better pull my socks up and please these people?" I don't think so! You'd think "Sod them". Why should I bother?

And if any of you here sit in the back corner of the Chaddy to the right of the goal as you're sat there - aren't you hard, as always. Picking out one guy who was sat on his own to have a go at. I wish you lot would go back to where you used to sit because you're doing my head in.

Abusing players is WRONG WRONG WRONG. I'm not Eardley's biggest fan, I might discuss how I think he could do better, what I think he did that wasn't great. But I never ever ever hurl abuse at any player whilst they are in a Latics shirt playing on the pitch.

Time and time again I have used the same comparison - how would you like it if someone stood over you at work telling you that everything you did was bobbins? Everything. You're rubbish. You haven't got a clue what you're doing. You mess everything up. You should be doing this not that. Manager? You're not good enough to be a manager. You're no where near good enough to get paid what you do. You let the whole company down. You are solely responsible. You are crap.

What would you do? Think "Ooo, I'd better pull my socks up and please these people?" I don't think so! You'd think "Sod them". Why should I bother?

And if any of you here sit in the back corner of the Chaddy to the right of the goal as you're sat there - aren't you hard, as always. Picking out one guy who was sat on his own to have a go at. I wish you lot would go back to where you used to sit because you're doing my head in.

youre spot on there. what compounds it for eardley, is the regular bollockings he recieves from the captain. who then goes on to do something stupid, and the fans chant his name for it.