Hughes substitution?

I know around where we was sat alot of people where shocked with the sub of Hughes, he looked completely fit too me,

Is Sheridan trying to get Davies and Windass used to each other or did Hughes complain about a knock?

On another note Davies did excellent again, however did anyone see how dejected he looked training at half time on his own?

Wouldnt look too much into it.... other than at last using the right substitution, at the right time....

Hartlepool were pushing up and closing down the midfield, looking to get forward.... was obvious there would be space for someone with pace to stretch the game... and Windy is now the perfect person to play someone in..... even if he was shattered...

... and it seemed to work... so well done Shez.... the fact it gave Windy and Davies a few mins together is a bonus for the future :wink:

Wouldnt look too much into it.... other than at last using the right substitution, at the right time....

Hartlepool were pushing up and closing down the midfield, looking to get forward.... was obvious there would be space for someone with pace to stretch the game... and Windy is now the perfect person to play someone in..... even if he was shattered...

... and it seemed to work... so well done Shez.... the fact it gave Windy and Davies a few mins together is a bonus for the future :wink:

Exactly the way I saw it.

We have 4 really good forwards and its good to see them all getting pitch time

I know around where we was sat alot of people where shocked with the sub of Hughes, he looked completely fit too me,

Is Sheridan trying to get Davies and Windass used to each other or did Hughes complain about a knock?

This went through my mind and is a little worrying.

However it could be just to give Windass the fitness. I also think that if Windass was fit it was the best ofption to take hughes off because Davies pace and Windass vision worked very well.

Just hope were looking too far into the decision and Hughes stays.

He does have a really good partner now.

My gut reaction was "we've seen the end of Hughes".

Then again, I remember Gregan going off to a similar ovation at the end of his loan period. Seemed like Shez wanted to look at options without him but then a permanant deal was negotiated.

It may just be that Hughes is still thinking things over - he didn't look like he was saying goodbye. Yet.

Edited by opinions4u

Bringing Davies on was an excellent idea. He chased their defence down and kept the ball in their half which was what was needed late on in a game we were leading.

He could have brought him on for either Hughes or Windass. I think Shez will have chosen Windass though as he would have been more willing to sit deeper, while Hughes would like to play in front of Davies.

On another note Davies did excellent again, however did anyone see how dejected he looked training at half time on his own?

my take on it was that he wanted to bring on davies. so he could either have a look how he plays with a strike partner, who is 99% certain to play with him again in february, march, april and may. or one who probably isnt, hughes can have no complaints, and probably didnt complain either.

My gut reaction was "we've seen the end of Hughes".

Then again, I remember Gregan going off to a similar ovation at the end of his loan period. Seemed like Shez wanted to look at options without him but then a permanant deal was negotiated.

It may just be that Hughes is still thinking things over - he didn't look like he was saying goodbye. Yet.

Thats initially what i thought when his number came up and that he has subbed him off so he can get a standing ovation and can clap the fans back before he leaves. Hopefully I'm wrong though haha :wink:

Hughesy has finally broken into the league 1 top scorers list which scrolls on SSN. I think with Windass here he can catch up Fryatt and Lambert to win the golden boot and collect the bet he placed on himself to do so (my source being somebody on here pre-season). I bet he's tempted to stay even if it costs him a few quid in wages....

My first thought when he was subbed was........

Shez is bringing him off first to give us that pace up front with davies, but mainly to show Hughes what he means to the fans judged on the standing ovation he got when he went off. Maybe he needed reminding that the fans love him and deffinately dont want him to go.

Shez is bringing him off first to give us that pace up front with davies, but mainly to show Hughes what he means to the fans judged on the standing ovation he got when he went off. Maybe he needed reminding that the fans love him and deffinately dont want him to go.

Who knows?

I still think that final year we've offered him might be the best deal he gets.

There were those around me who said, "Is that the last we'll see of Hughesy?"

But in hindsight it was an inspired tactical substitution, so I'm minded to think it was a footballing decision only. Other stuff (like the standing ovation Chaddy mentions) was just a bonus.

Here's hoping...

Shez simply wanted to give a work out for our new front two. Most of the scouts in the main stand left when Hughes came off (anyone else spot a few Championship managers there last night ... as well as Stockports probally looking for another goal scorer).

Davies seemed ok at HT and having a laugh, did ok and got slipped a nice ball or two. Shocked me to see him square the ball (best option) instead of shoting... but you really couldn't judge him either way against a tired defence.

Windass ... utter class! Won't out pace many defences, but found him to be a very clever player. The man I always loved to hate will become a legend in the next few months if he plays like that every week.

Agreed ... gut feeling is it was all in vein

maybe he was knackered,thats the most he has run around for a while,windass played him some fantastic balls he just had to work his backside off the get on the end of them..

we didnt look like scoring a third goal yet pool looked like grabbing an equaliser..so put davies upfront to blitz them with pace was the right move,meant they couldnt just push on for a goal,as davies pace would of killed them...

also the half time thing...all the subs came out together,but davies instantly peeled away from them and did his own thing....you can look at it two ways,one is he isnt a team player and is a loner,and doesnt want to interact with anybody...or he just didnt want to mess about knocking long balls back n forth and prefered to do his little tricks n flicks to warm up....

if hughes signs a new deal then great,i predict a great second half to the season....if he leaves.....i still see great things happening,were not the one trick pony some people think we are.

I saw it as a tactical sub. Bring on some fresh legs to take the pressure off us a little. I like Davies as a player but I just don't think he's a ruthless finisher like Hughes.

Give hughes one clear cut chance in a game and you can bet on him scoring it. Less so with Davies IMO.