Attendance

More like a willingness to get off their backsides and get some fresh air down at the footy.

Agreed in part...but given the dearth of successful teams in the area I'd expect Swindon to have more fans than us in general. In fact, given the dearth of teams around them, they may be wondering how they don't pull in more.

Actually, scratch that...given their league position then it's fair enough. If they were flying high they'd probably expect more. I'd say 6k would be about right...especially bearing in mind another couple of hundred probably don't make the game trying to negotiate the Magic Roundabout...

Edited by jsslatic

Agreed in part...but given the dearth of successful teams in the area I'd expect Swindon to have more fans than us in general. In fact, given the dearth of teams around them, they may be wondering how they don't pull in more.

Actually, scratch that...given their league position then it's fair enough. If they were flying high they'd probably expect more. I'd say 6k would be about right...especially bearing in mind another couple of hundred probably don't make the game trying to negotiate the Magic Roundabout...

Think Latics really need to look at the cheaper season ticket route next season works a treat at Huddersfield and Bradford.

Swindon average over 7000 at home , and have had over that in last two home Saturday games. Last night's attendance was, like lots of clubs, the normal mid week dip but about par . Swindon does have a large catchment area and little direct local competition.

Crowd at Burnley last night ? 3760!

Swindon average over 7000 at home , and have had over that in last two home Saturday games. Last night's attendance was, like lots of clubs, the normal mid week dip but about par . Swindon does have a large catchment area and little direct local competition.

Crowd at Burnley last night ? 3760!

Burnley have had alot of games recently, including the League cup semi at Spurs. However, it's well known our crowds have been dropping off over the past few seasons. OK we're 3rd in the league and you would expect that to be enough to get the stay aways back, and indeed it should. Lets just say we've had too many draws and non exciting displays at BP were the occasional punter attended thats not inspired a return to more regular ways. Once we get that exciting action back coupled with this success we'll get more inside BP. It's the only mix that works.

Edited by Lags

Monday’s game was short notice for a lot of people. I only found out about it on the Sunday and only managed to make it because a friend said he drop me off on his way to Manchester.

It wasn’t listed on the fixtures on sky sports text or on sky sports news from what I saw.

Swindon are similar to Latics in that many of their fans have Premier League shirts in their wardrobes, and are content with those memories plus Sky Sports.

Swindon are similar to Latics in that many of their fans have Premier League shirts in their wardrobes, and are content with those memories plus Sky Sports.

But dissimilar in the lack of Prem teams in 40 miles. I lived there fir three years and the contrasts in socio-economic terms, competition for football allegiance - and roundabouts - was/is enormous.

Edited by LaticsPete

But dissimilar in the lack of Prem teams in 40 miles. I lived there fir three years and the contrasts in socio-economic terms, competition for football allegiance - and roundabouts - was/is enormous.

As futcher's_briefs says, here we go again, but it's all worth repeating.

I don't agree with this theory that Oldhamers flock to OT, Eastlands, the Reebok, Ewood Park, Anfield and Goodison, instead of BP. Some do, but most subscribe to SkySports/Setanta for their 24/7 high class football coverage, with action replays, which you don't get at live games.

When we get the better (but not good enough) crowds at BP, it's because ManUre and Citeh fans come along to swell the gates. The same applies to our trip to 'uddersfield, which the Reds and lazer Blues seem to enjoy so much.

I accept that it was short notice for the rearrangement, but it was still a piss poor turnout to see the debut of a quality player.

I don't agree with this theory that Oldhamers flock to OT, Eastlands, the Reebok, Ewood Park, Anfield and Goodison, instead of BP. Some do, but most subscribe to SkySports/Setanta for their 24/7 high class football coverage, with action replays, which you don't get at live games.

When we get the better (but not good enough) crowds at BP, it's because ManUre and Citeh fans come along to swell the gates. The same applies to our trip to 'uddersfield, which the Reds and lazer Blues seem to enjoy so much.

I accept that it was short notice for the rearrangement, but it was still a piss poor turnout to see the debut of a quality player.

Indeed, here we go again.

Nobody is disagreeing with you about disappointing crowds. My post was about the fallaciousness of comparing Swindon and Oldham . Swindon has two main themes in its "community". The first is the established Swindon people, a solid working class community in the past, immensely proud of their town. The other are those that moved in really in the 70s and 80s on the back of its expansion. Many of those did have allegiances to London teams, but lots of their offspring now see themserlves as Swindonians.

Oldham - once an incredibly proud town, proud of its industry, its friendliness, its ingenuity and enterprise and now.....

Indeed, here we go again.

Nobody is disagreeing with you about disappointing crowds. My post was about the fallaciousness of comparing Swindon and Oldham . Swindon has two main themes in its "community". The first is the established Swindon people, a solid working class community in the past, immensely proud of their town. The other are those that moved in really in the 70s and 80s on the back of its expansion. Many of those did have allegiances to London teams, but lots of their offspring now see themserlves as Swindonians.

Oldham - once an incredibly proud town, proud of its industry, its friendliness, its ingenuity and enterprise and now.....

Whoooaahhh! I did not compare the two towns, I compared the clubs when I said "Swindon are similar to Latics in that many of their fans have Premier League shirts in their wardrobes, and are content with those memories plus Sky Sports."

You started your reply by mentioning Prem teams in 40 miles and then went off at a tangent about socio-economic blah blah blah. B)

Whoooaahhh! I did not compare the two towns, I compared the clubs when I said "Swindon are similar to Latics in that many of their fans have Premier League shirts in their wardrobes, and are content with those memories plus Sky Sports."

You started your reply by mentioning Prem teams in 40 miles and then went off at a tangent about socio-economic blah blah blah. B)

I think you're finding conflict when there isn't any! I'm not looking for any .

There are a range of factors in why some towns turn out more for their football team. And some of those are socio-economic, some historic, some cultural, some proximity to other sporting teams . If we don't look for reasons then we won't come up with practicable solutions. That's not blah blah blah . :)

Agree with your comparison but Pete also makes a fair point. It has been discussed on this board before as to which club coud be directly compared to Latics from a perspective of proximity to larger teams and catchment area etc.

For me the nearest I can think of is Walsall - smaller club - fiercely loyal hardcore of 4000 - within a few miles of a number of bigger clubs (Villa, Birmingham, West Brom, Wolves) :grin:

Agreed, but many/most watch these games with a sense of allegiance. They 'follow' their team on the telly...but they still, on the whole, will have a team, be it United, City, Liverpool...whoever. It's easy to follow a successful PL side on the box, it's even easier when the team you follow play near you where you live and you can justify it!

Just because these people don't go to the games, doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't impact on our attendances.

Swindon had an offer on the game. You could attend 3 festive fixtures for £39. Also under 7's get into Swindon for free when accompanied by a paying adult and as they have adult tickets available at £15 and student tickets available at £12 is it any wonder they get bigger attendances than us?

Also season ticket were priced at £229 and if you bought one you received a free replica 1969 shirt also a season ticket entitles the bearer to discounts including 10% off at the club shop and a £10 off voucher, cheap cinema ticket, bring a friend for £5 to selected games and a few other things.

Our crowds might go up we cut the price, did some marketing and threw in some added incentives.

Edited by Guest

Swindon had an offer on the game. You could attend 3 festive fixtures for £39. Also under 7's get into Swindon for free when accompanied by a paying adult and as they have adult tickets available at £15 and student tickets available at £12 is it any wonder they get bigger attendances than us?

Also season ticket were priced at £229 and if you bought one you received a free replica 1969 shirt also a season ticket entitles the bearer to discounts including 10% off at the club shop and a £10 off voucher, cheap cinema ticket, bring a friend for £5 to selected games and a few other things.

Our crowds might go up we cut the price, did some marketing and threw in some added incentives.

Ha ha, beat me to it by a few minutes :grin:

I think you're finding conflict when there isn't any! I'm not looking for any .

There are a range of factors in why some towns turn out more for their football team. And some of those are socio-economic, some historic, some cultural, some proximity to other sporting teams . If we don't look for reasons then we won't come up with practicable solutions. That's not blah blah blah . :)

I'm not disagreeing with your points whicht I described as blah blah blah, as I was only talking about two former Premier League clubs. In response you said your post was about the fallaciousness of comparing Swindon and Oldham, implyng that my point was fallacious. Therefore I pointed out that I was comparing the clubs, not the towns.

Agreed, but many/most watch these games with a sense of allegiance. They 'follow' their team on the telly...but they still, on the whole, will have a team, be it United, City, Liverpool...whoever. It's easy to follow a successful PL side on the box, it's even easier when the team you follow play near you where you live and you can justify it!

Just because these people don't go to the games, doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't impact on our attendances.

It doesn't matter how many Latics supporters watch PL on the box, and support the teams involved, when Latics are not playing. Those who claim to be Latics supporters, and deny supporting any PL team, but prefer to stay at home rather than go to BP, are the ones I'm concerned about.

Was I the only one who thought it was a really good turn-out on Monday?

I was fully expecting about 3,300.

The game had been arranged at two days notice. There would have been loads of people who couldn't juggle work at that notice, people with other commitments and a large number of people who didn't even know the game was on. Add to that the relatively poor home form in the last four months and I think a crowd of over four thousand was a good effort.

Was I the only one who thought it was a really good turn-out on Monday?

I was fully expecting about 3,300.

The game had been arranged at two days notice. There would have been loads of people who couldn't juggle work at that notice, people with other commitments and a large number of people who didn't even know the game was on. Add to that the relatively poor home form in the last four months and I think a crowd of over four thousand was a good effort.

I just can't envisage a Latics supporter not knowing the game was on, as the announcement to postpone it on Saturday said that it would be played on Monday. The rearranged date was not done separately.

I just can't envisage a Latics supporter not knowing the game was on, as the announcement to postpone it on Saturday said that it would be played on Monday. The rearranged date was not done separately.

The problem is that you are comparing people with yourself, or even people who regularly post on this site. These are not the people we are talking about. The majority of season ticket holders don't follow things as closely as we do and so quite easily could have missed the fact that the game was being played on Monday.

The only place that I saw that the game was on was on the internet. I didn't see it on Sky Sports News and it wasn't in the morning paper.

A guy in front of us at the game had only spotted it in the Chron when he got home on Monday night. Had he got home half an hour later he couldn't have made it to the game.