Attendance

Guest sheridans_world
Was I the only one who thought it was a really good turn-out on Monday?

I was fully expecting about 3,300.

The game had been arranged at two days notice. There would have been loads of people who couldn't juggle work at that notice, people with other commitments and a large number of people who didn't even know the game was on. Add to that the relatively poor home form in the last four months and I think a crowd of over four thousand was a good effort.

:shock:

Ok, hows this, Teams within 40miles of Boundary Park: 27

Liverpool, Everton, Tranmere, Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton, Bury, Preston, Blackpool, Accrington, Wigan, Manchester United, Manchester City, Rochdale, Macclesfield, Stockport, Crewe, Stoke, Chesterfield, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Doncaster, Rotherham, Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, Barnsley

Closest Team: Rochdale 5.03 Miles (as the crow flies)

Teams within 40 miles of Swindon: 4

Reading, Cheltenham, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers.

Closest team: Cheltenham - 27 Miles (as the crow flies)

I may have missed one or two, apologies. Line on google earth looking at the nearest towns :wink:

Anyway, Swidon has next to no competition for professional football, regardless of whether its on the box or not. Given the above stats, I would consider 6000 poor.

:shock:

Ok, hows this, Teams within 40miles of Boundary Park: 27

Liverpool, Everton, Tranmere, Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton, Bury, Preston, Blackpool, Accrington, Wigan, Manchester United, Manchester City, Rochdale, Macclesfield, Stockport, Crewe, Stoke, Chesterfield, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Doncaster, Rotherham, Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, Barnsley

Closest Team: Rochdale 5.03 Miles (as the crow flies)

Teams within 40 miles of Swindon: 4

Reading, Cheltenham, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers.

Closest team: Cheltenham - 27 Miles (as the crow flies)

I may have missed one or two, apologies. Line on google earth looking at the nearest towns :wink:

Anyway, Swidon has next to no competition for professional football, regardless of whether its on the box or not. Given the above stats, I would consider 6000 poor.

me too now these stats are to hand. shez out.

Hmmm... just to put the stats into some context.

Population within 40 miles of Oldham: 5 million

Population within 40 miles of Swindon: 500,000 and some cows (and a few orcharrrrrrds).

:wink:

Actually, given Swindon's catchment area and recent history compared to ours, I'd expect them to get better crowds too.

4211 was good for us in the circumstances.

The problem is that you are comparing people with yourself, or even people who regularly post on this site. These are not the people we are talking about. The majority of season ticket holders don't follow things as closely as we do and so quite easily could have missed the fact that the game was being played on Monday.

The only place that I saw that the game was on was on the internet. I didn't see it on Sky Sports News and it wasn't in the morning paper.

A guy in front of us at the game had only spotted it in the Chron when he got home on Monday night. Had he got home half an hour later he couldn't have made it to the game.

It was in the Chron on Thursday that the game might be rearranged for Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. On Friday it said Hartlepool had rejected those dates, so the Football League would decide.

I presume all these people, who didn't know about Monday, did know the game was postponed on Saturday. Every outlet for the postponement had the rearranged date as part of the announcement.

I undestand fully that most people don't take the same interest in day-to-day Latics matters that we do, but if you are going to a game that is hopefully being rearranged at short notice, then that's the time to take more of an interest. If in doubt ring the Club. Obviously they didn't take sufficient interest - hence the low crowd.

I'll wager that if Monday's game had been decided to be free admission as a gesture, they would have found out about it and turned up or, in the case of ST holders, complained.