are your jobs safe?

boboafc

in the last few weeks big firms in the uk have closed down woolies .m.f.i barclays bank laying off 1000 people , m&s closing down 26 of its shops , the list goes on , i know oldham has a high unemployement rate , but are your jobs safe ? (those with jobs that is ) do you think you might get the sack or the firm going under are you worried ? and even i lost my job 2 weeks ago too , and its hardto find a new job now , firms want you to work for them but when they say for 4 pounds a hour (thats the minimum wage here ) you(i) walk out , i have sent off over 60cv's to firms but no reply .

in the last few weeks big firms in the uk have closed down woolies .m.f.i barclays bank laying off 1000 people , m&s closing down 26 of its shops , the list goes on , i know oldham has a high unemployement rate , but are your jobs safe ? (those with jobs that is ) do you think you might get the sack or the firm going under are you worried ? and even i lost my job 2 weeks ago too , and its hardto find a new job now , firms want you to work for them but when they say for 4 pounds a hour (thats the minimum wage here ) you(i) walk out , i have sent off over 60cv's to firms but no reply .

Things aren't good Bob.

And they are going to get a hell of a lot worse over the next 6-12 months.

If I do get fired off, I just pray that the current redundancy terms agreed with my union are not ripped up first.

Good luck in finding something new and, you never know, better.

Edited by opinions4u

whyy is this a topic on owtb?

Perhaps you've never made it to a taproom but when you do, these are the type of issues that may be discussed!!

Anyway, it's gone 8pm now so please don't re-enter without an adult :wink:

As far as your question goes Bob, before Christmas, I thought a lot of it was media scaremongering and big company clever streamlining, however since the new year, I have not known so many people who have come out of work and cannot find anything similar quickly.

Good luck to all those searching.

Its a similar drill when looking for Graduate jobs. Firms are naturlaly not taking on as many graduates as they used to do on their schemes and considering that more apply each year for them it just increases the competitive nature of it all.

(those with jobs that is ) do you think you might get the sack or the firm going under are you worried ?

i work for the NHS so if my employer goes under, me losing my job will be the least of anyone's worries. There's a lot to complain about in the NHS but most of us can count ourselves pretty lucky in terms of job security compared to the private sector at the moment. Good luck with the job hunting.

My job role is locked into a several year term contract with the public sector body that employs my employer, so I am far from worried, especially as they know they have me seriously on the cheap at the moment and (small head on) couldn't possibly replace the necessary knowledge in the time they would need. Still seeing what is out there though. The world doesn't stop turning just because some areas are having a bad time. Good luck to all those who are struggling though, been there before, and it's :censored:.

I'm being replaced by a computer in Berkshire. Should have been finishing in Jan but luckily for me it seems that the computer isn't as good as expected so I've got a stay of execution until May (although this is likely to be put back further).

Nice, that was my plan for this summer driving around Europe in a campervan.... Now I have a misses though and doubt she'll be keen on that idea.

Depends on what sort of life you want to live but there are many countries better to live in. Not that I think Britain is a bad place to be tbh, I count myself to be quite lucky living here

i work for the NHS so if my employer goes under, me losing my job will be the least of anyone's worries. There's a lot to complain about in the NHS but most of us can count ourselves pretty lucky in terms of job security compared to the private sector at the moment. Good luck with the job hunting.

I also work for the NHS, and am not at all secure in my job. The government has made it difficult for the NHS to continue operating at such a loss, and with the rise of Foundation Trusts, many areas are streamlining services, replacing skilled workers with, well, not-so-skilled workers. I'm worried for my job (and there'd be zero chance of me getting another job in my chosen profession in the local area)..... but not as worried as some people, as you say.

You should take what you can get, Bob. If you don't, someone else will.

I work in the building trade, just finished a job at christmas (new police headquarters at ashton moss, opposite snipe retail park). Been transferred to Media city which for those who don't know is going to become the new BBC of the north with studios, accommodation the lot its located at Salford quays replacing the existing building on Oxford road in manchester. Its huge with quite a few years of work so hopefully that will give me security but i never count my chickens.

Nothing to stop you looking though even if you do take it.

I work in the building trade, just finished a job at christmas (new police headquarters at ashton moss, opposite snipe retail park). Been transferred to Media city which for those who don't know is going to become the new BBC of the north with studios, accommodation the lot its located at Salford quays replacing the existing building on Oxford road in manchester. Its huge with quite a few years of work so hopefully that will give me security but i never count my chickens.

there is a cracking diner near there as well, degsys truck stop i think its called!

the club has 2job's advertised if anyone want's to work for latics jobs at latics

i was made redundent in novemeber Bob so i know what you are going through

our kid works for a recruitment agency in oldham, and they have no jobs whatsover coming in and unfortunatley its going to get worse before it gets better.