Porter at BP next season?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to stir up the hornets nest, but methinks you have missed the porter point.... its not the sames as wellens or kilkenny, he had the option to go to a club in England, but he didnt, he gave us false promises and the fooked off to scotland... leaving us up crap creek.

Its not that the chose to take the higher wage. Its the way he screwed us over to do it.

Which club was that?

I thought he signed a pre contract agreement with Forest in late December, the day before he scored a hat trick and Calderwood got the push. What has happened to that if he is suddenly available?

Don't think he can have done that without being tapped up. It's within six months of the end of the contract that contact is allowed (unless rules have changed recently).

And if you think that he went to Motherwell for any other reason that to line his pockets at our expense then you're a bloody fool, man.

I have never doubted he went for money but look at my earlier post -

You have never been in that position and never will.

Get a reality check on life.

Afraid loyalty only works in the world of football supporters

Football is not a nornal job, don't try and compare it to moving company to do the same job for slighlty more money. it is nothing like that.

It wasn't just him who went for money. Mr Agent had a big hand in it too.

A position of what? Exploiting a cross border transfer for my own gains only to come back less than two years later to the same level. Probably not. Wouldn't want to make myself look that much of a **** to be honest.

I'll look out for you applauding him when he comes back with his new team <_<

People who slag players off for greed have no idea.

The trouble with supporters is that they are loyal to a club and expect players to be the same.

Players are just people earning a living like everyone else it just happens that their trade is football.

They will go where ever the wages are best on offer.

You may be loyal to a club but honestly think about it , would you be as loyal to your employer if much higher wages were on offer and you were offered the job ??

99% of us would do exactly the same and don't give me the crap that " i am loyal and wouldnt do it".

You will pobably never get the chance to do it !! That's the difference.

If a player is good enough to improve our team than i would have them back anytime.

And if you think that he went to Motherwell for any other reason that to line his pockets at our expense then you're a bloody fool, man.

We have to agree that footballers do move for the big money - I think we can all nod our head at that - but, it was how it was handled that will leave a nasty taste in many of us Latics fans. This sort of thing does not happen with every single transfer, it happens - of course it does - but not all the time.

Why is that? I think it's because not every footballer is the same, and presented with a market that is there for the taking - some of the more "ambitious" players will exploit every single loophole and regulation to wring out the extra cash from a deal. I think Rooney made Everton a few quid when he went to United, I also believe that if he waited for six months he could've left to United whenever he choosed, and Everton would've had nowt...

The word Loyalty has a different meaning for footballers, it's not the same as it used to be 30-40 years ago, and it's not what's defined in the Oxford Dictionary; in some cases it may mean giving something back to the club that helped you get to where you are today. Porter did not care....

(Am I right in saying that with Porter running off North of the Border for rock-all, he also screwed Bury over in a sell on fee payment? I know, we're going over old ground, but I can't remember sod all these days...)

Maybe people should remember Porter was getting Eardley type abuse for all of his first season, and still didn't win over too many in his second despite the goals.

Get real Coco, he played like bloody Gail Porter in his first season. When he grew a pair and got amongst the goals he was bloody idolised by 99% of our fans.

We have to agree that footballers do move for the big money - I think we can all nod our head at that - but, it was how it was handled that will leave a nasty taste in many of us Latics fans. This sort of thing does not happen with every single transfer, it happens - of course it does - but not all the time.

Why is that? I think it's because not every footballer is the same, and presented with a market that is there for the taking - some of the more "ambitious" players will exploit every single loophole and regulation to wring out the extra cash from a deal. I think Rooney made Everton a few quid when he went to United, I also believe that if he waited for six months he could've left to United whenever he choosed, and Everton would've had nowt...

The word Loyalty has a different meaning for footballers, it's not the same as it used to be 30-40 years ago, and it's not what's defined in the Oxford Dictionary; in some cases it may mean giving something back to the club that helped you get to where you are today. Porter did not care....

(Am I right in saying that with Porter running off North of the Border for rock-all, he also screwed Bury over in a sell on fee payment? I know, we're going over old ground, but I can't remember sod all these days...)

They did indeed have a sell on clause (Bury that is). I think it only amounted to something like £75-£100k on the figures which were being touted at the time, but that's still £75k they'll never see now.

Get real Coco, he played like bloody Gail Porter in his first season. When he grew a pair and got amongst the goals he was bloody idolised by 99% of our fans.

There were still plenty ready to jump on his back when he did something wrong, especially given his form in the second half of the season.

Football is not a nornal job, don't try and compare it to moving company to do the same job for slighlty more money. it is nothing like that.

It is -

Footballers are very lucky in that most of them are pretty thick and would probably end up doing nothing much in life.

Football gives them the opportunity to do something not to difficult for their abilities and earn a lot of money.

It is -

Footballers are very lucky in that most of them are pretty thick and would probably end up doing nothing much in life.

Football gives them the opportunity to do something not to difficult for their abilities and earn a lot of money.

That is NOT a proof that football is just like any other job.

There were still plenty ready to jump on his back when he did something wrong, especially given his form in the second half of the season.

What, you mean after all the transfer talk and speculation of Jan came to nothing and he looked utterly disinterested for two and a half months?

Im going to applaud him if he plays against us at BP as he was a class striker and the only 20 plus league goal scorer I have witnessed in my time as a Latics supporter.

We have had a lot of :censored: (real real :censored:) strikers play for us since our fall from grace with Porter being one of the very few exceptions. It was a pleasure to see him score a lot of those 20 goals and get us into the play offs.

What, you mean after all the transfer talk and speculation of Jan came to nothing and he looked utterly disinterested for two and a half months?

I think your memory is letting you down Dan. I was in the Lookers Upper in his last season and he was getting a barrage of abuse when he was hobbling around and playing when clearly in pain late on in the season. I don't personally like what he did all that much, but if I ever get the chance of lining my own pockets or lining my previous employers with the same amount of money, drinks are on me.

The answer to Coco's earlier question is, Plymouth. He wouldn't ever have won anything there either, so I think we can assume that footballing glory wasn't a factor in his decision. It's just one of those things. He did to us what we did to Warney, I'll balance the pair out and still sleep at night.

Did he not score the goals to get us in the Play offs when it looked like we were going to well and truly mess it up?

I guess we'll see if money rules over likely success. I've just listened to SSN on it's reputed that the wages on offer to Kaka are 300-350K per week after tax at the council house. That a third of all the revenue that city had last season. Just where does this leave football? Personally and to bring OAFC into this post, until the madness leaves these shores I only want to play in a competitive Championship. Should the unthinkable happen and get promoted to the Prem, I would ask TTA just to take the cash from the cow and come right back down without attempting to stay there. Plough that money back into better facilities for us the fans.

I think your memory is letting you down Dan. I was in the Lookers Upper in his last season and he was getting a barrage of abuse when he was hobbling around and playing when clearly in pain late on in the season. I don't personally like what he did all that much, but if I ever get the chance of lining my own pockets or lining my previous employers with the same amount of money, drinks are on me.

The answer to Coco's earlier question is, Plymouth. He wouldn't ever have won anything there either, so I think we can assume that footballing glory wasn't a factor in his decision. It's just one of those things. He did to us what we did to Warney, I'll balance the pair out and still sleep at night.

Did we accept the offer from Plymouth? Can't remember anything official.

Did we accept the offer from Plymouth? Can't remember anything official.

I think the club put it to Porter, he said he would stay as he thought we were going up anyway and no doubt so did the club the way we were playing at the time). The other side of the coin is that we could have offered him an improved contract at the time, but we were playing the game the same way as his agent was, just his agent knew an extra trick.

I guess we'll see if money rules over likely success. I've just listened to SSN on it's reputed that the wages on offer to Kaka are 300-350K per week after tax at the council house. That a third of all the revenue that city had last season. Just where does this leave football? Personally and to bring OAFC into this post, until the madness leaves these shores I only want to play in a competitive Championship. Should the unthinkable happen and get promoted to the Prem, I would ask TTA just to take the cash from the cow and come right back down without attempting to stay there. Plough that money back into better facilities for us the fans.

I'd heard 250k per week but either way that amount of money is :censored: .

I read recently that Kaka has a tithe linked to his salary that sees 12% go to his church charity - a cool £30k per week. So well done Mr Kaka for that at least. :applause1:

As for the OAFC part of the post - totally agree - if we were to go up to the Prem the plan should be to sign a few young and hungry players paying them a fair salary - go to places like the Emirates and OT etc and attack in the way that Hull City did before they lost their nerve - come back down a lot wealthier which would allow the club to subsidise season tickets for a year or two, improve facilities and build up that fan base - simple really :grin:

Im going to applaud him if he plays against us at BP as he was a class striker and the only 20 plus league goal scorer I have witnessed in my time as a Latics supporter.

We have had a lot of :censored: (real real :censored:) strikers play for us since our fall from grace with Porter being one of the very few exceptions. It was a pleasure to see him score a lot of those 20 goals and get us into the play offs.

I would applaud him too.

He's a good player who did what was best for himself and went to play at a higher level, it might not be the most exciting league in the world but he had the opportunity to play in europe and play in 4 huge games a season against Celtic and Rangers and managed to score against them both i think.

He played well for us whilst he was here - his first season wasn't fantastic but he was a good young player with bags of potential who was better in his first season here than most of our strikers have been since we dropped to this division. His 2nd season he played through injury for part of the season and still managed to score over 20, had he been injury free all season he probably would have got more.

You have to remember that whilst he lost the club money by going to Scotland we also let didnt offer Paul Warne a contract after earlier telling him he would definately get one, loyalty works both ways

:shock:

Class? He was :censored:e mate, Lidds used to bounce them in off his head. That BBC video suggests little has changed. If he was 'class', he would have scored 30+ in that team...

I was glad to see the back of him, just a major blow that we didn't get to pull anybody's pants down in the process.

Porter went to a particularly posh Grammar school. Unfortunately it helped leave him clever enough to shaft those who forged a career out of his limited ability.

Why didn't he go to The Championship? Because he knew he wouldn't cut it and so prefered to take a big pay day whilst anybody was stupid enough to give him one. Can't fault him, although if I ever bump into him up a dark alley he might find himself with painful knees to whinge about. :wink:

:censored:

:shock:

Class? He was :censored:e mate, Lidds used to bounce them in off his head. That BBC video suggests little has changed. If he was 'class', he would have scored 30+ in that team...

I was glad to see the back of him, just a major blow that we didn't get to pull anybody's pants down in the process.

Porter went to a particularly posh Grammar school. Unfortunately it helped leave him clever enough to shaft those who forged a career out of his limited ability.

Why didn't he go to The Championship? Because he knew he wouldn't cut it and so prefered to take a big pay day whilst anybody was stupid enough to give him one. Can't fault him, although if I ever bump into him up a dark alley he might find himself with painful knees to whinge about. :wink:

:censored:

Haha the bitterness just shines through there doesnt it. Is it the education? The money he is earning? His footballing ability?

Yeah yeah they just bounce off his head mate my dead grandma would have scored 40 with those balls Lids was playing. Bloody hell Hughes would have had 100 if he was playing. The sheer quality of Liddells crossing that season it was harder not to score. I mean he hit the ball so well it actually just bounced in off his intended target. Apparently the Motherwell wingers are just the same too just whip it in and it bounces in like. :blink: