In all honesty, I'm very surprised he hasn't been linked with a move. For some reason he never got wonderful reviews in his days at Tranmere, Chesterfield etc...even when we signed him their fans said he was 'alright'. Think he's really improved then at the club...but he's not even 30 and could definately play at a higher level. Say what you want about big fees for Taylor, Eardley etc...but over the last year Rubes has been our most consistent defender and it's bizarre he's not attracted attention. It would be different, I know, if he was 19 or 20...but he's still got another few years in him yet.

Say what you want about big fees for Taylor, Eardley etc...but over the last year Rubes has been our most consistent defender and it's bizarre he's not attracted attention.

Could it be that it's because you're not allowed to say that, as it infers a criticism of Gregan, that Rubes is overshadowed and goes relatively unnoticed, in the absence of deserved rave reviews?

Could it be that it's because you're not allowed to say that, as it infers a criticism of Gregan, that Rubes is overshadowed and goes relatively unnoticed, in the absence of deserved rave reviews?

But he does get rave reviews. After every game on here...plus he came 2nd in the Player of the Season awards last year, and I'd be surprised if he's not equal or better on the OWTB votes this time round...

But he does get rave reviews. After every game on here...plus he came 2nd in the Player of the Season awards last year, and I'd be surprised if he's not equal or better on the OWTB votes this time round...

I got the impression it was usually said to be his fault when we conceded - I must read some of these threads more closely.

In all honesty, I'm very surprised he hasn't been linked with a move. For some reason he never got wonderful reviews in his days at Tranmere, Chesterfield etc...even when we signed him their fans said he was 'alright'. Think he's really improved then at the club...but he's not even 30 and could definately play at a higher level. Say what you want about big fees for Taylor, Eardley etc...but over the last year Rubes has been our most consistent defender and it's bizarre he's not attracted attention. It would be different, I know, if he was 19 or 20...but he's still got another few years in him yet.

Rubes has been good for us, but if he was to play at a higher level for antbody other than us he would have to improve aspects of his game, namley his distribution which is woeful at times.

his positioning aswell because his pace will not save him in the championship like it has on few occasions this year for us.

i dont want this to come across a criticism because he has consistently been our best defender for the past season and a half.

Taylor and Hughes will get the plaudits and have been terrific BUT Reubs has me our best player consistantly this year w/o any doubt and possibly controversially would get my vote for the player of the season if it was awarded now

I got the impression it was usually said to be his fault when we conceded - I must read some of these threads more closely.

And if you did then you'd have read the one which warned of police advice that visiting fans weren't allowed to go to pubs in Southend :wink::lol:

I think without him last season, we woulda been in a real scrap towards the bottom.

Still, he certainly deserves a new contract after bucking up his ideas during the last few month. He's really impressed me of late, but you can bet we're treading down the same dangerous path if he's hinting he wants a contract.