We need to make sure we make the playoffs.

Why? To lose out in the playoffs - again - would be certain agony.

To be certain of promotion, we need to make sure we take 2nd spot. At this moment in time, that seems highly unlikely.

Still, a good run would see us right, but can you see that happening? We can't place all the blame on the one player. Surely, if the correct midfield formation had been picked in the first place, the service to the front two would have been better and reflected in the outcome.

I can just see Windass returning to Hull with no goals to speak of.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eardley is crap. Lomax is crap. Liddel is crap. Taylor is crap. Davies is crap. Make your bloody minds up! Or, actually, I tell you what.... SUPPORT THE TEAM FOR A CHANGE AND QUIT HURLING ABUSE AT THEM DURING THE GAMES.

Oh I agree. Y'know, we lose, say, 2-0 at Swindon or 2-0 at home to Yeovil. Fair enough. Bad performance, bad day. What I won't, or I pretty much think no other fan will, accept is today's showing. That was beyond the line for me, and most, including myself, snapped. Sheridan has always praised the away fans, and I'm sure he won't have any issues with the abuse the team deservedly got today.

However, I didn't hurl abuse at a single player. Everyone was as bad as each other, and they got, as a team, what they fully deserved.

Anyway, Lomax I like. He's having a poor run in the side right now which is a shame. From a longer period of games, both he and Eardley have been getting increasingly poorer because sides have found our weakness, making them look worse. They can't position themselves. It comes with experience, as I've said a few times, but they need to learn quicker. They both don't have confidence on the ball either, which is obvious by their constant punting upfield. It looks ugly, and we don't have the team-build to play like that.

If they're not getting the messages, well, there's a problem. We can't loan them out as we don't have anyone else and they're actually too good to be loaned out.

Yeah, Lomax had a shocker, and yeah, we can comment on that, but he's being made the only target.

Edited by UpTheLatics

I dont understand why people are saying 'it's not one players fault'. All most people are doing is commenting on Lomax's :censored: performance, which is certainly justified.

He is Dire....

Skinned for the 5th goal

Turned inside out for the second

Get Rid Amazes me how eardly was being kept out the side for lomax when danny jones was in the side !!

He is Dire....

Skinned for the 5th goal

Turned inside out for the second

Get Rid Amazes me how eardly was being kept out the side for lomax when danny jones was in the side !!

Pretty harsh to single Lomax out for the criticism he is getting on here. He's young, and relatively inexperienced and is going through a blip in form right now. Far more criticism should be levelled at Gregan and Hazell for their contribution. Both Lomax and Eardley were poor at Huddersfield, but the centre halves bailed them out by providing good support and covering. It just wasn't there today and Hereford had a field day.

I really wish people would remember that the likes of Eardley and Lomax (And Smalley.... and Allessandra...) are young players and lack crucial experience. This should always be borne in mind when we have such an off day such as today.

Again, League 1. If the players got all basic right all the time, they wouldn't be playing for us. I wasn't at the game so I can't comment on their effort, but I think we will have to agree to disagree on you hurling abuse.

League 1 is the THIRD best league in this massive footballing country, with the top league dominated by foreigners. All of the players should be getting the basics right 95% of the time, with a fair bit more on top.

Lomax is starting to fall into the Adam Griffin and Marc Tierney bracket.

Starting?

Pretty harsh to single Lomax out for the criticism he is getting on here. He's young, and relatively inexperienced and is going through a blip in form right now. Far more criticism should be levelled at Gregan and Hazell for their contribution. Both Lomax and Eardley were poor at Huddersfield, but the centre halves bailed them out by providing good support and covering. It just wasn't there today and Hereford had a field day.

I really wish people would remember that the likes of Eardley and Lomax (And Smalley.... and Allessandra...) are young players and lack crucial experience. This should always be borne in mind when we have such an off day such as today.

I agree and I've said in another thread that I would not single Kelvin out as a reason for our defeat today.

That said, in an all round poor/ crap / pathetic / sh*te team performance, kelvin lost the plot today and was particularly awful for goals 3, 4 and 5 (especially goal 5.) But is it his fault. IMO no. We all know the manager was trying to bring in a left back this week because the young lad is struggling. If he had succeeded Kelvin would not have played today.

Since Jones was injured and Lomax has reverted to left back, his performances have gone steadily downhill and it has been clear for a few weeks that he needs "resting." On Monday and again today he looked like a rabbit in the headlights and his confidence is obviously through the floor. It is now the managers responsibilty to deal with the problem. And after today he bloody well better had.

For those still slagging Eardley off. Well you are entitled to your opinion. All I can say is get the dvd's after the matches and watch them again in the cold light of day because you are watching a different player to me (I don't include tpday because they were all poor). And as for Monday night, I think you will find that it was Robson who crossed for the goal and not Monkhouse. There again I stand to be corrected. :unsure: It doesn't really matter though because there are too many who just want to jump on Eardleys back. The critisism isn't even constructive. All we get is that he is crap.

You can't exempt any of ther players from blame today. From 1 to 11 (or whatever number it is) we were awful. The manager should imo have made a change at 2-0. He should definately have made it at 3-0, but instead waited for us to get to half time and by then it was 4-0 and game over. The lesson for the manager don't leave it when it is clear something needs doing. It is YOUR responsibility.

Cheers,

Harry

You know what some :censored: is talked on here. Oldham are a league 1 club at present with league 1 players. Im a season ticket holder and support latics whatever happens. Reality check needs to be addressed here. We are a small club even in this division. And yes you can lose a football match now and again. Get a grip everyone. Play offs start of season 99% of people would have snapped your arm off. Get real everyone please.If we end up in top 6 its a great season

Well said that man :grin:

Note to the club, my car is full of petrol and ready to go where ever you get an offer for Boy Wonder Eardley ! I'll take him myself and bring Hardy the cheque back !

Note to Wardlelatic, my car is full of diesel and ready to go wherever* you fancy (probably Manchester somewhere) ! Please note however, that this is a ONE WAY OUTBOUND offer only !

Oh yes, I nearly forgot to mention. That you can shove your cheque up your arse.

* one word

reason for edit = spelling

Edited by Rick

Monkhouse on Monday night left NE for dead and Neal didint recover in time to stop the cross that Lomax put into his own net, so there is one example for you.

Ive had 3 glasses or Red now to help with the pain so I cant think of previous to Mondays game but Eardley has been responsible for a few goals this season !

IMO NE future is in midfieldn ot at RB !

Neals problem is he looks for the harder pass, lofting a 40 yard ball across the pitch that just ends up going to the opposition is not good enough when he could have played it square with the his own player and looked for the over-lap or even ( I know this is crazy) just played a neat ball into Midfield and let them do their job !

So its Eardly's fault that Lomax screamed it in his own net?

Now Eardlys biggest problem is his distribution, I agree with that. But he is young and that can be coached out of him. He is by far the best right back we have had for many many years. By far. He is solid, and it disgusts me the treatment that he gets. I dont want people to slag Lomax off, but Eardly is a much much much better footballer. One day all the mongs that slag him off will be proved wrong when Eardly has a good career at a higher level, and Lomax is left making a career at league 2/conference level.

Lomax has played most of his games for Latics at left back.

Most of those games he has given what I would describe as a solid performance. I don't see him being a first choice player in a higher league, but he has shown that he can hold his own at this level.

Rarely getting past the half way line, rarely overlapping Taylor - there are gaps in his game. But still, until recently, solid.

Remember, this is the guy who passed the ball neatly between two Everton midfielders at Goodison Park seconds before Gary McDonald swung a leg at it just before half time. His ball to Byfield at Crewe was brilliant - that put us 1-0 up too.

Recent performances have seen sides put him under pressure and he hasn't handled it well. What have the coaching staff been doing with him during this time? How has the manager looked to rebuild his confidence?

At the moment the lad will know he's not playing well, scored an own goal recently and that the manager is looking to buy a full back to replace him. It's hardly building him back up is it?

As for Eardley, while there have been defensive lapses I think a lot of the stick he gets is based on potential shown over the previous two seasons not developing as fast as we'd have liked. He was instrumental in the win over Hartlepool. A terrific attacking force against Scunthorpe. And given that we have only lost 5 games all season it's not often we lose a match because of him.

In Lomax we have someone who can do us a job at this level given the right backing from fans and coaching staff. I agree he will never be Roberto Carlos but then I don't expect that at this level. As for Eardley, if I was him I'd get the hell out of the club as soon as possible. He's a player who, despite not having a fantastic season, can do a job for any team in this division and many in the Championship. He's a lot better than the stick he gets suggests.

Time for the coaching staff to pull their fingers out and address these issues.

Time for fans to look in the mirror and decide if they want to support the team or destroy it with excessive criticism during matches.

Lomax has played most of his games for Latics at left back.

Most of those games he has given what I would describe as a solid performance. I don't see him being a first choice player in a higher league, but he has shown that he can hold his own at this level.

Rarely getting past the half way line, rarely overlapping Taylor - there are gaps in his game. But still, until recently, solid.

Remember, this is the guy who passed the ball neatly between two Everton midfielders at Goodison Park seconds before Gary McDonald swung a leg at it just before half time. His ball to Byfield at Crewe was brilliant - that put us 1-0 up too.

Recent performances have seen sides put him under pressure and he hasn't handled it well. What have the coaching staff been doing with him during this time? How has the manager looked to rebuild his confidence?

At the moment the lad will know he's not playing well, scored an own goal recently and that the manager is looking to buy a full back to replace him. It's hardly building him back up is it?

As for Eardley, while there have been defensive lapses I think a lot of the stick he gets is based on potential shown over the previous two seasons not developing as fast as we'd have liked. He was instrumental in the win over Hartlepool. A terrific attacking force against Scunthorpe. And given that we have only lost 5 games all season it's not often we lose a match because of him.

In Lomax we have someone who can do us a job at this level given the right backing from fans and coaching staff. I agree he will never be Roberto Carlos but then I don't expect that at this level. As for Eardley, if I was him I'd get the hell out of the club as soon as possible. He's a player who, despite not having a fantastic season, can do a job for any team in this division and many in the Championship. He's a lot better than the stick he gets suggests.

Time for the coaching staff to pull their fingers out and address these issues.

Time for fans to look in the mirror and decide if they want to support the team or destroy it with excessive criticism during matches.

Intelligent, accurate assessment. It is bizarre that the good young players who come up through the club tend to be the ones who come in for the most mindless criticism on this site (Taylor last season, Smalley frequently, Eardley all the time). You make a number of good points, not least that Eardley should get away as soon as possible to a Championship club with quality coaching that would bring out the very best in him.

I'm one of the most mellow people on here, I'm not mad at the fact we lost today....it's one game. I still think we've got a good chance of finishing second, but what I've said is my genuine opinion, not an attack on the lad but I really think he's sub-par and a liability and have done for a good part of the season. I'll support the lad as long as he wears the shirt, but if he's not good enough, then he's not good enough. The only other player in the team who I don't think cuts the mustard is Liddell, got to agree with BigFin, he just doesn't have the legs and Smalley is much more of an attacking threat.

Well said, absolutely agree with that.

It's funny, every Kelvin Lomax thread, gets turned into something negative about Neil Eardley.

No, it wasn't Lomax fault alone for yesterday, he was gash but as were others.

The fact is though, he's not good enough and we need a new left back.

On another note, have we had a steady left back who plays consistently whilsts we have had shez in charge?

It's funny, every Kelvin Lomax thread, gets turned into something negative about Neil Eardley.

No, it wasn't Lomax fault alone for yesterday, he was gash but as were others.

The fact is though, he's not good enough and we need a new left back.

On another note, have we had a steady left back who plays consistently whilsts we have had shez in charge?

Simon Chorlton ring a bell Melia.

The problem is we haven't permanently replaced him. All we have had are short term loans and Kelvin who upto the last few weeks has filled in admirably.

Cheers,

Harry

We had Charlton in Shez first season, if memory serves me right, he didnt start the season with us or end it playing due to injury?

Charlton did not start that 1st season under Shez. If memory serves me write, he was signed after the 1st or second week of the season. He definately played in the September as he scored that goal from his own half against Gillingham and that wasn't his debut.

Whilst he suffered a calf injury in the 2nd half of the season and we brought Alfrojee in on a months loan from Plymouth, Chorlton returned to the team and in fact played in the home leg of the playoff game against Blackpool although he missed the return leg, presumably through injury.

Cheers,

Harry

Blackpool play off report

Lomax has shown over time that he is OK as cover for either side, but he is playing :censored: dreadfully at the moment, as many players do at one time or another.

Exactly. Players at this level are not consistent all of the time.