In defence of Rueben

Just dragged myself around to seeing the lowlights, and even them it keeps crashing me out after the 4th goal, and I'm not really that bothered about watching the rest again to see the 5th goal, but:

The one where Rubes was allegedly making no effort to cover back - balls, if he'd sprinted back and thrown himself in to block a cross, the cross wouldn't have come and it would have been a simple square pass and a tap-in. By staying on his feet and splitting the options he at least gave the man the chance to make a cock-up with the final ball. Right decision.

As Diego pointed out, he was plainly done by the forward when he ended on his face. Deliberate foul and in no way his fault.

Just dragged myself around to seeing the lowlights, and even them it keeps crashing me out after the 4th goal, and I'm not really that bothered about watching the rest again to see the 5th goal, but:

The one where Rubes was allegedly making no effort to cover back - balls, if he'd sprinted back and thrown himself in to block a cross, the cross wouldn't have come and it would have been a simple square pass and a tap-in. By staying on his feet and splitting the options he at least gave the man the chance to make a cock-up with the final ball. Right decision.

As Diego pointed out, he was plainly done by the forward when he ended on his face. Deliberate foul and in no way his fault.

I see what you're saying, sometimes there is noway to win, but looks like he turns his back quite half heartedly. He may have had very little chance of stopping the inevitable goal but it just looks like the commitment isn't there. You're right about the third though, nothing he could've done. Whether he slipped or was fouled, he couldn't have got up in time and the he shouldn't be blamed for that.

Whther or not he's at fault for the first of those 2 is irrelevant to me though really and should be to everyone. Rubes has been outstanding all season, he can be allowed an off day.

I see what you're saying, sometimes there is noway to win, but looks like he turns his back quite half heartedly. He may have had very little chance of stopping the inevitable goal but it just looks like the commitment isn't there. You're right about the third though, nothing he could've done. Whether he slipped or was fouled, he couldn't have got up in time and the he shouldn't be blamed for that.

Whther or not he's at fault for the first of those 2 is irrelevant to me though really and should be to everyone. Rubes has been outstanding all season, he can be allowed an off day.

I completely agree, he could have made a right arse of himself and been at fault for all 5, he has earned himself the right for more than one off day in my book, and I don't think he is the sort of guy who will be happy with any mistakes that cost a goal. The earlier one - I still maintain he did nothing wrong. A younger Rubes might have got up and chased after the man with the ball and slid in, he actually did the best thing he could. Given a no win situation, he made his man at least make a choice. Granted it doesn't play back well, but that's not what it's all about.