Fao Shez

I've yet to see anything more concrete than malicious rumour about this supposed drink culture at the club, let alone drinking the night before a game.

It's ridiculous isn't it. Drinking the night before a game, after all the preperation that goes into everything! As if. :lol:

I'm gonna bully the next puff to make such a crazy accusation.

It's ridiculous isn't it. Drinking the night before a game, after all the preperation that goes into everything! As if. :lol:

I'm gonna bully the next puff to make such a crazy accusation.

Maybe it's all an experiment.

Half the lads I used to play Sunday League with would be miles better pissed the next morning. Yacking up by the corner flag & scoring a hattrick. Maybe after some of the recent games he figured he'd see which players performed and which didn't. Can't fault him for effort.

I think the drinking culture :censored:e started around the time he got a slab (or two) in on the way home from Swansea.

Maybe it's all an experiment.

Half the lads I used to play Sunday League with would be miles better pissed the next morning. Yacking up by the corner flag & scoring a hattrick. Maybe after some of the recent games he figured he'd see which players performed and which didn't. Can't fault him for effort.

I think the drinking culture :censored:e started around the time he got a slab (or two) in on the way home from Swansea.

Rocky always claims he plays better and only scores for OWTB FC when he's pissed, and puts his recent lack of goals down to sobriety. We haven't had the heart to point out that he started off playing up front or attacking midfield and has moved backwards on the pitch at a rate which is predicted to see him start the 09/10 season standing 37 yards behind our goalkeeper.

I've yet to see anything more concrete than malicious rumour about this supposed drink culture at the club, let alone drinking the night before a game.

how much evidence do you need ?

Captain Sean gets charged with drink driving on the way to training ! Seeing alcohol takes upto 4 hrs to get out the system gregan Must of been drinking to late knowing he had training the next day

One of our young lad has a big house warning party on a thursday night before the big game v hudds

Hughes is in his local more than im at work !

Most players can be seen out most sat and sun nights with senior latics officials !

Thats only a few examples !

The club discipline is poor imo

Apart from Gregan's DD charge, the rest - to me at least - is no more than suppoisition and rumour. And frankly I couldn't care less if some of the players like a drink or two if it's at least three nights before a game.

And in mentioning Gregan, you make a totally incorrect statement about the time it takes alcohol to get out of the system.

NEXT!

how much evidence do you need ?

Captain Sean gets charged with drink driving on the way to training ! Seeing alcohol takes upto 4 hrs to get out the system gregan Must of been drinking to late knowing he had training the next day

One of our young lad has a big house warning party on a thursday night before the big game v hudds

Hughes is in his local more than im at work !

Most players can be seen out most sat and sun nights with senior latics officials !

Thats only a few examples !

The club discipline is poor imo

Really?

Can't really argue with the other points though :unsure:

Apart from Gregan's DD charge, the rest - to me at least - is no more than suppoisition and rumour. And frankly I couldn't care less if some of the players like a drink or two if it's at least three nights before a game.

And in mentioning Gregan, you make a totally incorrect statement about the time it takes alcohol to get out of the system.

NEXT!

The length of time after you finish drinking alcohol that it will still be in your system depends on how much you drank and the period of time in consideration. Generally speaking, people metabolize alcohol at the rate of 1/2 to 3/4ounce per hour (that's half an ounce of absolute alcohol -- or one "standard" drink) -- roughly equivalent to: 12 ounces of beer, 10 ounces of microbrew, 1-1/4 ounces of 80-proof liquor or 4 ounces of wine. Therefore, if you consume three standard drinks -- regardless of how long it took you to drink them -- it would take you three hours to be completely free of alcohol. This should hopefully make it apparent that alcohol builds up in your body over time because the liver can only metabolize one an hour.

The other examples are facts when members of this MB either attended the said party or knew mates there

Allowing players to drink when big games are coming up is unprofessional ! Alcohol dehydrates you for up to 3 days, athletes and yes our players should be these need to be fully hydrated to achieve optium performance and not be sluggish on the pitch and lathargic !! Anyone seen the players looking tired recently ??

Players are allowed to drink fair enough but moderately during the season, thats of course if they are wanting to play at he highes level

Hughes being in the pub a lot ! Why are the club allowing him to leave ? :unsure:

The length of time after you finish drinking alcohol that it will still be in your system depends on how much you drank and the period of time in consideration. Generally speaking, people metabolize alcohol at the rate of 1/2 to 3/4ounce per hour (that's half an ounce of absolute alcohol -- or one "standard" drink) -- roughly equivalent to: 12 ounces of beer, 10 ounces of microbrew, 1-1/4 ounces of 80-proof liquor or 4 ounces of wine. Therefore, if you consume three standard drinks -- regardless of how long it took you to drink them -- it would take you three hours to be completely free of alcohol. This should hopefully make it apparent that alcohol builds up in your body over time because the liver can only metabolize one an hour.

The other examples are facts when members of this MB either attended the said party or knew mates there

Allowing players to drink when big games are coming up is unprofessional ! Alcohol dehydrates you for up to 3 days, athletes and yes our players should be these need to be fully hydrated to achieve optium performance and not be sluggish on the pitch and lathargic !! Anyone seen the players looking tired recently ??

Players are allowed to drink fair enough but moderately during the season, thats of course if they are wanting to play at he highes level

Hughes being in the pub a lot ! Why are the club allowing him to leave ? :unsure:

This takes us tantalisingly close to answering a question regarding Sean Gregan that has been on the minds of many football fans since at least 1999.

That is all true, and entirely contradicts your claim that "alcohol takes upto 4 hours to get out the system". It doesn't need to have been an especially heavy or late session for even someone of Gregan's constitution to still be over the limit the following morning.

The other examples are facts when members of this MB either attended the said party or knew mates there.

Nothing more than hearsay to me. It seems I have more faith than some in the ability of fans and their mates to make stuff up.

Entirely your supposition. Absolutely no proof that players are allowed to drink in the run up to games. In my earlier reply I said I have no problem with players having a drink if it's at least three nights before a game.

Edited by garcon

This takes us tantalisingly close to answering a question regarding Sean Gregan that has been on the minds of many football fans since at least 1999.

Call me a correctionist rather than a pedant, but it was 1997. B)

Waits for leeslover to point out "at least" - pedant! :wink:

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

:tongue::laught16:

Too late on the edit button Diego! I think that the Midlands culture of Marmite-drinking has dulled your reflexes.

I reckon we need to distinguish between a few incidents and a drinking culture. I'd be surprised if some of the younger lads hadn't got pissed when they shouldn't have from time to time, it's not the same as them being at it all the time or the club approving. For all we know Shez Tommy might have heard about some incidents and kicked their arses all over Chapel Road for it. Hughes - well, we all know he's a bit of a piss artist. I have to agree, it probably doesn't help if he's allowed to get away with it when the rest are expected to behave.

That is all true, and entirely contradicts your claim that "alcohol takes upto 4 hours to get out the system". It doesn't need to have been an especially heavy or late session for even someone of Gregan's constitution to still be over the limit the following morning.

Nothing more than hearsay to me. It seems I have more faith than some in the ability of fans and their mates to make stuff up.

Entirely your supposition. Absolutely no proof that players are allowed to drink in the run up to games. In my earlier reply I said I have no problem with players having a drink if it's at least three nights before a game.

I had a mate who was drinking in the same pub as Hughes in Scouthead 3 days before we played hudds at home, when he texted me at the time i was annoyed, 3 days will still affect the training in the run up to games - especially as he was hitting it hard

You wont spot Paul Scholes hitting it hard in any of the local pubs. He has even been told not to attend a charity function at the White Hart , when out injured, because it was the night before a game.

Its up to the manager to set the limit, even IF players don't like the rule or the manager. Latics appear very casual in this area even if you agree or disagree with the principle it gives reason for debate about bad performances.

Paul Scholes is one of the most (if not the most) dedicated, decorated, consumate and very well paid professionals of our game today, as is his manager - Taggart. To compare some of our very averagely (though better than most of us on here no doubt!) paid 3rd division footballers to Messr Scholes is very harsh and unfair.

Discarding the level of football, there is a very fine line, certainly when dealing with paid footballers, between allowing them personal time and complete focus to their employer, without making them unhappy/unsettled or indeed peed off. We were 3rd recently,...if there is a drinking culture....crack on!! :wink:

By rule of thumb on here, any type of rumour seems to go, yet ive heard stories of paul scholes being seen in macdonalds along broadway before training in the morning!! okay it may not affect you like drink but it can have an impact if done regularly

(like i said could be completely false, but seeing as how theres rumours on here with no hard evidence i dont see why mine should either)