just stumbled on this

Just found this on News now website on football transfers.

Sean O'Driscoll has confirmed that Rovers have been given permission to begin talks over the posible signing of Lee Hughes from Oldham Athletic.

Speaking after the FA Cup 3rd Round replay win against Cheltenham Town, the Rovers boss confirmed that the club were in talks with Hughes, who is out of contract at Oldham at the end of the season.

"Our problem has been scoring goals and we're in the market for a striker," O'Driscoll said.

"The Lee Hughes move is ongoing. He's out of contract at the end of the season.

"We've got permission to speak to Lee and it is ongoing."

Just found this on News now website on football transfers.

Sean O'Driscoll has confirmed that Rovers have been given permission to begin talks over the posible signing of Lee Hughes from Oldham Athletic.

Speaking after the FA Cup 3rd Round replay win against Cheltenham Town, the Rovers boss confirmed that the club were in talks with Hughes, who is out of contract at Oldham at the end of the season.

"Our problem has been scoring goals and we're in the market for a striker," O'Driscoll said.

"The Lee Hughes move is ongoing. He's out of contract at the end of the season.

"We've got permission to speak to Lee and it is ongoing."

Hughes said he wanted time to consider our offer and probably time for other clubs to show their interest and Donny are the only club to definitely make their interest known.

I reckon it would have to be a ( can't refuse ) type of offer to tempt him to finish his career there and I'm pretty hopeful he will turn it down. As has already been said he likes it at Oldham, he's settled in the area and he's got most of the abuse towards him out in the open and probably finished with in the eighteen months that he's been here.

Would he really want to go through all that again at Doncaster?

Then of course there's the commuting every day which would be three or four hours at peak times and with no licence that will be difficult. He could move over there, but does he really want to go through all that again and who the hell wants to live in Doncaster anyway!!

He could still sign the contract we have offered and then move at the end of the season if we don't win promotion.

If I were a betting man I would put a few bob on him still being here in February.

Hughes said he wanted time to consider our offer and probably time for other clubs to show their interest and Donny are the only club to definitely make their interest known.

I reckon it would have to be a ( can't refuse ) type of offer to tempt him to finish his career there and I'm pretty hopeful he will turn it down. As has already been said he likes it at Oldham, he's settled in the area and he's got most of the abuse towards him out in the open and probably finished with in the eighteen months that he's been here.

Then of course there's the commuting every day which would be three or four hours at peak times and with no licence that will be difficult. He could move over there, but does he really want to go through all that again and who the hell wants to live in Doncaster anyway!!

He could still sign the contract we have offered and then move at the end of the season if we don't win promotion.

If I were a betting man I would put a few bob on him still being here in February.

Save yer money

There is absolutely nothing in it for Hughes to sign a contract with a get out clause at the end of the season.

latics wont have given permission for donny to speak to hughes, Doncaster are able to speak to him when they wish, purely because all they have to do is offer 400 thou.

"permission to speak too" always sets alarm bells ringing, but in this case i reckon its just the media sturring things up

nothing to see here, move along

latics wont have given permission for donny to speak to hughes, Doncaster are able to speak to him when they wish, purely because all they have to do is offer 400 thou.

"permission to speak too" always sets alarm bells ringing, but in this case i reckon its just the media sturring things up

nothing to see here, move along

I thought any player with only 6 months left on his contract does not need their clubs permission to speak to other clubs????

Can anyone clarify?/

I thought any player with only 6 months left on his contract does not need their clubs permission to speak to other clubs????

Can anyone clarify?/

That definitely used to be the case and certainly remains so for players leaving England/Wales to go to another country but I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that it's now only 1 month when both the clubs concerned are in England and/or Wales. Can't remember where I read it but I'm sure I did.

Can anyone clarify?/

But if he wishes to leave before the end of the season, then he would need the club's permission unless a get out clause in his contract has been triggered.

Which means that Latics have accepted a bid of less than £400k.

Shock horror.

Edited by opinions4u

Yet if he was a available on a free at the end of the season he would get a much better wage and signing on fee.

I think the trade off is that clubs won't be making so many panic signings in the Summer. At the moment Donny are looking at a relegation that would set them back a long long way and are restricted in who they might be able to get to help them, in the summer they will have a load of released and out of contract players to try for