This is my opinion.....

I think Hughes is a great player before everyone has a go.

Would I like him to sign - yes.

An I bothered if he goes - No

The way some people talk on here makes me laugh, Hughes has shows some good touches of form this season scoring 14 goals so far. Is that amazing - I dont really think so. There are better strikers in this league, Fryatt, Lambert, beckford etc etc. Some people think loosing Hughes is the end of the world. The club have offered him a deal (a good one I understand) If he thinks he can get a better deal, then GO! Thanks for the goals but goodbye! Noone was good on Saturday, but Hughes was offside everytime the ball was passed to him, he gives away alot of free kicks too, He is not a messiah, just a good footballer at this level. We can loose Hughes, we cant loose TTA. If we can get a few quid - Get shut cos he certainly wont be here next season - regardless of how we finish.

So lets get over HUGHES, please!

CLUB COMES FIRST - LONG LIVE TTA!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I want him to sign? YES

Will I be bothered if he goes? YES, but only in the context that I think it would damage our promotion challenge this season.

Will the world end and Boundary Park be swallowed up into the abyss of Hell if he goes? Er, no.

If Hughes goes it's a blow, but not the end of the season or our promotion chances, our current problems on the pitch aren't in the attacking department....we'll still have players like Windass, Davies and Taylor who'll score goals. I really want Hughes to stay because it will help us maintain our promotion chances.

Hughes, if he aint signed his contract today on the 21st Jan, i cant see him signing at all.

The club should give him a deadline and why should they accept us a as being Hughes's 2nd/3rd choice backup option.

Ths guy should have signed as soon as it was offered to him IMO for what this club did for him and the stick we got from all quaters!

I'd love him to stay but its going on and on this now and its time he signed or did one!!

If he's no intention of staying, then drop him and replace him with Davies. There was enough who didnt feel like playing for us last week!

Just my opinion thats all!!

I have to say, Geordie Blue, that, like Hughes as much as I do, I agree with what you say. If he wanted to stay that much I suppose he would have signed by now. I can't blame him for wanting to end his career with as much in the bank as possible, but I also have to wonder that, if we hadn't worked so hard to sign him etc. when he was due for release, would anybody have done so?

If he goes we lose a player that could be the difference between promotion or not. If he wants to go, but stays, he might not be that player anymore. We should let him decide, say thank you very much for the goals and get somebody else in with the money. Only, we need to know soon, going on the last day of the transfer window doesn't leave Latics any options.

I can understand everyone's frustration but I think losing Hughes would be a massive blow. I don't think making deadlines is a sensible approach, just cutting your nose to spite your face. Hughes is going to leave it as long as he can, you can't blame him for that. i don't understand how if he doesn't go there is a risk to losing TTA? Fans getting emotional is all part of the game but lets keep some context here guys.

For the record if he does go I reckon we won't replace him with anyone who scores as frequently, and I do think it will cost us promotion. Just my view.

Hughes is definitely going, he's was told by Corney three weeks ago that we have to sell him. The only stumbling block is the price. Doncaster wouldn't raise their first offer of £200,000, they obviously feel they've got Latics over a barrell after the Porter fiasco. He's not happy about it but he's already in the process of renting his house out in preparation for the move.

Hughes is definitely going, he's was told by Corney three weeks ago that we have to sell him. The only stumbling block is the price. Doncaster wouldn't raise their first offer of £200,000, they obviously feel they've got Latics over a barrell after the Porter fiasco. He's not happy about it but he's already in the process of renting his house out in preparation for the move.

Conjecture or fact? No sources named, surprise surprise. Sounds like more hearsay

Lol. Is that the house that Latics own up in Delph/Diggle?!

Edited by danoafc

No, it's the house that Hughesy owns, in Diggle. He was in a rented house in Dobcross for the first six months, then bought his own place. Not sure what shoe size or star sign he is, but I'll let you know if I find out.......

No, it's the house that Hughesy owns, in Diggle. He was in a rented house in Dobcross for the first six months, then bought his own place. Not sure what shoe size or star sign he is, but I'll let you know if I find out.......

Several young ladies could tell you his, "shoe size," if rumour be true.

Er..........hang on a minute.

He is contracted til the summer, so if he doesn't want to go, then why not just stay until the summer. The club can't sell him without his signature.

Or, if he's like, you know REALLY unhappy about havwing to go and rent out his house and all that, sign the new contract?

Unless of course you are telling us that TTA have lied to us all publicly and haven't offered him one, even though they have gone on record saying they have...........

So Hughes is not happy about being sold to Doncaster.

Strange, I could have sworn he could just do a Nancy Reagan/Grange Hill then.

If i were Hughes I'd wait until the end of the season and then either sign a new contract with us in the Championship or bugger off to a Championship club then with a c£200,000 larger signing on fee.

Born 22nd May 1976 so that makes him a Gemini (like me) :grin: Hope this helps.

mmmmm football chairman not being entirely straight with the fans. Nah it could never happen. All will be revealed in the next 11 days, just letting you know what I know ..............

Cheers for that, keep posting along with all the others and their opinions. Personally I want Hughes to stay, but if he doesn't I'll still be here and Hughes will be just another one of those that I once cheered on.

mmmmm football chairman not being entirely straight with the fans. Nah it could never happen. All will be revealed in the next 11 days, just letting you know what I know ..............

Facts still remain that the club can't sell him without his signature. If Hughes is interested in stocking up his bank account I reckon a nice signing on fee is looking good come the end of the season when he's a free agent.

Why wouldn't he. Unless you are telling us that Corney has said "Lee you owe us, you are gonna let us cash in on you and not say a dickie bird".

He could have still opted to sign the contract on offer earlier with a gentleman's agreement that IF a mutual offer comes in the club would sell. Time will tell.

He could equally sign a contract with Doncaster now and screw any gentleman's agreements which have been shown not to be worth the air they are said with at this club.

All I go off is what he has said. He would like to play in the division above next year, and if it is with latics all the better.

He could equally sign a contract with Doncaster now and screw any gentleman's agreements which have been shown not to be worth the air they are said with at this club.

All I go off is what he has said. He would like to play in the division above next year, and if it is with latics all the better.

But he also said he was just waiting for a new contract to be offered. He wanted to stay here. Well the goalposts have moved since the offer, cos now he's wanting the best offer! he failed to mention the 'best' bit.

Imagine if some on here ran latics.

1st Jan: “Hey Hughsey, here’s the new contract, it’s really good, why don’t you sign it now.”

2nd Jan: “Why haven’t you signed the contract Hughsey, you don’t like me do you”.

3rd Jan: “THAT’S IT HUGHSEY, I’M TAKING AWAY THE CONTRACT OFFER AND I’M NOT BEING YOUR FRIEND”

In the real world patience is often used when negotiating a business deal.

So right. For both sides of the deal.

Hughes has honoured the terms of his contract. Simple as.

He now has choices.

Stay and sign.

Stay, don't sign and review in May.

Go.

If the offers from elsewhere are similar to those from Latics, I think he'll stay. If not, thanks for the memories Lee, but don't forget you won us over. It might not be so easy to do if you find yourself stuck on the bench elsewhere.

Imagine if some on here ran latics.

1st Jan: “Hey Hughsey, here’s the new contract, it’s really good, why don’t you sign it now.”

2nd Jan: “Why haven’t you signed the contract Hughsey, you don’t like me do you”.

3rd Jan: “THAT’S IT HUGHSEY, I’M TAKING AWAY THE CONTRACT OFFER AND I’M NOT BEING YOUR FRIEND”

that is very true.....however football and footballers are a different breed altogether

buisness deals are entirely different to players contracts....

and im guessing what is irratating most people is again..like the killkenny saga...the club has pulled out all the stops again to try and give a player what amounts to the most money we have ever given anybody in the last 5 years....

and now the clock is ticking down on transfer window time the supporters are starting to get restless about it...

lets face it we havent heard anything one way or the other,all we keep hearing is this club n that club are thinking about signing him.

he has said he wants to play in a higher division,and he can do this with us when we go up.

i cant see what the problem is....come the end of the season if still here and going off scoring rates he is on course to bag around 23 goals,clubs would still be interested in buying him then,so the obvious is sign the contract,and should we not go up the 400k clause is triggered and he can leave if offers come in....