Virgin Media is killing my cable experience

Matt

I had ZERO problems with NTL.

It may be a coincidence, but over the last fortnight and more recently, Friday and today - I've experieced total loss and partial loss of my complete cable TV channels - including my Sky premium packages. And the channels that aren't "lost" are sticking and freezing and blacking out. Not only that but my broadband keeps going off.

Did all the switching off and on business no difference. Called helpdesk - what a waste of my time, and the guys on the other end of the phone are getting paid for that? There are some serious administration problems in their help centre, not to mention training shortfalls. I explained my case to FIVE different people before I managed to schedule an engineer to come out - on wednesday morning. I'm pretty genned up on these things, I'm pretty sure the engineer will turn up on Weds and say "It's the exchange down the road, did nobody run a diagnostic?"

My finger is on the VIRGIN OFF button and the other hand is poised over the SKY ON button.

I was with NThell when i moved into my house, but i soon put a stop to that, they were charging me a ridiculous amount of money and i had internet access through the telly.

It just didnt work for me, so i moved onto Sky, and i love it, the only problems i have had have been minor ones, apart from total cut off, but that wasnt anyones fault but my dads!

I even collared two NTL lads outside my house a few year ago to run me some new cable through the living room, bunged em a tenner and they were happy as a pig in the preverbial!

Im now on Sky+ and its the best ever invention, i love flickin channels then seeing something i aint seen for a while press record and carry on flicking!

Its a god send with that bloody Enemadale, she records every one, but luckily watches them whilst i am out of the house, so i dont rip my own face off, due to watching it!

I had ZERO problems with NTL.

It may be a coincidence, but over the last fortnight and more recently, Friday and today - I've experieced total loss and partial loss of my complete cable TV channels - including my Sky premium packages. And the channels that aren't "lost" are sticking and freezing and blacking out. Not only that but my broadband keeps going off.

Did all the switching off and on business no difference. Called helpdesk - what a waste of my time, and the guys on the other end of the phone are getting paid for that? There are some serious administration problems in their help centre, not to mention training shortfalls. I explained my case to FIVE different people before I managed to schedule an engineer to come out - on wednesday morning. I'm pretty genned up on these things, I'm pretty sure the engineer will turn up on Weds and say "It's the exchange down the road, did nobody run a diagnostic?"

My finger is on the VIRGIN OFF button and the other hand is poised over the SKY ON button.

Think I said last week we changed to Sky. We were piddled off with he way they handled the Skyone thing, it was impossible to get a straight answer from them, on the sunday before they switched off a few minutes into 24 it went off and stayed off until 15 minutes into Lost. All other channels and BB were working, customer service said it must be an area fault, aye that only affected Skyone!!

Spoke to a decent bloke in disconnections, after waiting with that crab tune for nearly an hour. He was formerly of Telewest and said he couldn't believe how bad some of the Ntl lot were.

In the end we ditched the telly package, we had the movies/sports pack but he put it through so its cost us nowt and kept the phone and BB. We've ended up with a modem and 2mb BB, line rental with free calls 24/7 to UK landlines for 19.95. To be fair the guy though it was a massive mistake do what Virgin did.

Anyway imo the picture quality is better on Sky, but then we had a dodgy Ntl box down the street, we had problems before Christmas which were because it when it rained water was getting in and interfering with the signal.

Branson is a whiney little sod anyway, everytime he buys into something he comes accross as the peoples friend/champion, which he isn't in any way shape or form.

Edited by StipeTripe

We've ben on sky for years but keep threatening to get rid due to the cost.

We pay £42 a month for that. I think it's really dear.

Can anyone justify why I SHOULD pay that per month?

(and don't just say footy or soccer am - that's not a good enough answer)

Back to Rummy's post... I have had NTL for a around a year (in two seperate addresses) and have never had a problem, since it became Virgin (and I see no reason for this) my connection has slowed to what at times is a crawl, and last night I lost it all together for about 6 hours, which when you're trying to research is a right pain!

If it wasn't for the cost of having a BT line fitted I've have shot in seconds!

Back to Rummy's post... I have had NTL for a around a year (in two seperate addresses) and have never had a problem, since it became Virgin (and I see no reason for this) my connection has slowed to what at times is a crawl, and last night I lost it all together for about 6 hours, which when you're trying to research is a right pain!

If it wasn't for the cost of having a BT line fitted I've have shot in seconds!

As i told Rummy phone em up,give it em all barrells,spout crap like you have never spouted before,my connection is like superman getting changed since i 'had a word'..........and mention the SKY word.........

Edited by oafc2004

I can't get cable, but if anyone is up for forming a knacking squad for Branson, count me in. One cheese grater application to his neck for every minute of my life I've lost due to his abysmal train service, not to mention the downright ignorant attempt at customer service..... GRRRRRR :angry::rant.sml::clown::redcard: I hate him more than any other public figure.

As i told Rummy phone em up,give it em all barrells,spout crap like you have never spouted before,my connection is like superman getting changed since i 'had a word'..........and mention the SKY word.........

Done that...

I've got a techie coming out on Thursday now... if it doesn't get better then I get moody!

Yep, that too...

I can't get cable, but if anyone is up for forming a knacking squad for Branson, count me in. One cheese grater application to his neck for every minute of my life I've lost due to his abysmal train service, not to mention the downright ignorant attempt at customer service..... GRRRRRR :angry::rant.sml::clown::redcard: I hate him more than any other public figure.

I'm up for that...

It all rests on this "engineer" - Pffft! Don't make me laugh! I'm sorry if there are any cable engineers present, but they use the NTL equivalent of the NHS Direct Online service.

"Is there a green light on?" *oily rag pokes laptop keyboard with one finger* N - O. "The set top box is not plugged in..."

Anyway, it all rest on this engineer like I said, that'll arrive Wednesday AM. If he spouts bollox, I'll be all over him like a cheap suit. Then that's it. I've been given the Green Light by the missus, Sky here we come...

TBH Rummy I've never actually had a problem with an Ntl engineer once they arrive, we've had a few visits over the years we have been with Ntl since it was Cable & Wireless and had the old analogue box. It always been the customer service thats a pain, if you do go for disconnection I can PM you a number which takes you through to the service centre in Sheffield, I think I also still have the extension number for the bloke who sorted us out, who was so unlike the usual Ntl employee it wasn't true.

As an aside I have Ntl business at work, when you ring that customer service it always get answered quickly and thus far, sorted efficiently. I quizzed the bloke above about this he simply said its cos Ntl run it as a seperate business and put more resources into it.

I've been on NTL / Virgin for 6 years now, with only occasional problems. Although it has been better since I got a silver Samsung box to replace the crappy black Pace one.

Channels can freeze now and again, but a soft reset clears that. The broadband rarely drops now.

It is too dear though, but Sky is the same. Virgin have some great offers if you only want the basic TV package.

I've been on NTL / Virgin for 6 years now, with only occasional problems. Although it has been better since I got a silver Samsung box to replace the crappy black Pace one.

We've now got the crappy black pace one under the stairs just in case we decide to return to Virgin!!!!

My Sister got a Samsung one, mainly cos the Pace once was sparking with the DVD player, nice.