Super League XIV

Here we go again, 14 teams this year - Super League newbies Celtic Crusaders kick of this Friday @ 20:00 against the Rhinos a real :pow: opener for the Cardiff outfit. Incidentally Peacock has said Leeds will win the lot this year, well I think the Saints might have something to say about that...

V

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody exempt from relegation this time around?

Relegation from Super League is now history.... in effect it's a closed shop for the next three years. Every three years teams have to apply /re-apply for their francise by fulfilling certain criteria on £, ground, youths etc

Goodness.

Aye, it effectively cuts off the rest of the ERL world. Unless the RFL "decide" to "progress" a few international teams with expansion into Scotland or another Catalan side from Spain/France. The teams that are already in the club won't be going anywhere, in the next 5 years most of them (if they haven't already) will have new stadia.

I'm still surprised that Cas got in and Widnes didn't....

Aye, it effectively cuts off the rest of the ERL world. Unless the RFL "decide" to "progress" a few international teams with expansion into Scotland or another Catalan side from Spain/France. The teams that are already in the club won't be going anywhere, in the next 5 years most of them (if they haven't already) will have new stadia.

I'm still surprised that Cas got in and Widnes didn't....

Unless something seriously goes wrong I can't see any club dropping out of Super League to be replaced by another. If they do it affectivley means the end of that team as I can't see them surviving with the lost of revenue super league brings... it's a lot tougher outside the top flight now than at the beginning and looked what happend to the Yeds. Teams just won't be able to maintain that level of spending for three years on the fant hope they will get back in.

However, it worked in Australia (although there is no re-application .. just a few new team added) and look at the standards they've achieved on the field. If it assists us at an International level we'll have to just suck it in.

Unless something seriously goes wrong I can't see any club dropping out of Super League to be replaced by another. If they do it affectivley means the end of that team as I can't see them surviving with the lost of revenue super league brings... it's a lot tougher outside the top flight now than at the beginning and looked what happend to the Yeds. Teams just won't be able to maintain that level of spending for three years on the fant hope they will get back in.

However, it worked in Australia (although there is no re-application .. just a few new team added) and look at the standards they've achieved on the field. If it assists us at an International level we'll have to just suck it in.

I think there will be further expansion in Southern France sooner rather than later - RFL are desparate for England to have a strong Northern Hemisphere opponent to play against, and who better than the French? The New Zealand Warriors spawned a nation or great RL stars, and that fruits of their labour has resulted in them winning a few trophies lately - ultimately though it provided Australia with a decent close opponent to sharpen their claws on. Playing one offs against a half jet-lagged New Zealand side in August or any of the other home nations will not get us up to speed for the Tri-Nations or a "World" tourney...

I think there will be further expansion in Southern France sooner rather than later - RFL are desparate for England to have a strong Northern Hemisphere opponent to play against, and who better than the French? The New Zealand Warriors spawned a nation or great RL stars, and that fruits of their labour has resulted in them winning a few trophies lately - ultimately though it provided Australia with a decent close opponent to sharpen their claws on. Playing one offs against a half jet-lagged New Zealand side in August or any of the other home nations will not get us up to speed for the Tri-Nations or a "World" tourney...

Actually a few years ago England were pushed very very close by Wales in a world cup semi. The France idea has its merits but it could be argued that they are trying to boost the ability of Welsh and French players and may put the next franchise in either Scotland or Ireland both of which could easily support 1 Super League team I reckon. This could give the Northern Hemisphere a 5 nations tournament capability. Out of those nations though only France could support more than one team. Its just a pity that they can't seem to find room for a Super League team in the Rochdale/Oldham area.

Super League is a farce of a competition as is Rugby Leaue as a whole. The games can be very good though, hopefully will be a good game tonight. Was reading MEN's feature on the new Super League season and whoever was predicting the positions put Warrington 2nd and St Helens 4th, surely not!

Nothing more farcical than Association Football in the 21st Century.

Anyways...

Defending champions Leeds will take a step into the unknown when they take on Celtic Crusaders on Friday to get the new Super League season under way.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/7866936.stm

CC_LOGO1_small.jpg

Dirty Leeds (from): Donald, Smith, Senior, Hall, McGuire, Leuluai, Peacock, Jones-Buchanan, Lauitiiti, Sinfield, Diskin, Kirke, Ablett, Burgess, Gibson, Allan, Watkins, Mcshane, Manning.

Celtic Crusaders (from): Duggan, Dyer, Hannay, Dalle Cort, Blackwood, Quinn, Van Dijk, O'Hara, Bryant, Peek, Mapp, Chalk, Smith, Lupton, Flower, J. James, Tangata-Toa, Beasley, Budworth.

• 2 weeks later...

No excuses last week for the Warriors :lol: Hull FC put them down 18-10, Wakefield did themselves proud at Headingley, teams want to knock Leeds off this year - loads of pressure on them.

Warrington came up :censored:e again at Knowsley Road, :lol: Saints steamrollered the second half and won it by twelve points in the end 26-14.

V

As much as I like Super League, I do feel it's success is having a devestating effect on clubs like Oldham and Rochdale...too many of the town's Rugby League fans are happy to make 50 mile round trips or even sit at home to watch the likes of Wigan, Saints, Bradford or Leeds. Many similarities with football really.

How is unfortunate is Oldham....two more years in the SL and they could have gone far towards establishing themselves in SL....another year or two in the Prem and maybe they could have gone on towards becoming an established Prem or at least yo - yo Prem/Championship club.

Edited by Yard Dog

Warrington 20-40 Catalans Dragons. Whoops. :lol:

Leeds have stamped their authority on the league already, KR put up some tough resistance but Cookey's inability to get into the game cost them in the end, great to see Fozzard doing what he does best though. Pie 'eds got beat....again.....this time by Cas at home - the alarm bells will be ringing soon at the JJB and as a Saints fan, you can never get enough of the Warriors in disarray.

Speaking of Saints, I still feel it's going to be hard this year - I'm not expecting too much, just one final will do :grin:

Alright, can we do it then? The discussion on the non-relegation 'Super' League?

Personally, I think this has made a complete mockery of the game (as a Hornets fan). Really, what is the point of going to games now, other than supporting your local team?

As a competition it's been turned into an ablsolute joke. No relegation, the top 8 competing in the playoffs (apparently when it was pointed out that it was ridiculous that the team that finishes 8th could win the league, the RFL said that was unlikely to happen-so why bother extending the places to 8th?), and don't get me started on the 'Magic Weekend'. :mad:

Alright, can we do it then? The discussion on the non-relegation 'Super' League?

Personally, I think this has made a complete mockery of the game (as a Hornets fan). Really, what is the point of going to games now, other than supporting your local team?

Think its a great concept and brings us in line the NRL, which as developed a great standard of RL through the francise concept. I simply love what Super League as done for RL getting it out of the flat caps and whippets era!! Being involved in and around the National leagues for years as coach / player and can tell you that very few clubs now outside the Super League have very little chance of surviving or any ambition to get into Super league. Some of the facilites are simply amature.

However, the three year francise application does gives clubs like Oldham three years to get their act together and apply for a francise.

Widnes, Leigh maybe the only real contenders to ever (but to close to wire / wigan), but unless it goes tits up for Celtic (think they'll be ok on the playing front, its all about the locals taking to it) and Cas / Wakie may have issues with finance / grounds. Personally I think it lacks a Cumbrian team. The only way on will survive if its a combined team of work, White and Barrow... but this will never happen sadly.

Salford should survive, especailly with the new stadium. Crowds may not be massive, but look at Wire since they got a new stadium ... figures have gone through the roof as customers want better facilites.

Catalans .. simply have stuck fingers up at those hoping it'll fall flat on their face. CC finalists then followed by play-offs this year.

Quins, not huge crowds ... but I just can't see any justification NOT to have a capital team. Lots of local talent starting to come through, they had 7 locals in the team at one point last year. More been done with dringing kids into the game (along side with the Skolars) than in most areas in the RL heartlands.

Look at the crowds at Hornets, Oldham etc ..... the opportunity has been there for years for these clubs to get promoted from the 1st Division, build up a strong squad, crowd and finances and get a part of the Super League action. Yet they didn't, infact both clubs hit an iceberg and went down. For Oldham, this was a necessary to ensure survival by cutting wages on players ... thus relegation was a cert before a ball was even passed.

Sadly neither being in the Super League since year one as led to many fans going to watch Bradford, Leeds and Wigan.... so the League structure as it is now as been dictated to by the FANS who have choosen, since it's concept, to go to watch the local Super League team and not their local national league club.

So the clubs who moan about the closed shop have to a degree themselves to blame. Oldham certainly cannot have any complaints as they voted for the Super League / Sky pound and screwed it up.

rochdale, be honest they never have and never will be in the running for Super League .... Hornets fans must know and accept it.

Sorry for me anyone against the move simply wants to keep this sport in the flat cap era

As a competition it's been turned into an ablsolute joke. No relegation, the top 8 competing in the playoffs (apparently when it was pointed out that it was ridiculous that the team that finishes 8th could win the league, the RFL said that was unlikely to happen-so why bother extending the places to 8th?), and don't get me started on the 'Magic Weekend'. :mad:

Why is it a joke ??? gives a lot more teams something to play for

In the football league its possible for a team finishing 6th, a dozen points of third place, wins the play-off final (and a trophy that even the automatic promoted team gets in second does get) to get promotion. I find this much stranger

Mark, you are so wrong to say those opposed to the current franchise/no-relegation SL want it to stay in the past. very wrong. we just want a fair deal for all clubs. just imagine if the premier league suddenly stopped relegation...

He's not wrong, that's his view of it - by the same token neither are you, butI'm wondering if you've given the reason why ESL did what it did. What you are witnessing by and large in the Premiership is what's gone on in the Super League for the past 14 years. Teams come up struggle like hell, might make a fist of it for a season then drop back down again. Catalans would've gone down if they didn't have the three seasons exemption (or however long it was) - and now they're competing with the top teams. I'm not saying this is definite proof that stopping relegation works, but they were exempt like I said and in today's game they're capable of reaching finals and beating the likes of Wire in their own back yard 20-40...

My view is that I'd rather have a competitive 14 team Super League buit up over a number of seasons, than a 12 team promotion/relegation league where 2 of the 12 are just cannon fodder.