Super League XIV

Mark, you are so wrong to say those opposed to the current franchise/no-relegation SL want it to stay in the past. very wrong. we just want a fair deal for all clubs. just imagine if the premier league suddenly stopped relegation...

Fair enough its my view, but lets be realistic it's been a closed shop for many years. So is it just the concept that the team people support, outside of the Super League, are now unlikely to get into the top flight people are upset about?

If you look at the point system for awarding a francise, they are a resonable set of standands / guidelines at which they are saying a club needs to survive in the top flight. Clubs still have the opportunity to meet these standards in three years time.

Apart from Widnes and Leigh, as mentioned previously, who will ever get close to getting into Super League, and on top of that holding their own?? Even Widnes and Leigh have bounced up and down like a bloody yo-yo. Giving team three years to get their act together in Super League gives clubs the chance to stay there and make it a stronger compition like Rummy said. Bottom 2/3 are really fodder half the time and whats the point in that ????

Oldham have ambitions to get to Super League level, but we all know the problems Latics have with crowds, revenue it's never going to be likely.

Promoted teams in last ten years or so.......

Salford

Leigh

Cas

HKR

Hudders

Widnes .... have I missed anyone ?

Yes its Sky and it's money thats brought a lot of this about, without this money the game was dead in the water.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand what you are getting at, as it is the Australian way and has been successful. But I think you can probably, equally, understand that as a fan of a club excluded from the gentlemans club, I'm a bit miffed. Alright we would never get there for more than a season, but the dream is gone. There is now no hope to play at the top level. Nothing.

Teams that will get in with the points system:

Dublin points: 44,000,000,000,000

Cardiff points: 44,000,000,000,000

Widnes points:1

Everyone else:-73

I'm, relatively, a new fan to rugby league*, but this does nothing to make me want to keep watching the game.

*For some strange reason I tend (other than Hornets) to like the Dirty Yorkshire teams and hate Wigwam and Saints. I openly admit that is odd. However, Gateshead v Hornets next Sunday is where it's at.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

*For some strange reason I tend (other than Hornets) to like the Dirty Yorkshire teams and hate Wigwam and Saints. I openly admit that is odd. However, Gateshead v Hornets next Sunday is where it's at.

:OASISscarf:

But like said, watching this level of RL just does nothing for me as it's much to par with the standard I've played. I still go to National league games, although not been as involved with the Skolars as much in the past 18months since finishing playing but tend to go to Quins RL games oftern.

Got a ex Skolars V ex Quins RL game to play in soon ..... so got to get fit again. My concern is the ex-Quins players in theory should be ex-Super League players :shock:

My brother is the one that has dragged me into league. As he lives in Watford at the moment (very handy for away games) Quins' games look handy - with the one against Hull KR going to the head of the queue. Well except for Skolars v Hornets overall I suppose.

I watched the game when about 15/16 due to the usual following of pier pressure. But it could well get up there as the No5 sport for me to watch. At the moment it is just a case of turning up to Hornets games when they are local and the Super Duper League Finals. Which is good if you don't like Saints.

I really hope that the changing of the system makes no difference.

My brother is the one that has dragged me into league. As he lives in Watford at the moment (very handy for away games) Quins' games look handy - with the one against Hull KR going to the head of the queue. Well except for Skolars v Hornets overall I suppose.

I watched the game when about 15/16 due to the usual following of pier pressure. But it could well get up there as the No5 sport for me to watch. At the moment it is just a case of turning up to Hornets games when they are local and the Super Duper League Finals. Which is good if you don't like Saints.

I really hope that the changing of the system makes no difference.

Just back from the Gayfarm, where a 15 minute purple patch helped a workmanlike Saints beat an unlucky Huddersfield outfit who gave there all but were ultimately beaten by Saints sheer will in defence. Sean Long's kicking continues to be a worry but 2 wins from 2 and we're still in 2nd gear. Over 11,000 at the Gayfarm too.

Wigan... :laught16:

Edited by oafcprozac

Just back from the Gayfarm, where a 15 minute purple patch helped a workmanlike Saints beat an unlucky Huddersfield outfit who gave there all but were ultimately beaten by Saints sheer will in defence. Sean Long's kicking continues to be a worry but 2 wins from 2 and we're still in 2nd gear. Over 11,000 at the Gayfarm too.

Wigan... :laught16:

Glad to hear it Prozac, props to Longy but sooner we get a kicker in the better...

V

Glad to hear it Prozac, props to Longy but sooner we get a kicker in the better...

V

His kicking was shocking again, his whole technique is wrong - surely Wellens or Gidley can kick? We're getting away with it at the moment, partly due to our defence and partly due to the amount of tries we score. However, when we play Leeds, Bradford and even Wigan - Sinfield, Deacon and Richards kick more than their quota.

His kicking was shocking again, his whole technique is wrong - surely Wellens or Gidley can kick? We're getting away with it at the moment, partly due to our defence and partly due to the amount of tries we score. However, when we play Leeds, Bradford and even Wigan - Sinfield, Deacon and Richards kick more than their quota.

Rather not use Wellens TBH, Matty Gidley is a good shout and I'd have thought the natural choice at the moment. Can't be that hard though, I remember Baloo kicking one over from the touchline once :wink:

Rather not use Wellens TBH, Matty Gidley is a good shout and I'd have thought the natural choice at the moment. Can't be that hard though, I remember Baloo kicking one over from the touchline once :wink:

Well Seany Boy found his kicking boots last night but we were shocking! We sorely missed Leon and Gidley treated the ball like a bar of soap. Apart from Big Tony and Maurie we were pants! Fair play to Hull KR who looked a good side, Briscoe and Fox in particular as for the performance of the ref though, unbelievably poor and what a harsh pen to give so late on, CLOWN! Should be ashamed to be an Oldhamer Smith. Special mention for Hull KR's kit...WTF!?

It was a bit cack, (the game too) but total credit to KR, battled to the end - took the opportunities and capitalised.

On a lighter note, rumour last nite that Meli is going back down under and we're getting Jamie Lyon back! Don't know the full SP - but everyone was talking about it....

It was a bit cack, (the game too) but total credit to KR, battled to the end - took the opportunities and capitalised.

On a lighter note, rumour last nite that Meli is going back down under and we're getting Jamie Lyon back! Don't know the full SP - but everyone was talking about it....

Interviewed Lyon at half time on radio merseyside, said he still keeps an eye out for how Saints are doing and he'd love to come back once his contract at Manly's up.

Fair enough its my view, but lets be realistic it's been a closed shop for many years. So is it just the concept that the team people support, outside of the Super League, are now unlikely to get into the top flight people are upset about?

If you look at the point system for awarding a francise, they are a resonable set of standands / guidelines at which they are saying a club needs to survive in the top flight. Clubs still have the opportunity to meet these standards in three years time.

Apart from Widnes and Leigh, as mentioned previously, who will ever get close to getting into Super League, and on top of that holding their own?? Even Widnes and Leigh have bounced up and down like a bloody yo-yo. Giving team three years to get their act together in Super League gives clubs the chance to stay there and make it a stronger compition like Rummy said. Bottom 2/3 are really fodder half the time and whats the point in that ????

Oldham have ambitions to get to Super League level, but we all know the problems Latics have with crowds, revenue it's never going to be likely.

Promoted teams in last ten years or so.......

Salford

Leigh

Cas

HKR

Hudders

Widnes .... have I missed anyone ?

Yes its Sky and it's money thats brought a lot of this about, without this money the game was dead in the water.

You have your views (which I don't agree with). I have mine.

Do you think Super League will expand to 16 teams next time round ? I would hope so.

And this might seem contradictory of my general views in some respects, but I hope they look into the idea of a Super League 2 again.

Leeds put on a great show, but ultimately they were finished from the start of the second half.

Yorkshire! Yorkshire! Yorkshire!

Pah. Pansies...

Leeds tosspot Kallum Watkins was dying to smack somebody all night, he was first on the scene and had to be dragged away from the Peacock scrap, and he should have got a belt in the fight at the end - he jumped staight in an started pushing people around. Can't wait for somebody to knock him out.

Roberston's little kick in field to Stewart was class above - fast hands, quick thinking - a Manly second half blitzkrieg - it could've been a lot more, we felt that they took their foot off the gas...

One of the better Club Challenge games I've seen, great stuff.

Warringtonwolves.png

England coach Tony Smith has made a shock return to Super League with struggling Warrington Wolves. The 42-year-old has been named head of coaching and rugby and will work alongside present Wolves coach James Lowes, who becomes first-team coach. Smith has signed a two-and-a-half-year deal at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_leag...ton/7925533.stm

There goes my Wolves for the Wooden Spoon bet...

Salford for the wooden spoon. Put your mortgage on it.

Just getting ready to set off to Knowsley Road, strangely enough given how well our oppponents have played against us this season i'm sure we're in for another tough night. Hopefully Leeds will wipe the floor with the Pie'eds.

Just getting ready to set off to Knowsley Road, strangely enough given how well our oppponents have played against us this season i'm sure we're in for another tough night. Hopefully Leeds will wipe the floor with the Pie'eds.

Have you seen the way Wigan are playing now? I think Wigan could win. All depends if Wigan play as good as they did agaisnt Bratford

Can't make it tonite Prozac, shout em on from me "You fill up my senses, like a gallon of Greenhalls..."

All too easy tonight, Leon MOM imo, but we'll have to raise our game vs The Rhinos next week. Seany Boy's kicking has improved, still missed 2 or 3 but defo getting his eye in. Very disappointing we eased up to let a pisspoor side score two very easy tries and their following was :censored:e too!

Edited by oafcprozac

Why do so many people on here support St Helens? I am fairly certain Oldham have a rugby league team, actually I am certain they do I go watching them. I am sure if an Oldham born Man Utd fan came on here it would go down well.

Why do so many people on here support St Helens? I am fairly certain Oldham have a rugby league team, actually I am certain they do I go watching them. I am sure if an Oldham born Man Utd fan came on here it would go down well.

I followed Oldham everywhere before the fans were stabbed in the back by Jim Quinn and the council, Watersheddings WAS Rugby League in Oldham for me, when it met its demise and RL came to BP the writing was on the wall. Although I regularly go and watch Oldham, it is not the same and I have had serious personal grievances with Hamilton which has meant another nail in the coffin for my allegiance to my local team. Oldham is grossly overpriced for 3rd division Rugby for the price of an extra pint you can watch the top-class players in Super League (although way off the Aussies) - my Season Ticket at saints was £119.

I followed Oldham everywhere before the fans were stabbed in the back by Jim Quinn and the council, Watersheddings WAS Rugby League in Oldham for me, when it met its demise and RL came to BP the writing was on the wall. Although I regularly go and watch Oldham, it is not the same and I have had serious personal grievances with Hamilton which has meant another nail in the coffin for my allegiance to my local team. Oldham is grossly overpriced for 3rd division Rugby for the price of an extra pint you can watch the top-class players in Super League (although way off the Aussies) - my Season Ticket at saints was £119.

Great answer I can't argue with any of that, sad day for this town when they knocked Watersheddings down.