Pog's Thread

Guest testing

Pogs has some pretty big holes in his game.

His dealing with crosses, whilst a lot better than it used to be, is still iffy at times and his kicking is far from perfect. But for this level he's a good shot stopper... any yeah, he makes mistakes, but you're going to get that at this level, and there are few 'keepers in this league who I'd swap him for - at least on one of his good days.

It was a feature of lots of our tighter wins earlier in the season that Les pulled off a great save, often towards the end of the game. I think he's been better all things told than he was under Davros, his kicking (whilst still far from great) is a country mile better and he has been more consistent under crosses. Key member of the squad.

If he was as good in all departments as his shot stopping he wouldn't be in div 3. Saying that I wouldn't swap him with any other in this league.

i'll second that!!! and that is why he is wearing an oldham shirt..... if he was as good as some want him to be, he would not be at BP...

he is the only keeper i have faith in when we conceed a penalty...

Pogs is a LEAGUE 1 KEEPER

Alot of people at Latics seem to forget that very important fact, and think he should be a spider man in goal, with an amazing kicking ability and the reflexes of a god. If he had those attributes which alot criticise him for not doing. He simply wouldnt be at Latics.

All League 1 keepers have flaws in their games. That's why they are at League 1 clubs. Poggy in comparison with league 1 keepers is at the top end of the scale, and easily one of the better ones. His clean sheets to games ratio proves that.

Over the seasons he's been at Latics. He's improved no end to the majority of his game. His Kicking for a start, i remember the time not one Latics player would pass it back to him.........or if they occasionally did, everyone would gasp at the thought of what was about to happen. His shot stopping abilities has always been 2nd to none in this league. His commanding of his box has improved, and everyone knows just how good he is, when he has a back four infront of him he's confident in.

Poggy used to scare the heck out of me when he first came here. Not anymore. I cant think of any other keeper in league 1, i'd rather have than him. Especially when it comes too the opposition having a penalty.

Poggy for a League 1 keeper, is better than anyone we could ever think of bringing in permanantly at this level. (Lee Grant was never going to be Permanant)

I guess some people still need a scapegoat after games were we dont win, with rocky coming into a bit of good form i guess pogs is in the firing line. How some one could suggest that a latics player would try their best to mess a pass up needs their head testing and as far as i know pogs has no reason to have any bad blood against us to do such a thing, so i believe this is someone lookin to have a good moan over nothing

I would agree generally with whats been said about Pogs.

Good shot stopper.

His kicking still does leave a lot to be desired.

Prone to the odd clanger.

Has made some great and crucial saves this season that have earned us points.

We are in league 1 (not the premiership)

I wouldn't swap him for anyone I've seen in this Division this season.

Poggy has had an exellent season. He's by far the best in the division and he's an asset to our squad. A keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him. Think back to Bradford when we had to win to stay up Poggy showed what he's all about.

Yes he's made very few mistakes this season, but he's made far less than anyone else.

well since he came back i would say on the whole he has been superb this season. yes he was at mistakes for both goals on saturday but how many crucial saves has he made this season?

he is also not too far off breaking his own clean sheets record for this club so i think that someone is more than likely lookin for someone to slag off.

One of the best keepers in the league, as someone has previously said, if he didnt have some flaws in his game he wouldn't be playing for Oldham Athletic in League One.

The only keeper we have had who I think has been better than Pogs in recent times is Lee Grant who has come from the League above.

On the subject of keepers Chris Day is one of the worst i've seen, never came off his line and every shot hit across him went in.

Edited by Butter

• 2 weeks later...

all iv got to say is pogs is easy the best keeper in league 1 and could easy start in the championship, with any hope he will get us there next season last time we got in the play offs he was our keeper so im sticking by les, the only problem is when he gets the ball he always boots it 3/4 of the way up the pitch

Just checked, and we're on 16 clean sheets for the season (maybe 17, I don't know if that includes yesterday) - didn't he set the record at 18 under dowie?

And people are saying he's crap... makes you laugh eh? they must sit in the George Hill upper!

Guest oa_exile

Pog's is actually a better keeper since his return , his kicking has improved a lot.

He has aways been a good shot stopper but does not command the area enough and his communication with his tem mates needs to be worked on.

Nah, you're all wrong! Pogs all the way man. A great keeper. Shezzer obviously showed faith in him in bringing him back to Boundary Park and I wouldn't go against the mighty Sheridan's word. Show me a keeper that doesn't make mistakes!? Paul Robinson - Englands number one (which isn't hard if you ask me nowadays!) is a good shot stopper but continually gets caught off his line. If it wasn't for David James (who currently shares the record for Premiership clean sheets with David Seaman) then Portsmouth wouldn't be as high as they are but he continually makes massive gaffs! Keep the faith in Pogs my blue bretherin and he won't steer us wrong!