Shamrock Rovers - The Dream Comes True

Very proud of Rovers' performance tonight. The normal capacity for the new stadium is 3,000 until the new stand is completed. Just a shame Rovers couldn't play in the green and white hoops.

Leading scorer Gary Twigg was rested until late in the game, as Rovers have a massive game at the weekend against their arch rivals and reigning champions Bohemian FC. Rovers are two points behind Bohs who have a game in hand, but they still have to play each other twice.

We watched it in a local pub and met an Irish bloke from Drogheda, who claimed to have a Rovers shirt awaiting washing at home. He's just taken the tenancy of a local pub and plans to show Setanta Ireland League of Ireland matches (if necessary upstairs as a private party :wink: ). So, subject to this weekend's result, if the championship stays on a knife-edge we may be able to watch the key games live, without the expense of going to Dublin.

All being well, this time next year we'll be on a European trip with Rovers.

Very proud of Rovers' performance tonight. The normal capacity for the new stadium is 3,000 until the new stand is completed. Just a shame Rovers couldn't play in the green and white hoops.

Leading scorer Gary Twigg was rested until late in the game, as Rovers have a massive game at the weekend against their arch rivals and reigning champions Bohemian FC. Rovers are two points behind Bohs who have a game in hand, but they still have to play each other twice.

We watched it in a local pub and met an Irish bloke from Drogheda, who claimed to have a Rovers shirt awaiting washing at home. He's just taken the tenancy of a local pub and plans to show Setanta Ireland League of Ireland matches (if necessary upstairs as a private party :wink: ). So, subject to this weekend's result, if the championship stays on a knife-edge we may be able to watch the key games live, without the expense of going to Dublin.

Which pub?

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mrs. S and I had a great time in Dublin last week. :drinking45: Robert Bayly (who my very reliable :sauce: tells me is a trial-target for Gerry Taggart) came on at 0-1 with about 15 minutes to go, and scored the all-important equaliser.

Last night Rovers finished off the job in Tel-Aviv with a 1-0 victory which sees them take on the mighty Juventus in the third qualifying round of the Europa League, which could be worth at least £500,000 to the Club run by its fans with a part-time playing staff. :pow:

So we're off to Dublin again next Thursday for the first leg against Juve. The latest Rovers' dream continues.

Mrs. S and I had a great time in Dublin last week. :drinking45: Robert Bayly (who my very reliable :sauce: tells me is a trial-target for Gerry Taggart) came on at 0-1 with about 15 minutes to go, and scored the all-important equaliser.

Last night Rovers finished off the job in Tel-Aviv with a 1-0 victory which sees them take on the mighty Juventus in the third qualifying round of the Europa League, which could be worth at least £500,000 to the Club run by its fans with a part-time playing staff. :pow:

So we're off to Dublin again next Thursday for the first leg against Juve. The latest Rovers' dream continues.

i forgot that they were playing here but i could not walk ( broke my small toe) ,otherwise i would have gone to watch it

Shamrock Rovers have resisted calls to move Thursday’s high-profile Europa League qualifier with Juventus to a larger stadium, preferring to back themselves in front of their passionate home support at the Tallaght Stadium, with a request for a special dispensation from Uefa to erect 3,000 temporary seats to bring the capacity to 9,000. At the moment Juventus are entitled to 300 tickets (five per cent of capacity), with the remainder likely to be snapped up quickly by the club's 3,500 members and season ticket holders.

In these days of greed and fans being taken for granted, it is very refreshing to read what club chairman Jonathan Roche said:

"Getting the extra seats is not a big deal for us, if it's a no, it's a no. We're only worried as a club about our fans, season ticket holders and the people who come see us every week.

"Anything else is a bonus, if we had 15,000 people there or if the Aviva was available and we got 30,000 at it -- how many of those people would go see us against Sporting Fingal the following week?

"It's great, but it's kind of a side issue. If we can get a few more people in, then brilliant. If we don't, we don't."

"It means everything to everybody" he said, "to the fans, the members, the people of Tallaght and the local council - we waited a long time for that stadium and Real Madrid were here last year, and now Rovers are bringing Juventus.

"I'm wearing a top at the moment that we had in the First Division - it's five years old. From being relegated to this, it's not a fluke. It's through hard work from everybody."

Manager Michael O'Neill echoed his chairman's sentiments and said the drive of the supporters is spurring him and his players towards greater success.

"That's the big thing," O'Neill said. "This club, it stayed alive because of people's love for the club. They refused, under any circumstances, to let the club die.

"That's why nights like this are fantastic for those people - if we can put a trophy on the table it would be fantastic.

"When you come to Rovers you can sense what it means to the club, what it means to bring success to the club and the players are desperate for that. I'm desperate for it and I think we're going the right way about it."

Note: 400 fans turned up at Dublin Airport to welcome the victorious players back from Israel.

Mrs. S and I are proud to have continued to be welcomed by the Hooperati since our first meeting in the Isle of Man in 1997, and it's beyond all of our wildest dreams that the club has risen from the ashes to be in a position to play Juve. It's going to be another craicing night! :drinking45:

For the return leg in Modena on August 5th, Rovers will receive an allocation of 1,000. That number would have been greater had the Juve’s temporary home, the Stadio Olimpico, not already been booked out by U2 – that’s seen by many Rovers fans to be adding insult to injury as they can’t stand Bono!

The match will instead take place 300kms down the autostrada at the Stadio Alberto Braglia, the home venue of Serie B side Modena, with a capacity of just 19,000.

Video of the trip to Tel Aviv:

http://vimeo.com/13670683

Sean Gregan should recognise one of the faces.

Tribute to the SRFC fans from a journalist in Israel:

Just wanted to say that you and your fellow Rovers supporters made a very good impression as one of noisiest and colourful crowds that ever visited Israel.

A couple of dozens of your Rovers fans left a much bigger impact then the thousands that Celtic and Rangers fans did when they came to Bloomfield stadium here in Tel Aviv.

The local press came down hard on Bnei yehuda naming their defeat as one of the most embarrassing moments in the history of Israeli football. The Bnei yehuda fans were engry at their management for not setting the match to an earlier hour and by that taking an advantege of the hot weather.

I wish Rovers all the best against Juve. I know there is a huge quality deference between the two clubs but you have something they don't - Heart and Enthusiasm.

Cheers,

Avi.

The locals were gracious in defeat and applauded the SRFC fans out of the stadium.

Meanwhile back in Tallaght, Dublin:

Rovers put another 50,000 Euros into their coffers yesterday by selling 500 season tickets for the remainder of the season.

The club suffered a blow when UEFA rejected their advances to secure 4,000 more temporary seats at both ends of Tallaght Stadium, but this setback will be tempered by the money they will get from Silvio Berlusconi's Mediaset company, who will stump up 200,000 Euros for live broadcasting rights, while RTE have also paid to secure the rights to beam the game live on both television and radio. Watch on t'internet and look out for me and Mrs. Sideburns!

Rovers have also produced special merchandise for the occasion and are looking into a pre-game Fanfest area, which -- if it goes ahead -- will offer food, drink and entertainment akin to the recent World Cup.

I’m looking forward to seeing Diego play for Juve - I can’t wait!

Mrs. S and I had another memorable day in Tallaght, Dublin yesterday :drinking45: and we were treated like honoured guests by the Hooperati.

Match report:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...de-Ireland.html

Great wit was shown by the SRFC fans, especially when Del Piero came on as a sub to a good ovation followed by the chant: “You’ll never play for Rovers!” :grin:

Class tells and you can't afford to miss chances when then arise against such quality opposition. Match highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c3fgZe_9VI

The Irish equivalent of our chippy is the chipper, and last Thursday's game against Juventus was sponsored by none other than the Irish Traditional Italian Chipper Association.

Clients of bookmaker Paddy Power also received free pizzas from local company Mizzoni after Juventus won the game.

The tie may already be lost but Rovers have sold about 800 tickets for the second leg in Modena.

The Irish equivalent of our chippy is the chipper, and last Thursday's game against Juventus was sponsored by none other than the Irish Traditional Italian Chipper Association.

Clients of bookmaker Paddy Power also received free pizzas from local company Mizzoni after Juventus won the game.

The tie may already be lost but Rovers have sold about 800 tickets for the second leg in Modena.

whats the link to Shamrock Diego , do you support them ?

My Mum was from Drogheda - I don't usually hear a lot about the place so it jumped out at me when I read your post.

We went there once in 1977 to visit all the family.

Keep enjoying the craic Terry!

whats the link to Shamrock Diego , do you support them ?

You have already been pointed to the start of this thread but your question gives me the excuse to repeat this part of it:

For years I feared that Oldham Athletic would become homeless - what happened at Milltown would happen in our mill town, with houses being built on Boundary Park. It is many thanks to The Three Amigos that this has been avoided, and not only are we still in residence at BP but, hopefully, we are looking onwards and upwards. However, as the crowds stay away, the interest in Latics wanes and the country’s economic crisis deepens, the future remains uncertain.

I think the efforts of the Rovers’ diehard supporters, who have kept the faith and believed in the dream, when odds have been stacked against them for 21 years, epitomise what football means to the working man, so often forgotten in these days of multi-million pound TV rights. They have proven time after time that their loyalty to the Club knows no bounds and if anyone can secure its future surely it is the fans.

In summary, I cannot do better than quote from the Shamrock Rovers Ultras’ web site:

“Gone are the speculators and carpetbaggers - those who were only interested in the club while the possibility of making vast profits from land deals and property speculation existed. Forced to the very edge of extinction, saved only by the intervention of the fans who maintained the club entirely for several months and who stood firm at the end to supply the funds to buy the club out of examinership.

To the men and women who follow this great club, and who supported it while it seemed ever and ever more likely that it might cease to exist, the past and future generations owe eternal gratitude.

No one player, no manager, no director or chairman is bigger than this club - they will come and go, but the fans will remain true to our colours and traditions.

Our belief in our destiny is unwavering.”

I would hope and pray that if it ever came to standing up and being counted, there would be enough of the "Latics 'til I die" brigade to keep our great Club alive.

Oh yeah I nearly forgot, I also follow SRFC because of the people involved and the craic they create. :grin:

You have already been pointed to the start of this thread but your question gives me the excuse to repeat this part of it:

For years I feared that Oldham Athletic would become homeless - what happened at Milltown would happen in our mill town, with houses being built on Boundary Park. It is many thanks to The Three Amigos that this has been avoided, and not only are we still in residence at BP but, hopefully, we are looking onwards and upwards. However, as the crowds stay away, the interest in Latics wanes and the country’s economic crisis deepens, the future remains uncertain.

I think the efforts of the Rovers’ diehard supporters, who have kept the faith and believed in the dream, when odds have been stacked against them for 21 years, epitomise what football means to the working man, so often forgotten in these days of multi-million pound TV rights. They have proven time after time that their loyalty to the Club knows no bounds and if anyone can secure its future surely it is the fans.

In summary, I cannot do better than quote from the Shamrock Rovers Ultras’ web site:

“Gone are the speculators and carpetbaggers - those who were only interested in the club while the possibility of making vast profits from land deals and property speculation existed. Forced to the very edge of extinction, saved only by the intervention of the fans who maintained the club entirely for several months and who stood firm at the end to supply the funds to buy the club out of examinership.

To the men and women who follow this great club, and who supported it while it seemed ever and ever more likely that it might cease to exist, the past and future generations owe eternal gratitude.

No one player, no manager, no director or chairman is bigger than this club - they will come and go, but the fans will remain true to our colours and traditions.

Our belief in our destiny is unwavering.”

I would hope and pray that if it ever came to standing up and being counted, there would be enough of the "Latics 'til I die" brigade to keep our great Club alive.

Oh yeah I nearly forgot, I also follow SRFC because of the people involved and the craic they create. :grin:

"with houses being built on Boundary Park. It is many thanks to The Three Amigos that this has been avoided, and not only are we still in residence at BP "

Sadly not the case though...well, not anymore with the Failsworth dream and roots being ripped out for those houses to be built. Anyhow...that's a different subject...

As for the game today...what a strike by Del Piero...that truly was a wondergoal to end the tie of which even 2-0 down aggregate, 70 minutes into the 2nd leg it was still alive. But a touch of genius ended it...a 35yr screaming Free-kick...one of those moments you say "he's surely not going to strike from there...."

All in all...a good effort Shamrock...did yourselves proud as many lesser teams would've crumbled.

As for the game today...what a strike by Del Piero...that truly was a wondergoal to end the tie of which even 2-0 down aggregate, 70 minutes into the 2nd leg it was still alive. But a touch of genius ended it...a 35yr screaming Free-kick...one of those moments you say "he's surely not going to strike from there...."

All in all...a good effort Shamrock...did yourselves proud as many lesser teams would've crumbled.

Credit is due to the man whose Auntie Lucy used to run a restaurant in Burton-on-Trent. :Italy:

http://www.footylounge.com/films//juventus..._4a0ca4bec.html

In spite of being drenched, the Hooperati sang "This is the best trip I've ever been on".

• 1 month later...

After almost seven months without my laptop, I've celebrated its return tonight by watching Rovers beat nearest rivals St. Pat's 3-1 away from home to put 10 points between them at the top of the League. :sign0173: Arch-rivals Bohemians are 7 points behind Rovers with seven games to play and the two clubs have still to play each other.

When I've uploaded over 1700 pictures I should get back into circulation on here, and who knows, there may even be the odd picture quiz once again. B)

• 1 month later...

After winning the League of Ireland Championship for the 15th time in the 1993/94 season, Rovers have experienced life in the doldrums, as explained in the opening post of this thread. Tonight those doldrums have been cast aside as the Hoops have won their 16th Championship title. By reclaiming its place at the summit of the Irish game the club can really start to regard its turbulent voyage as finally being over.

Together with oafc_ok, Mrs. S. and I followed every kick live with RTE online tonight, and we can only imagine the pride felt by those fans who have stuck with their homeless club for twenty years, through thin and thinner. Particularly the 500 plus fans, who continue to contribute 50 Euros per month to keep alive their beloved club, which is run by its supporters. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, and I implore Latics supporters to see this as an example whereby, by keeping the Faith, we won’t let the bastards grind us down.

On 14th November Shamrock Rovers play Sligo Rovers in the FAI Cup Final at the new Aviva Stadium (Lansdowne Road) in Dublin. Although the club has won the FAI Cup a record 24 times, it hasn’t won it since 1987. So this is the opportunity to relive those glory days, which seemed an impossibility not too long ago, by completing the double this season, and we‘ll be there to see if the dream can be realised.

5125517824_e433ed1554_z.jpg

Step back to see how 800 tiny pictures = one big picture

• 3 weeks later...

Twenty-three years after losing its home to property development; 16 years since it last won the League title; five years on from when it faced extinction; and just twenty months since it stopped playing on borrowed pitches and started a new life in a new stadium — Shamrock Rovers attempted to complete the greatest comeback since Lazarus on Sunday in the Aviva Stadium by trying to add he FAI Cup to the recently-won League Championship.

Mrs. S. and I were treated as honoured guests in Dublin once again, as we joined the Rovers supporters in a pre-match party. :drinking45: Supporters then followed Rovers’ tradition of marching behind a white horse from Ringsend, where the club was originally formed, to the Cup Final venue.

One of the Hooperati wore his old hole-filled knitted scarf, proudly displaying the Latics badges he was given in the Isle of Man in ‘97.

5180840663_b73703bea5_z.jpg

I also met the lad with whom I swapped shirts in ‘97 and it’s great that these friendships have stood the test of time.

I suppose it would have been too much of a fairy tale to win the double and it wasn‘t to be. This latest chapter in the club's history ended 0-0 after extra time and a 2-0 win for Sligo Rovers in the penalty shoot-out, after four great saves by Sligo‘s reserve keeper.

5183074668_8d013db176_z.jpg
Here’s a video to give you a bit the flavour of the day, including the supporters’ reaction to those penalty saves at the opposite end of the stadium.

http://vimeo.com/16880877

We also had a good time at the wake following the match. :drinking45::drinking45::drinking45: I'm struggling with my voice at the moment but it should be OK for Daggers.

The long-suffering supporters, who own Shamrock Rovers and have stuck with the club through the hardest of times, now have the Champions League qualifiers to look forward to next season.

• 8 months later...

It's 14 years this week since Latics fans were in the Isle of Man and friendships were struck with Wrexham, PNE and Shamrock Rovers' fans, which have stood the test of time.

We’ve had a busy summer following Shamrock Rovers :Ireland::drinking66: . If you’re interested, my Blogs are on the ernieflag site:

The Latics Six Go Hooping In Dublin

The Latics Three Take On The Champions League

From Tallaght to Tallinn With Hordes Of Hoops